Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let see some chain driven blowers!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatred53, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Dexter The Dog

Dexter The Dog

Is that just the stock Detroit Diesel gear drive with the cover flipped?
    That setup would save a grand for using an old 671.

I'm seeing blowers going to scrap metal on the sides of old dump truck engines on a regular basis...
    It's amazing how many of them just get thrown away.

Lovin' that setup on the pic posted by borntoolate

2. K.L

K.L

I NEED to know more about this car, that is the coolest thing I've seen!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-8-8_3-58-11.png 2017
    Hello,

Nothing says chain drive than the original Howard Cam Twin 671 SBC FED from the 59-60 era of drag racing. The Jack Chrisman driven FED won a lot of races at Lions and other local So Cal race tracks. The “Twin Bear” as it was called, tried many versions of streamlining, starting with the well formed aluminum sheet and the famous custom “plywood” panel. Then eventually, a well molded metal panel covered up the front for the Nationals.

My brother was a Howard Cam fanatic. Starting with the full race Howard Cam and kit, flywheel, trans adapter, and if the fancy Isky Gilmer Belt Drive set up for the SBC did not just come out for our motor (with our special deal), the chain drive was our first choice.

Jnaki

The chain is a crude but functioning way to attach all of the drive pulleys. It is also dangerous as it may break and fly outward, so, the need for a fully enclosed cover. The chain is as strong as the weakest link…We all remember our bicycle chains breaking a link and flying off. The downfall of the enclosed chain drives (or any chain drive kit) was the introduction of the wide industrial Gilmer Belt kits on aluminum pulleys. That introduction was not for a few more months later in 1960.

But, sometime in April-March of 1960, Reath Automotive started marketing a chain drive for competition use only. The difference being a comparison to narrow belts that did break…think fan belts stretched to the max. They still had belt driven superchargers for the street in kit form, but this new chain drive was for competition only.
    upload_2017-8-8_3-59-47.png
    upload_2017-8-8_4-0-24.png 60917
    upload_2017-8-8_4-1-37.png
    upload_2017-8-8_4-1-55.png Lions Dragstrip Museum
    upload_2017-8-8_4-2-13.png 62417
    upload_2017-8-8_4-2-35.png
    upload_2017-8-8_4-2-49.png
    upload_2017-8-8_4-3-9.png
    A great find of one of the earliest photos of the "Twin Bear."
    from 296ardun: Thanks, Dave...

upload_2017-8-8_4-4-50.png
    "VERY early Howard Cam Special, still running carburetors ... if I remember correctly, Glenn Ward was one of the first drivers of this car....before Jack Chrisman took the helm."

4. mickeyc

mickeyc

In the sixties the neighbor hood top fuel dragster of
    Albert Waites ran a chain drive on the Small block Chevy,
    he and some friends campaigned. I don't have any photos,
    but the car was a screamer at the Laplace Dragway.