Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Led v.s. standard bulb.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 Ford Tudor, Aug 12, 2015.

1. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

Trying to get my car's tail lights to work.

They are the stock 40 ford lights.
    The front are Technostagia.

What relay is recommended?

Thanks.

Tim

2. I think you mean "flasher unit", in which case any flasher designed to operate LED's (electronic flasher unit, does not depend on current draw to flash).

3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

What's not working? How are they wired? Have they ever worked, or is this a new build?

36roadster may have guessed correctly, you're going from incandescent to LED and need a "no load" electronic flasher.

4. Splinter

Splinter

LED's are DIODES.......That means while and incandescent can be wired front, back, or sideways as long as current goes through it, you HAVE to observe polarity for LED's to work. And 36 is right- LED don't draw enough current to make a traditional flasher unit trigger off- need a solid sate one.

5. Splinter

Splinter

And you should NEVER need a relay for tail lights, turn signals, etc. They don't draw enough current to need that kind of assistance.

6. Sometimes headlights are a different story. If the headlights are souped up headlights. I am not sure what Technostagia headlights are but if they are way over and above the standard wattage like HIDs for instance or mega halogens thy will need a relay. Relay depends on amp draw.

7. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

just re-wired my 40 Ford sedan last summer using led taillights & H4 halogen headlamps. lamp supplier said to wire in a relay for each of lo beam & hi beam circuits. no relay needed for rear lamps. I used Ford accessory relays & napa pigtails, went real smooth & everything worked. I can supply relay # & pigtail # tonight.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got lights with H-4 bulbs in both the 48 and my 71 GMC and they draw more current than the switches (especially the floor mounted dimmer switches) want to handle and I had to put relays in.

On the turn lights there are a number of electronic flashers out there that are made to work with led bulbs. Just Google flasher for LED turn light and take your pick. Some should be available though the local parts houses if you have a parts number.

9. stimpy

stimpy