Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's be honest here, prior to your HAMB life what era were you into?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am a child of the late 60's/early 70's. I'm a 68 Model. I grew up around hot rods since dad was into drag racing, boat racing, hot rods/street rods.

I sort of gravitated towards the late 60's/early 70's era cars. Slot mags, diamond tuck and roll, lot of power, velocity stacks, raised white letter tires. Most of the cars I still tend to think of always have a 60's/ 70's look in my head. Probably considered gaudy by todays standards, but I still love em.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was never really into the ZZ Top or Heart beat stuff from the 80's, but I am sure there are folks that identify with that era.

So fess up closet mini truckers and muscle car guys.

Hombre, OLSKOOL57, Knghtcadi and 17 others like this.
  2. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Pro Street -- 1990 my first old car was a 61 Falcon. Was gonna be a steamrollered Pro Street car. I cut the floors and firewall, had a big engine all done up. And then I lost my shop and got out of the hobby until I finished college and got a shop again. Jumped in to the old stuff. Even in the late 80's Street Rods just never felt "right" to me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    wicarnut and Roothawg like this.
  3. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Born in 1945. Stayed with what I grew up with.
    Pete

4. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

owned a handful of muscle cars, first car was a 54 ford though so i guess my muscle car period was just my experimenting in college phase

wicarnut, UNSHINED 2 and Roothawg like this.

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Child of the 70's here as well. Still have a soft spot for street freaks, Americans and the whine of a Roots.

scott27, jim snow, wicarnut and 2 others like this.
  6. flatford39

flatford39

Keeping it to a minimum has always been my route. Always stayed away from obvious bling. The simpler the better....and that is why I am here.

7. 60's muscle, Drag Racing, and cruising........ Then one day, I wanted a big ol'e barge that would haul ass........
    here I be.......

wicarnut and Roothawg like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

How about women

King ford, KJSR and blowby like this.
  9. Smiffy

Smiffy

Mid 1960's to mid 70's stuff never got into the muscle cars street machines progressing into rods

OLDSMAN and Roothawg like this.
  10. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I was born in 1961, and have always been more into '50's and '60's stuff more than the earlier rides. I would guess that is because there were not too many pre-war cars and trucks in my native Ohio, because of the rust factor. I would actually look forward to new car intro time, until the '73's came out with the federally mandated, chrome plated logs that looked like a saddle on a sow.

Squablow, LOU WELLS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have pictures from the 80-90s at the street rod nats and back to the fiftys. Lots of billitt, monochromatic paint, tweed. I look back and say to myself what did you think was so kool about that SHIT!

13. Life before the HAMB? Is there such a thing?

Ben

14. raven

raven

First car was a souped up 60 Falcon. That pretty much says it.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. 32, 33, 34 Roadsters & 3 Window Coupes, 40 Deluxe Coupes built in 58 to 62

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  16. squirrel

squirrel

pretty much the same stuff. But I've moved up to some more serious go fast cars, and also having more fun playing with crappy old stockers. I guess the main difference is that now all the cars are so many more years older.

LOU WELLS, wicarnut and Roothawg like this.
  17. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Muscle Car's as a kid, Late 70's early 80's(bought first car at 14 in 1980), Chevy II' kinda heavy had 3 "63"SS's, was saving All the parts for the one I put a cage in.... Then found a 55 stepside, It all changed! This nova I bought after being in a fire when I was 17 for 300. No drivetrain, put the straight axle/frame on the caged one, but actually put a 194/3-speed/posi in it an went racing with a 150. Total into it, Then rolled a pos Monte I bought for the built SBC 400, Well it was time for the swap... Fun car last year of hi school.... The truck I built in 88, 283, L-79 12 bolt, 4:56, 22 trans, aluminum flywheel...made engine plate, drop cross member all hiem linkage etc... It was rather uncomfortable picking my girlfriend up at her parents house... With Blow Me on the windshield, PS: the Chevy II would actually pull the left front hi enough to clear a 12oz. Can... Of course I had a Vega converter.. h-hee I stopped counting how many cars I owned at 300 an that was ten years ago... KIMG4060.JPG KIMG4058.JPG KIMG4059.JPG KIMG4061.JPG KIMG4057.JPG

catdad49, pat59, LOU WELLS and 4 others like this.
  18. badgascoupe

badgascoupe

Was into late 60's cars first,then wasted some time stock car racing and now into prewar hotrods

scrap metal 48, wicarnut and Roothawg like this.
  19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

20. 56poncho.jpg 57chevy.jpg 57Ponchoonstreet.jpg For awhile I really thought I was into muscle cars [early 70s] but I ended up swapping my 68 Goat for a 57 bel air hardtop. From that point it's been 30s to 50s cars except for my daily drivers including one unfortunate 80s Porsche water pumper D.D. An exception was a very nice, lowered 68 chevy shortbox but I ended up swapping it for a nice little 49 ford F-1 with a 289 in it.
    All my projects have been done in an early 60s style except my 33 ford pickup. I did it in a way I thought my dad would have done after coming home from the war.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  21. gene-koning

gene-koning

A teenager of the late 60 & early 70s, dirt track racing was where I was, and muscle cars were a cheap diversion. It took until the very late 80s to move from dirt tracks towards street rods, by then the muscle car guys were too much into restorations rather then hot rods. The street rods provided the freedom to express what I liked. Gene

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before ? I never had a before - I've lived for my family & hot rods before I even considered what I liked doing (no such thing as "into" when I was a kid) as hot rodding. I just enjoyed taking things apart, changing things and putting them back together again. Just the way I'm wired.

23. dan griffin

dan griffin

As a charter member of NHRA I have been doing this since a 3/8s X 3/8 Was a big deal.

NoSurf, loudbang, LOU WELLS and 7 others like this.
  24. upspirate

upspirate

Was interested in muscle cars and drag boats before I could drive. Duster 340, Dart Swinger 340,GTO, Nova SS got a V-drive boat in '77. Started in street rodding in '85, but always leaned towards the old resto-rod & rolled & pleated look. Now just a pile of parts in the garage that I'm not sure if I'll get around to

wicarnut and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

I was into my highschool cars, 70 Chevy pu, 56 ford pu, late 60's cars... graduated into Model A club. Then 32 33 34's.
    I now have a great appreciation for pre-60's pure traditional (primarily HAMB influence) & commitment to preservation of historically correct Hot Rods.

. . .

wicarnut likes this.
  26. Born in '45 and was used to seeing chopped, channeled and primer hot rods. Still like them. Current car suits me fine. 305.jpg

27. TWKundrat

TWKundrat

30's & 40's. Born too damn late! ('86) My first car was a '37 Buick Special that I still own. I was more into restored cars growing up and I'm still into them. Especially since most of the rods when I was younger were pastel colored with tilt columns, digital gauges and full of billet aluminum. Then my grandpa showed me some pictures of his '32 roadster that he built in the 40's and I was hooked.

28. My first car was a 1932 Ford 5 window coupe at 12 years old, my next car was a 1954 Ford with a 390, then a 1963 Falcon with a straight axle and in the early 70's I built my first ground up hot rod, 1930 For pickup and my wife drove a 40 sedan while our kids were in school

I always liked to old styles and still do, the hamb is a good fit for my likes. HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hombre, Yamagrant, LOU WELLS and 5 others like this.
  29. When I was 14, my mother said to me, "If girls had wheels, I would already be married". I didn't have a car yet, but I had a lot of those little hotrod books.
    Bob

30. Before HAMB? Setting records on Dragbikes.

wicarnut, chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.