Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Led flourecents

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Ghost28

Ghost28

I can't believe how dark my shop used to be. These new 4 foot led's don't require a balast, and man are they bright. I should have done this years ago. IMG_20180216_165228.jpg IMG_20180216_165245.jpg

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting this; I have been considering them for a while but have been put off by the cost. I think you've convinced me.

brad2v and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. belair

belair

I did a bunch at church. About 8 bucks per bulb. Easy to do .

4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

My "new" garage is 24'X35' I have 10 of the 2 line 4' LED fixtures and I am extremely pleased at the light output!
    I have them laid out so that I am almost never working in a shadow.
    I would highly recommend them.
    KK

5. upspirate

upspirate

I'm replacing mine, I'm using the ones that do away with the ballast.The ballast uses electricity, and is the cause of some of the problems with fluorescent tubes.
    You have to do some fairly simple re-wiring with the direct,no ballast ones, but nothing a rodder shouldn't be able to do

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

You do know that LEDs and fluorescents are two different things, Right?

7. Be sure to price check complete units at COSTCO.

Charlie Stephens

8. LED's ain't traditional,flickering and burnt out non-working florescent lights are! :D HRP

9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got some big LED lights from a friend. The square one on the left is now on casters.................it will blind you in a flash
    led.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. 2935ford

2935ford

yup, next on my list to do in the garage!

brad2v likes this.
  11. Here in VT a retail outfit is offering shop lights as a special until they are gone. You can buy the 4 foot unit for $4.99 each. It is totally plastic with one LED strip that is about 42 inches long. I put 6 in my small shop to try them out and feel that you need your sun glasses on to work out there! Feels so good to be able to see. So far I have purchased 24 to use throughout the home and the shop. They have a 5 year warranty.

12. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, I love mine. 3 rows of 3 lights, each 8'- 4 bulb, in a 30 x 36. Twice the light of fluorescents at half the money to run. I have been in operating rooms that were not as bright. Just the ticket for these old eyes.

13. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

LEDs all the way,hands down,end of story..

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Replacing all the lights in my house with the led's as the old ones blow. They have the screw in ones now that replace the regular old incandescent bulbs, so as my squiggle fluorescents go out they are getting replaced too.

Like said above, much better for old eyes. Kind of an awakening when you start seeing dirt you never knew was there before....

15. I priced replacing the 15 lights in my shop with the new 4 foot 2 bulb LEDS and holy cow! :eek: It would cost me about 600 bucks to replace them plus what I would have to pay to have them installed. HRP

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We have been 99.99% LED for a few years. The electricity savings has already paid for them.

The only incandescent left in my house are the ones inside the microwave and fridge.

I am too lazy to replace those, until they actually blow.

verno30 and Mr48chev like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can get a 20-pack for $175.00/free shipping.

Unless you are planning on dying soon, the cost savings over not having to replace them, over the long haul, and the electricity savings will more than cover the cost of them.

They did for me.

Why do you have to pay someone to install light bulbs?

Hollywood-East likes this.
  18. Am I the only one who has read about the damage LED's can cause your eyes.....something about the blue wavelengths in LED's

Ducking out of the way now

Fitty Toomuch and Montana1 like this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes.

Chronic exposure to automotive chemicals has been linked to Leukemia.

What of it?

Seriously, I just read the entire study.

Here is the TL;DR:
    1. Don't stare directly into the lights (a stupid idea for any light, anyways.)
    2. Don't buy them with a high Kelvin rating (color temperature), towards the blue end of the range. Stay close to 3000-3500K. 4000K-up causes eye strain, but then again, that is true for ALL LIGHTS, LED or not, in that color temperature. If you were already using florescents, you had bulbs that were about 5600K, which were worse for your eyes than the bluest LED's.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    57 Fargo and pitman like this.
  20. Whose truck John????

brad2v likes this.
  21. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First thing I did was replace all lights in the RV trailer with LEDs. When your running on 12 volts you want the battery to last as LONG as possible and they use a lot less electricity. Plus you can get them in a multitude of shades from soft yellow to bright white.

hrm2k likes this.
  22. upspirate

upspirate

Are these the ballast or non ballast ones? are they available in different K values?Source? PM me if you don't want to post that info please.

etboy97 likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Please tell me where and what to get those! Seems like a steal?

25. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Also how about their performance in cold weather?

26. upspirate

upspirate

27. Jeff J

Jeff J

Got these 8 footers for $25.00 ea And a couple 4 footers for $15.00ea 4 clips to mount to what ever and they snap in ! Day and night difference and the electric bill should be almost nothing ! They have double Diodes on a angle ! Such a crisp lite tone Almost need sunglasses on ! PHONE 010.JPG PHONE 005.JPG PHONE 015.JPG

28. Replacing a bulb wouldn't be a problem but due to the accident I had a couple of years ago and having a total shoulder replacement I can't reach up and hold something over my head,so replacing the light fixture I would need to hire it out. HRP

29. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I am still waiting for my old fluorescent tubes to start in the cold.
    My LEDs come up to full brightness instantly no matter the temperature.
    They are also much more rugged than the "squiggle" fluorescent (CFL) or incandescent bulbs.
    The first LEDs I installed were in my garage door openers 'cause the incandescent bulbs couldn't stand the vibration.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were closer, I'd do it for pizza and beer.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

milwscruffy and vtwhead like this.