Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical left and studs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan Timberlake, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

2. Thought mopar was the only one.

3. I believe some Studebakers may have also.

4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

My buddie's Olds does too

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My 46 Olds has them as well and recall the old 60s Valiant did as well, left hand side only.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Would that have been on the driver side studs only? Studs marked "L"? This had to cause some real headscratching and choice words over the years.

There is an old MOPAR video that explains the reasoning, and it does work, sort of. Not that there was a plague of loose tires flying off. But, it has happened.

http://www.moparmax.com/columns/magnante/v_5-1.html ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449325514.464651.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  7. Speaking of such foolishness,,,,,is there a source for Left/Right thread studs for MOPAR 1/2 -20 /

8. hoop

hoop

37 Willys had them.I learned the hard way.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Dorman does show a few left hand wheel studs in their catalog

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Do you all mean "studs" or lug bolts? The "left hand stud" brings some really weird images to mind. LOL

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some Ford AA trucks had them in 1928. Bob

12. I think that nearly every manufacturer tried them at one time or another. it was fair logic but as we have proven over the years it was totally not necessary. ;)

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Same deal with spindle nuts, Ford Model T's had left and right threaded nuts and outer bearings. Bob

14. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Oh wow, after many years of absence from Mopars I bought a really nice Dodge and put her up on the lift to change the tires and redo the brakes. I got the Ingersoll out and promptly broke a left side lug off. I decided that it was probably over torqued and tried another which also broke! I then remembered about the lefties on the left side and successfully removed the rest. I went to the right side and broke another (you got to reverse the wrench dummy).
    This issue is all about the fact that some mechanics could get distracted and leave the lugs finger tight and subsequently the car was driven and the left side wheels would loosen to the point of departure!
    Millions of autos are made and used with all righty tighty now with no adverse effects. I changed my Dodge to all righties.