Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Lemonade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Lemonade

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Budget36, kidcampbell71, Tman and 8 others like this.
  2. Shop time on projects and driving seem like good ideas to me right now. As you say, we need to look for opportunities to find the good in all the chaos.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I,m staying in the basement working on the car for this coming racing season with hopes it doesn't cancel.

tractorguy, Gammz and Chucky like this.
  4. Our campus is closed to students but we are still required to be at work. No old car time for me right now.

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Why not, I would if, I was running right now,but will be on the try to do something about low oil psi on my run two weeks ago with my old Y-block Ford in my 28 A.
    Don't know what's going on yet. Just have not checked out things. Last time it happen,lucky it was only the oil gauge gone bad. Could it be same again?
    Big plan is pull oil filter /cut open an look for if I see metal{ if good} buy another gauge. Or if bad,pull pan.

I posted a thread,the other day. It got deleted by some over wackO medeator? said off topic{But as I think it was vary on,here is what it was,from 1962;
    [​IMG]
    "I never found out which girlfriend did this to my full custom Henry"J". Had too call off 2 dates that weekend from the flat tire. I found this on sunday AM .

Some one was mad,there must of been more Toilet Paper around back then, LOL . Still think it was cool anyway in 1962. Artistic too, she used pink,white and blue !"

I still think it was funny an things that happened in the 60s when I was in high school. Hope you'all get a smile out of it.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Hnstray, A 2 B, egads and 8 others like this.
  6. Our only change so far is that we have a couple grandkids a couple days this week and probably beyond and we aren't going to any stores or out to eat. Our pantry is in good shape and we have a couple sons out and about who could find stuff when we need it.

My routine for the last 15 years has been to go out in the shop every day that I can, so I am. I'm working on my '40 Ford coupe and some finish work on a trailer I built a couple years ago. Staying in touch by phone, e-mails, the RRT and the HAMB. Not much different than usual other than the social distancing.

Tman, chryslerfan55 and 40ragtopdown like this.
  7. I'm still at work (and will be most likely the whole event), still cruise around at night and hunker down at home the rest of the time......so about the same for me.

winduptoy and town sedan like this.
  8. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It has been an interesting journey so far...

I am still working in the office, and dealing with an ever changing landscape as a manager. My family is at home, and has settled into the idea that they are going to be there for a while. My son, who is 14, is building a truck with my help. Every night after we share a meal as a family (a novel idea) he and I go out and assess his work for the day and do some additional work, and then I set him up with an assignment for the next day. I have become his project manager of sorts and his instructor. It has been wonderfully rewarding to evaluate or watch him work his daily tasks and then teach him something new for an hour or so each night. Inadvertently, this extended break may grow us much closer together.

It helps that he was recently a hood-rat, and got grounded from all things electronic and small-screened... he made typical 14 year old boy choices and is doing his time for that;) I have really enjoyed the analog version of his company, so he may get to live that way for the foreseeable future:D

The bottom line is that we are going to do a lot of family stuff together, and try to avoid just sitting in front of a screen. My old cars will play a major role in that.

Hnstray, alanp561, brEad and 13 others like this.
  9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Ryan - I've also thought this would be a good opportunity to get a few friends/cars together for a cruise. Whether it's through Omaha, country roads or otherwise, traffic is noticeably reduced this week.

As with others, I will be spending more time in the garage. Great opportunity to get some work done on the '62 Ford wagon.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You sound like my dad. I love this.

And yes, we too are doing a ton of family stuff. I read somewhere that it's a good idea to pick another close family to team up with and we, of course, have the Tardels for that. If they get sick, we get sick... We get sick, they get sick.... worthy trade off if this thing goes on as long as it looks like it could.

In any case, I do think there are things we can do to entertain each other. Coonan and I just had a talk about doing something together just provide a little escapism... It's something we have talked about doing for a while now and Covina just sort of put a fire on our asses... So that could happen. More later...

But I do think it's smart for all of us to be brainstorming. Stick together... that sort of thing.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There is ZERO traffic in Austin right now. It's a ghost town. Mopac at 8am on a weekday is usually a parking lot. Yesterday, you could drive for miles and not see more than two or three other cars. It's crazy...

kidcampbell71 and Special Ed like this.
  12. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a mini version of this yesterday. Fired up the '41 Chev and spent half the day cruising around the county looking to see whats going on. My conclusion? The world has gone off its collective rocker. But it was a beautiful sunny day and traffic was light once I got out of town. Cruising these mostly-empty country roads in my old car is one of my favorite things to do!

13. I'm anticipating more build threads here on the HAMB.
    Stay healthy people, we are the targeted age group as the most susceptible if we are to believe what is being reported.
    Cold but sunny this morning, I think I'll take advantage of the light traffic and take the coupe for a drive.

Hnstray, tractorguy and Paul like this.
  14. jnaki

jnaki

Hey R,
    I just came back from going to get some light bulbs at a local, small hardware store. (less exposure, small store, less people 3 in the store... plenty of social distancing...) The local streets normally busy with traffic was empty. But, it did seem like a normal winter/spring day, except for no teenagers and moms doing school drop offs. The I-5 Freeway was empty or like it was back in 1964. It was fun driving from that tiny store back on the I-5 with such little traffic. I could count on both hands the amount of cars on the freeway. They seemed like they were practicing the "social distancing" we have all been hearing about in the news. It was "virtually" empty.

My wife and I have been following the "stay at home" rules. But, she mentioned that as long as we stay in the car, what is the problem with us getting a little relaxation on the empty streets and freeways? The coastal drive never looked so empty and good.

Jnaki

For us, normally, we wouldn't think of it. There are plenty of things to do at home, too. But it just seemed like an invitation to drive through the coastal highway with as few cars as possible and enjoy it, to break up the confinement. Knowing others might have the same idea, I told her how empty the local roads are, today. She still said it would be cool, but we shouldn't do something that would make others irritated that we are not at home. Moms with their school kids, other elderly folks, single people, people out of work, etc. We are all in it together and it is not kosher to irritate others while making a fun thing out of the situation.

It probably is not a good idea anywhere, just because, we don't really know how or when the virus gets to people. So, get back to reading, writing, researching topic information and of course, taking naps is the mode of the day.

Take care, have fun and we will somehow we will all get through this everywhere.

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I work in medical, highly unlikley my job will send me home (and thats fine, i like being paid!)
    But if it does, I have a large stash of parts for my bucket project sitting at home. I only need a couple trips to the metal store, and the rest UPS can bring me as long as they dont shut down.

2 weeks at home in the garage thrashing, I could have my car done, and then I'd just be waiting on chrome!

tractorguy likes this.
  16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

17. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I am finishing up on an off topic project intended for Hot Rod Drag Week. Since my wife and I are in a target group, we have social distanced ourselves from everyone, even our family. We canceled our trip to Europe this next month, and we are trying to recover as much as we can from our reservations and tickets.

This bug kills old people, while younger ones just get sick. You can transmit the virus before you show the symptoms yourself.

I will be laughed at for this but, I made a skull and crossbones sign, with keep out quarantine, for the driveway to my shop. This is a big change for me, I like company, and I am a handshaker and a hugger. I will hunker down until it is a safer time to be out among the rest of you.

18. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

About to take the 40 for a ride right now. Than back to the garage to make some more lemonade. Stay healthy everyone.

town sedan likes this.
  19. We spent this past weekend driving through the beautiful Smokey Mountains looking for a new route for the upcoming 20th annual All Deuce Run, I spent about an hour with a motel manager that was receptive to having us on Friday night with great rates, I located a restaurant for that evening and a starting point for the 90 mile run on Saturday.

A route was planed through a few towns and back roads and to our final destination, I spoke with the owners of the quaint inn and though I had everything in place, all I needed to do was talk with Bill and agree on the route, everything seemed to be in place until yesterday morning the 17th, I received a call from the the first restaurant and was told the Governor of North Carolina had shut all the dining areas down, last night I heard from the other one and they were following the Governors guide lines.

All this threw a kink in my well thought out plan, I still want to host the 20th All Deuce Run, but now Bill & I are going to have to rethink how we proceed, If we just gather to have the run it will more than likely just be a reliability style run. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Like I said, I think a reliability run could be really cool right now... But, for what it's worth, I think the idea of eating in a restaurant, staying in a hotel, etc... is a really bad idea. I don't think it's the appropriate time for things like that.

It's all very fluid... and I'm just some idiot in Texas... but that's my opinion.

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I absolutely think you should find a way to do this. Most guys in this hobby have eye and breathing protection; most of us have a CB radio sitting around somewhere.

Some of us have had our sails slashed in the past week; personally, I lost my primary source of discretionary income and all the spring shows aren't happening. Somebody finding a way to do something THIS COOL within these new parameters would be VERY uplifting.

22. In the best of times, I am a loner and a germaphobe. Not much changes for my daily living. I'll still be tinkering with my Thunderbird in spite of world problems.

I'm not so much afraid of the virus. Where my irritation begins is with my fellow man, but that's how it is even in the best of times.

Isolation is the name of the game. Even if we can't meet in public for a while, I'll still be here. This is the best place to come for what we love any way.

Avoid idiots and stay safe.

23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Thumbs up from a car window has always been a cool greeting, and now it is government approved!

Do that reliability run, and then go out to eat some other time.

lothiandon1940 and guthriesmith like this.
  24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

It’s great to think of a rod run during us all being holed up. But I agree, it will be hard to eat and sleep enroute unless we all hookup a trailer for those purposes.
    I can see a lot of virus- babies next winter.
    I’m really afraid even after we get through the first peak of infection. A reinfection will but us right back into this again. Let’s pray for a vaccine.

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  25. 2935ford

2935ford

Just to go out on the overly cautious route, which I prefer.
    To be considered:
    Would say 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 cars be considered a "crowd"? Are 2 people in the car? If so, they related or already having a shared living arrangement in some way? If not, where hve each been? Take food/drink with and no "food to buy" stops. How about fuel stops? Wipe pump handles every time. Paying inside? CC would be best and outside at the pump. Wiping down those payment screens at the pump. Touching anything anywhere on those pumps, no no. Bathroom stops? Stops to relax....... 6' rule? Breakdowns involving a tow truck? Having to jump into an unknown tow cab? An accident with another vehicle outside of the cruisers?
    I'm sure others can add.
    Not trying to ruin the idea but.....safety first, always!

grumpy65 and rod1 like this.
  26. 2935ford

2935ford

That's exactly what happened in the 1918 pandemic. Killed far more than the first round.

mnjeff and tractorguy like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This is the perfect opportunity for like minded people like our HAMB group to support each other, but more importantly, acknowledge and support all of Ryans' efforts (Atomic).
    Can you imagine not having this venue whether it's on a daily basis or just the occasional distraction from the madness.
    Not all of us are able to fab and wrench on our projects regularly but it sure is nice to have this place to still participate in our passion.
    Now, I need to run to the refreshment store before all of the Jack Daniels is grabbed up.
    I got lemonade to make!
    Thanks Boss

town sedan likes this.
  28. Paul

Paul
    Editor

a run in the fresh early spring air sounds good,
    like Charlie, we too have grandkids here to keep us busy.
    also starting to make a little progress on the next project
    documenting as it goes
    thought it might be another distraction for the folks stuck at home to look at, here

Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  29. I was thinking of this exact same thing on my commute this morning. no traffic would make driving the hot rod even better. I was thinking about 4 trips a half a day away, one east, west, south, north all getting back home by night fall. just need disposable gloves for when I stop to gas up and pack a good lunch.

saltracer219 and town sedan like this.
  30. The reality of this pandemic is it has effected our freedom and our livelihood, it has also halted all the automotive events we look forward too around the country.

I want to do whatever it takes not to have to list the 20th Annual All Deuce run in the " EVENT CANCELLATIONS"

We don't know how long this outbreak will last & we just need to get back to the root's like the first annual All Deuce Run, it was basically a Reliability Run, back to the basics. HRP