Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Leonard Woods left this world today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobwop, Sep 22, 2010.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I received a report from CA that Leonard Woods decided to end his time on earth today.

He was severly depressed after experiencing financial challenges and losing his Ford franchise at Chino Ford. His health had become an issue and he went through prostate surgery a few months back.

He made the decision to end his life.

This is really an end to the era. He was the last of the actively involved members of the Stone, Woods and Cook team.

Please pray for his soul and his family.

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Definitly a huge downer especially since he took his own life. Fortunatly, he left his mark and will forever be remembered for his achievements. My condolences to is family and friends. RIP

Frank

3. Very sad.... R.I.P. Leonard.

4. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

That is truly sad news, he was a big part of our history....

5. storm king

storm king

I'll definately say a prayer for him and his family. What a terrible thing for such a successful man.

6. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

A Sad Day indeed

7. God speed on your new journey, Leonard

8. roddinron

roddinron

Very sad, and a very hard decision to make, let's respect his right to make it, and the courage it took to end things his way.

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Very sad. The Stone Woods and Cook Willy's team was a major inspiration to me as a young man starting out in hot rodding. RIP Leonard.

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow.....what a legend. RIP

11. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Very sad. Sorry for your pain Leonard, may God be with you on your final journey. Thoughts & prayers to the family.

Jonnie King

12. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

RIP his name will live forever

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for letting us know, Bopwop...prayers sent for Mr. Woods and his family and friends.

Oftentimes, a guy will take his own life for reasons other than only being depressed. Most of us know how expensive some medical procedures can be...it can quickly wipe out an entire life-savings. It can also be extremely hard on the person's family...both emotionally and financially, and also extremely time-consuming. So, in the interest of sparing their spouse/family/friends the burdon, they will decide it best to end it early. Leonard had surgery for his prostate...that means it might have been quite progressed, and it might have spread. He likely knew what he was up against, and thought this to be the best decision. Not to say that depression can't be a factor or even the sole reason people take their own lives...just that often, this is not simply an emotional reaction, and the decision is made after a very prolonged and deliberate thought-process. He may well have had his family's best interests at heart.

Regardless, we will always remember Mr. Woods...and Mr. Stone and Mr. Cook...with fondness and high regard for all they did, and the entertainment they provided us in the process. God bless Leonard Woods.

14. Stone , Woods , and Cook was one of the first real race cars that I really liked as a kid , kind of always wanted THAT Willys. Sorry to hear that Mr. Woods found it too much hope he is at peace now and that his family has the support of their friends and family. Simpathies, Rob.

15. He's now with the rest of the team. Thanks you Mr. Woods for all you did for our sport. A class act indeed. RIP

16. poorman

poorman
    from cleveland

very sad and may he rip and im sorry for his loved ones hope they make it through this tragedy

poorman

17. Deuces

Deuces

Another hero gone... :( Rest In Peace Leonard.. :(

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Too bad, atleast their legacy, the willys is in good hands, the guy i talked to at detroit 2008 seems like he is a good caretaker
    Being able to touch the car before the autorama was one of the highpoints of my trip, right along side holding the ridler trophy on sunday

19. Muttley

Muttley

RIP to one of the true pioneers of Drag Racing.

20. milo1303s

milo1303s

R.I.P. Leonard.

21. RIP to a childhood hero... :(

22. jpm49c

jpm49c

RIP Leonard What a team! SWC

23. Loved the gasser wars of the 60's!! Loved his dad's SWC car, a class act. Leonard is the kid in this photo.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  24. Very sad......RIP

25. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very sad news. We have lost alot of the good one's this year. May he rest in peace and may his family find comfort in his legacy.
    Gasser Girl

26. R.I.P my heart goes out to his Family,this will be a tough time for his family always asking why?what could they have done?If we only new?These are all questions an more they will ask an they will come up with no answers,just know that he loved you all an remember the good times.May GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

27. Godspeed on your journey, RIP

28. BigRy

BigRy
    from colorado

Some pepole leave us way to early , R.I.P.

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

RIP Leonard Woods. You and your team were special to me as a kid. You wont be forgotten

30. One of the true legends, very sad. R.I.P.