Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Leroi Tex Smith.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTFR8, Jun 11, 2015.

1. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

It is a sad day today as I post I have lost a friend. Tex passed away yesterday (11th) here in Castlemaine. About a month ago I called to see him and we sat and talked Hot Rods in his lounge room. I will always remember him as a quietly spoken man but what ever he had to say was always of great interest to me and the fact he would share his knowledge.

God Speed my friend you will be missed.

Model T1 and WDobos like this.
  2. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Very sad news. He was one of the really influential guys in the hot rod world, to me.

3. Sorry for your loss.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - sincere sympathy goes out to his family, friends and fans. he did a lot for our world

5. Breaks my heart,I have always admired his writing and his simple way of building hot rods.

He has made many contributions to the hobby of hot rodding.

I have most all his publications and really enjoyed his take on do it yourself building.

God Speed Tex. HRP

40fordtudor likes this.
  6. williebill

williebill

So sorry to hear this. Had several good conversations with Tex over the years . Always enjoyed his writing. RIP

7. lonestar395

lonestar395
    from Australia

That is very sad news to me, a truly inspirational Hotrodder.

This will leave a gap that will be hard to fill...

8. Tex did so much for this hobby of ours, what a loss.

9. Wow!!! went to collage with him and Peggy. My prayers go to the kids. Stacy, Siearra, Shanna and son Scott.

10. Wow, sad news. Tex was a wonderful man who always had time to talk rationally about cars.

11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

God bless his family & friends in a time of need. I read one or two of his books as a teenager & even though I don't remember all of it, I always felt he was a genuine & honest person by his writing.

12. Ol Deuce

Ol Deuce
    from Mt. U.S.A.

Tex was a good friend! He would always stop by my shop witha kind word RIP Tex!!

13. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

[​IMG]
    I did call to see Tex Wednesday last week but the conversation I had with him in his home about a month before that was the way I will forever remember him. Always willing to share information and to help you as best he could.

Model T1 and harpo1313 like this.
  14. Tex Smith's old "dollar a pound" roadster. HRP

[​IMG]

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

I bought a few of his books years ago which where very informative and helpful, so very grateful for his insight to the Hot Rods of the world.
    May God Bless his family.

16. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Wow, Sad News indeed!!!!!!
    Loved reading about Leroi's "Tin Hunts", His 34 Olds powered tub, The low buck 30 roadster, I have a shot of Bill Burke signing that hood @ the 50th BNI Nats. I was just thinking about Tex the other day. I can remember when I 1st met Vern/Keith Tardel at the orchard shop. and in the rear Ken Fuller was swapping out the pretty solid rear axle that was under Stroker's 40 and installing a Jag indy.
    I thought Tom was going soft ;)....
    Kent replied that Tom was getting ready to meet Tex for fishing and was driving the 40 because that what it was built for. Having Long road trips and enjoying his Hot Rod.
    Well now Tex and Stroker can cast their lines and just kick back and wait for the fish to bite and talk Hot Rods.
    Godspeed to the guys who put the "Neat Back on the Street"!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    pitman likes this.
  17. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

sadly another icon passes from the scene, too frequent these days. May God comfort his family and hopefully Tex is driving on that interstate in the sky where everyday is roadster weather.

18. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

A very influential person in the Hot Rod world. He will be sorely missed. My prayers go out to his friends and family for their loss.

19. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Honest, ethical, a true gentleman, and an integral part of the growth of rodding-by whatever other name you add to describe your particular brand of . If there is a Hot Rod Heaven, he is a High Priest there.

20. DRD57

DRD57

I'm proud to count him as one of my friends, sad to see him go.

21. I've known Tex for many years, although this was somewhat expected, it's still devastating.

Mick

22. Yeah...Mick was out at the salt the year Bob K, Tex and I were standing on the balcony overlooking the pool at Motel 6 at Wendover.....Ron Ceridono was in the pool and couldnt' get out because he had bad foot cramps. Tex gave Ceridono so much shit about it...Bob K and I were cracking up! Was good to talk cars with Tex that year.
    Thanks, Simon for letting us know.........
    RIP, Tex.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  23. willymakeit

willymakeit

Never met him. Always wanted to. Seemed like he was every mans hot rodder.

24. Sad news. R.I.P. Tex.
    Al.

25. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I was lucky to talk to in West Yellowstone at the rod run a few years ago.neat conversation and he liked my 32 roadster I built. Invited me to be in his Rocky Mountain roadster club I put the sticker in the window and it went with the car to Denmark.Wonder if it still has it in the window.Any way----- we have lost a good one!!! He's probably writing a how to book up there right now!

26. Sad day, R.I.P. Tex

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

RIP, Tex. You meant a great deal to us. Gary

28. Another big loss... R.I.P.

29. Woodie

Woodie

This is sad news indeed. Knew that this day was coming,but you just can't be ready for it. Tex and I go back a long way,( N.H.R.A Street Division ) We owe him a lot for his input and ideas that have made this hobby/sport what we still enjoy today.! They are getting ready to host a huge "Rod Trot" up there and guess who's in charge.!
    R.I.P. Tex.

30. FTF

FTF

Very sad, it is written somewhere that Tex taught many kids how to read through his writing. He will be missed.

brad2v likes this.