Register now to get rid of these ads!

Legal requirments

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by naki kid, Jul 17, 2006.

1. naki kid

naki kid

What is the legal requirments to get a custom or hot rod on the road in the states.It would be interesting to know if you have the same problems and hassels as we do.We have a certifuckation scheme here.

2. squirrel

squirrel

it depends on which state you are in. Here in Arizona, if you have an Arizona title for your car, you do not need ANY inspection! (unless it is a 1967 or newer car, and you live in one of the two big cities where they have exhaust emissions testing)

3. Definitely depends on state.. In NJ all you need is a title (or registration from states that didn't maintain titles like NY). You can then register the car as antique and your car will not require inspection. Antique assumes that your car is stock of course so you could technically get hassled but the police don't really know what they are looking at anyway.

There is also such a thing as a streetrod registration for "kit cars" and street rods in NJ. If your having trouble getting documents for your car you could always go that route if your state offers it. This does require inspection. It's pretty rigorous from what i've heard..

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

You only need a bill of sale in GA

5. Wazzup Ray? you getting hassled?

6. naki kid

naki kid

no hassells just interested.After seeing some of those rat rods in mags I was wondering how they get to drive them on the roads over there,no floors no front brakes etc,also in one latest mag i was reading they explaned how to heat steering arms to clear on dropped axles I know I have never seen 1 break but it is a no no down here.We even have to get the old I beam crack tested any sign of a hair crack throw it out.You know Marty we have the worlds top engineers in n.z.:D

7. squirrel

squirrel

up here we manage to kill about 43,000 people a year on our highways...and very very few of these fatalities are the result of equipment failure. We just don't know how to drive.

8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

what phill said, unless the serial # has not been registered in the state of ga. in the last 20 years.
    then you have to get it inspected, install a state provided serial # ,
    then have it inspected by a law enforcement officer who will after he inspects the car/truck, sees where and how you installed the state serial #
    (which is none other than the one that you supplied from the car)
    he then runs a state stolen vehicle report, then a national stolen vehicle report( i ask him why the national report and the state he wouldn't say)
    anyrate when its all over said and done you are proud owner of a one owner car nation wide, hence Nelson is the 2nd owner of a 31 a bone coupe.

9. Squablow

Squablow

In Wisconsin, you need a title. They won't inspect shit, they don't ask if it's been modified, it doesn't have to be there when you register it. They just want their money. If you don't have a title, you're fucked, there's no "bill of sale" shit in Wisconsin, then you have to fill out a bunch of paperwork on a wild goose chase. That's why "historical documents" are a popular seller around here.

10. curtiswyant

curtiswyant

Indiana is pretty lax. With an out-of-state reg, you need to have the car present at the DMV or have a police officer come verify the VIN at your house. Otherwise, you can drive around with a cracked windshield, no exhaust, and a cloud of smoke trailing behind ya with no problems :D