Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "Let the madness begin" - Geemann's 37 Truck Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geemann51, Nov 27, 2010.

1. Mr63

Mr63
    from Gilbert Az

Thanks!

2. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Remember too Gregg that your coilovers for the front are adjustable and you can get up to about 2 inches out of it to tailor it to your needs. Should work out really nice!!!

I cant wait to see how this build comes along. I cant wait to drive it too. hehehe.

Lets see the start to that Sexy ass drive train that is going in that baby. I know you've mocked it up a time or two.

3. geemann51

geemann51

Ok got to play with the truck a bit. No major updates but I did a way with the MII struts. They look too hokey so I will convert the control arms to the strutless type

Next I removed some of the tube that was in to mock up the TCI pedal assembly I would like to use. I was a little concerned about space but think it's going to work especially after switching to a short water pump. I think I still need to monkey with the radiator placement but am encouraged to what I got so far.

A couple of pics ringside with the new iPhone app...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. geemann51

geemann51

With the 4 speed

[​IMG]

5. Dang son, you're not foolin' 'round are you haha, looks awesome.

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Hey, quit takin all our pristine Okie projects to Tejas dude! lol

Looks good, I visited your '51 last week so it wouldn't get lonley.

7. Freeland

Freeland

Looks great so far and have always admired/day dreamt looking at it at the pig roasts... BTW, let me know if you ever want to get rid of those 16s you picked up with Jacks 49... ;) know you mentioned on his thread you had them for the truck...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. geemann51

geemann51

Thanks guys, nothing milestone buy I'm at least getting ideas on how it needs to progress.

Hows the 51 look George? Tom mentioned he hasn't been able to do to much to it.

Freeland, I'll let you know but would really like to use em'...

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool project, Gregg! I dig those pickups, especially with the right stance. Keep it going!

Malcolm

10. geemann51

geemann51

Thanks Nick, I have watching your build for inspiration. Rightback at ya'....

11. Xtrom

Xtrom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Forman, ND

Looks like a really good body to start with.

12. jerry

jerry

Looking very good G!

You still got 3 months!

I'll have to stop by in April, see you then.

jerry

13. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Looking good. Drink more beer and get it done faster.... Just saying....

14. geemann51

geemann51

So I left off mocking things up bit and figured it was high time to move forward. I knew that the frame and some of the fabrication would need to be gone through and cleaned up to not only look better but also to ensure that things would be safe. Fortunately for me, I am good pals with Justin B who agreed to hang back the week after Round Up and help me get a few things done. The plan was that I would take a week of vacation after Roundup and we would work on the truck to fix and clean up the frame, mount the engine, transmission, c- notch the rear, and install the new MII control arms then whatever else we could get done.
    Justin came out for Round Up and as an added bonus (and some good ol’ comic relief), brought Magoozi with him from So Cal. After a Roundup weekend that couldn’t be beat, we started mucking with the truck Monday morning after coffee. As you could tell Justin and Miguel are ready for action….
    [​IMG]
    We then got the motor and transmission in place and started to take some measurements…
    [​IMG]
    The serendipitous score of the Round Up swap meet was the toe board that I picked up from Austin’s very own Hot Rod Bill. Justin was insistent that we start by truing up the floor and stretching the cab so that our placements would be spot on.
    [​IMG]
    The one real cool thing that I started to learn was that you didn’t need a lot of fancy tools to tackle this job. Justin made a makeshift portapower with the jack out of the Tahoe and we soon had the cab resembling its original form.
    [​IMG]
    Once we had the cab kind of where we wanted it, we set out to getting the motor mounts roughed in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Once the motor mounts were kind of figured, Justin went to work carving up some flanges for the removable transmission cross member…
    [​IMG]
    …then on to final fitting the motor mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. geemann51

geemann51

I had this really slick TCI brake and clutch pedal assembly, the next feat was to get this installed. It took a little finagling but soon took shape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right about now, Justin decided we needed a floor, as quick as a whistle he started to slice some sheet metal…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    While he exercised his mad skills, I went to work getting the new control arms installed….
    [​IMG]
    When I came up for beer, err I mean air..., Low and behold what a site to see, the floor was really taking shape….
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As Justin finished the floor, I worked on making some patches for the frame and some “c” notches (though we they are probably over kill)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  16. geemann51

geemann51

Right up to now things are going alright, and then we decided to strip everything down and flip the frame. That’s when we started running into some rot, crazy torch work, and had to get serious about making things a little bit more structurally sound…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Justin went to town stitching it all back together…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  17. geemann51

geemann51

Even Ol’ Javier showed up to supervise and drink my beer…
    [​IMG]
    Putting in the notch…
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    …then it was time to weld in the gussets and finalize the new “A” arms…
    [​IMG]
    …and finish up the transmission cross member.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Believe it or not, that was Monday through Saturday, come Saturday night we were beat, but got a lot accomplished and spent an hour or so putting it back together to get a glimpse of what the final stance is going to look like though we are still a ways a way…
    [​IMG]

A very special THANK YOU to Justin B for giving up a week of his time and sharing his talents. It’s always a blast to hang out with him and I learned a lot working alongside of him.

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

AWESOME STUFF GUYS!!!! It's gonna a great truck man!!!! :)

19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great progress and a good friend to help you out... very cool, Gregg.
    Looking good!

20. big creep

big creep

wow it just gets better all the time!

21. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Dam, the minute I left you guys, you got a lot done, it's probably because I talk to much and ripp too many farts! the truck looks good and I am already missing the farmer John store , I called Justin today to make shure he did,nt fall out of the plane, but he did'nt answer, maybe you adopted a new son, and Justin is still there. Anyway take care and thanks for all your hospitality while I was there.

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Neat that you've got the OEM Ford Mustang II/Pinto/Bobcat crossmember up front rather than a fabricated crossmember.
    The 37 cab is pretty much the same as the 35-36 except for the vee'd windshield opening. It'll make a lookatheragain piece with the 36 grille, 37 hood and split windshield!
    Enjoy!

23. Rusty

Rusty

Looking good buddy

24. kisam

kisam

Greg, you guys were gettn it! Is Moma happy or what?

25. Hey Gregg, the truck is turning out nice, I'm sure the wife is happy seeing some progress. It's great having some friends to help, looks like PnP might happen for you this year eh? Wish I lived closer I'd love to help you drink beer,uhh work on the truck. Good seeing you in Austin, let me know if there's anything I can do for ya.
    Gary

26. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

Boy that was "Livin The Dream" those two weeks. The Round-up week, cruisin around, bbq's, best car show anywhere, swap meet etc. and then a week building with your buds! Life don't get no better! Great job guys, thanks for sharing the pictures.

27. While looking at the floor picture I couldn't help but wonder if you made a flip up panel or something to access that brake m/c?
    Just a thought ;)

28. geemann51

geemann51

Thanks everyone...

Kathy - Yep, she's pretty excited.

Bill - Agreed, this was one of the best vacations ever, it totally kicked butt. Thanks again for the deal on toe board, it was the star of the show as we relied very heavily on it's placement for a baseline reference. You don't have a firewall laying around do you?

Gary - We did as a matter of fact, I just didn't post a pic of it but will....

29. ^^^^^^ ok, cool just had me wondering there.

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Great progress.