Register now to get rid of these ads!

Legendary cobra driver Allen Grant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by glmke, May 23, 2010.

1. glmke

glmke

Legendary cobra team driver Allen Grant was at a local car cruise to help local school's today. Real nice guy and great car

cobra.jpg

cobra 2.jpg

cobra 3.jpg

cobra 5.jpg

2. Funny seeing Geroge Lucas's name on something other than movie credits! Thanks for posting the pics!

3. Deuces

Deuces

I wonder if he'll make it into Dearborn for next Sunday's show at Ford World Headquarters???

4. derelict

derelict

Went for a ride with him when he was working at Coventry Motors in Wlanut Creek Ca. There was a Cobra for sale when they were nearly affordable. He gave the test ride snd scareed the shit out of me. I still wanted the car but my pocketbook said no. I used to watch him running A/Production at Laguna Seca driving the yellow Cobra one handed like a walk in the park. Neat...

5. hi beppie

6. glmke

glmke

From what I read george lucas was the one who came up with the paint scheme.

7. vintagedr

vintagedr
    from Northeast

Hi Tom, my name is Frank and I just registered with HAMB today. I will apologize in advance for more boring you with the following background information. But i do think it will help you understand me a little bit more. Eventually, I will get to the point of why I'm writing you. I've been a car lover all my life. So I'm talking 50+ years. The 50s and 60s were my favorite years. I don't race, but racing is my passion. Over the past 10 years I've been doing a lot of high-end diecast car collecting and selling. Most of the cars I collect are from the 50s and 60s, Cobras, Fords, Corvettes, Chaparrals, McLarens, etc., and yes, even Hot Rods and Muscle Cars. I have a colleague in Texas who is a master model maker, together we have produced a number of custom builds. I'm currently obsessed with one I've got in the works now, Allen Grants #96 Yellow Cobra (paint schematic by George Lucas). Over the past few weeks I've been doing an extensive amount of research. My original plan was to do only the #96 Cobra. The Internet is chock full of images and articles that I can use for reference regarding the #96. But then I came across the photos you posted. Thanks a bunch, I felt like my head was just hit with a monkey wrench. It immediately became very clear that the project was now going to be much larger. This was the first image I found with the “Yellow Truck”. In order to do this build properly I was going to need to include the truck and trailer. THIS IS WHY I'M WRITING TO YOU. Just a few hours ago your name and the images you posted appeared on my screen. First, it was pretty humorous to see George Lucas listed as the crew chief. As I'm sure you're aware this never appeared on the car while racing. I read a number of articles that talked about George and Allen's longtime relationship. And, that Alan asked George to design the graphics for the car. Now whether he actually did the truck or not, I don't know. But it was nice to see that whoever did paint the truck mirrored the graphics on the car. Do you remember where you found this particular photo of the truck, trailer and car? I am looking for different angles, front, back, etc. and I'm hoping you can tell me where to found the photo or point me in a few directions. Don't take that too seriously, I have trouble remembering yesterday. From the little bit of research I've done it appears that the pickup is a 1956 Ford F-100, would you agree? Maybe you might know other people that have more information. I'm trying to exhaust all my possibilities before I write to Allen, and maybe even George. That's if either of them will take me serious. I know I've gone on way too long and have probably brought you to tears. But, I would like to gratefully thank you in advance for any time, consideration and help you can offer me. With Gratitude, Frank

8. Like Frank I'd love to see more pictures of that Yellow 56 PU.
    Cobras are very cool but I really like them 56-F100's
    THANKS.