Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let me Vent

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To re-cap, I am building a Speed 33 roadster. As such it is not a traditional hot-rod so I don't have a traditional build thread, just a non-traditional and occasional update. These are cool bodies but needs some traditional styling cues for cool points and to make my blown fatty and QC feel at home.

I posted a want-ad a couple of months ago for a 34 cowl section with a good vent area. The HAMB came through and a nice piece of metal California steel showed up in the mail via Troy @NorCalCoupe
    upload_2016-11-15_14-15-14.png
    This is the subject, lots of virgin steel in need of some ventilation.
    upload_2016-11-15_14-16-47.png
    It is hard to take a cut off wheel to a body that cost more than some complete cars I have owned but I found slace and courage in a couple fingers of Marker's and made the cut. Measure twice turned into two weekends of measuring to make sure I had this right. to complicate things there was an 1/9th inch gap between the new hood height and the reproduction cowl of the Speed 33 body. To compensate I knew the cowl had to be cut and raised. The cowl vent was a natural conclusion that Kiwtinbender and I had while checking the body out one afternoon. Once the Maker's kicked in I made the cut which was almost a one and done. The front cut is inside the hood opening so I could elevate the nose of the cowl to match the hood.
    upload_2016-11-15_14-25-44.png
    gaps are tidy, a bit of welding, a lot of grinding and another Maker's 46...one step closer to being done. All in thanks to the HAMB, without which I would not have the connections, inspiration and dedication to see a long project through. Thanks guys!
    upload_2016-11-15_14-28-59.png

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Where's the rant?

All I see is some well deserved "pride" expressed. Well done! ;)

edit:
    Having inadvertantly substituted 'rant' for 'vent' (is that a form of dyslexia),
    I not only missed the wordplay, but made a dumbass post....:( except for the
    compliment on the workmanship......:)

Ray

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  3. john dioli

john dioli

Very nice work great job

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Attention citizen, step away from the bottle:eek:
    Now pass it down, we're here for you!

tfeverfred likes this.
  5. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That's a real nice vent!!!:)

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can always count on you for support sir!

7. flatford39

flatford39

Vent away...nice job. Pretty clever post.

8. Good job. It's always satisfying when you take a chance and WIN!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. belair

belair

10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I know that measuring for two weekends feeling! Looks killer :)

12. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True that! It's always a tense moment but when your done, and you stagger drunkenly backward and take-in your handy work, there is a sense of accomplishment that money cant buy. I often thank God for the skill set to do what I do as a hobby.

Time to get off work and go home and play in the garage. Thanks for the kind words.

clunker likes this.
  13. Nice Maker's commercial. ;)

Bandit Billy and Tman like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One Makers 46= ok welding
    Two Makers 46= getting better
    Three Makers 46=ok, but I have a grinder;)

Tim and Bandit Billy like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Looks killer, and will give the car some character. I too am building a 'glass '34, an old build based on what may be a very early Speedway body, that has a cowl vent. The vent is a nice touch in your car, kudos for cutting up your body to include it!

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Childs play. Try being right hand tread with a left hand tread woman. Do you run a die over it so it'll fit or move on ?

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Nice work and word play.

Hell, I made a post titled, "Finding the Gospel" and a Mod thought I was doing a religious thang.o_O

Bandit Billy and Johnny Gee like this.
  18. "Let me vent", was great, but "My water broke" was brilliant. Bravo.

Just looked through all your threads again, we can only see bits and pieces (even more interesting this way), but this build is sick, well done.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  19. Nice that you are putting some original features into that souless smoothee body! Love the hole in the hood, and the leather hold downs, got a better shot of that engine?

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

Nice Ride ! Admire your courage for cutting on a $$$ up body, Hell ! us "Old Timers" bought nice houses for the price of your new body. Very KOOL !

Bandit Billy likes this.
  21. Nice work,we need more guys to learn how to properly vent,way too many cowls have been filled. HRP

22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks great! I've thought about doing a similar vent on my '27 T....

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

early pic, air cleaners doing the Sydney opera house thing, I had a fever when I took this picture and the prescription... was more cowl vent!
    upload_2016-11-16_10-37-56.png
    I sold my vette I owned for 18 years to buy that body so you might say I bought it using plastic.
    Thanks clunker, I try to be respectful of the site and post only what I consider to be relevant and informative since it is not a true traditional build.

Thanks for the creds peeps.

Attached Files:

Tjompen, clunker, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So Danny, what is your opinion on the chances that I could re-contour a 32 cowl vent and make it work on the cowl of my 26 RPU that presently has the gas door removed and filled ? :confused: :D
    Not very good I'm guessing. :)

25. Larry,I believe if you wanted to put a 32 vent in the cowl of your roadster pickup I have no doubt you couldn't do it,you have the skill. HRP

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. I always thought receassing the stock T vent so it was flush would be cool.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim likes this.