Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical LED dash lights

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser_Dave, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I was out in the garage messing around while waiting for my new parts to arrive and I thought I would start chipping away at my to-do list. I am almost done with the wiring except the dash lights and I got to thinking if they go out, it is going to be a pain to get to them to change the bulb. At least for a big fat guy like me. So I had some 12 volt LED bulbs sitting around and I got to thinking I could use them instead of bulbs. So, here we go-

First I got the original wire out of the socket. Then I flipped it over and using the correct size drill bit for the LED, I drilled through the bottom into the inside of the socket. Now, one of 2 things can happen, it can all fall apart, or the actual socket part that holds the bulb stays in. Either way it will still work. Insert the LED through the front of the socket and out the back. I used super glue and an accelerant I got at Hobby Lobby. If you use super glue but do not use the accelerant, you have no idea what you are missing. Cures the glue in seconds. Once the glue is set, they can be used in the dash and probably be there forever. I also use them for my license plate lights Hope that makes sense!

9.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

2. I wonder if it those will be too bright for night time driving

3. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

I have 3 holes per gauge cluster. so mine are for backlighting. when I get them in, I will snap a few pics.