Register now to get rid of these ads!

Learn me about Qjets

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by sploke, Apr 27, 2020.

1. sploke

sploke
    from CT

Heya! So I have kind of a stupid project. I have a 1953 Allis Chalmers WD45 tractor and I'm swapping a sbc 350 into her. Going well so far. We bought the engine from a friend of a friend, came out of a 1984 Chevy pickup of some sort. I'm getting close to being ready to try firing this thing so I figured I'd take a look at the octopus of a carb I pulled off the motor and tossed into a box some months ago. It's a Rochester Quadrajet with about million vacuum lines running off it, I'm assuming for emissions control and fuel metering purposes. I've never dealt with this kind of carb before so I originally just assumed I could plug up unneeded lines and pull off the extra crap and just run it like an old school carb. Doing some quick reading indicates it might not be that simple. Is there hope for this setup or am I completely out to lunch on this?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Does it have several wires going to it? Specifically, one on top for the MC solenoid, and another on the side for the TPS?

[​IMG]

if so, then you really want to start with something else. If it does not have these, then you can just plug all the holes, and it will probably work ok.

but keep the thing about being in a tractor to yourself, this is a hot rod forum, not a tractor forum, and that kind of stuff is not allowed here!

sploke and Unique Rustorations like this.
  3. sploke

sploke
    from CT

Oh it's going to be a hot rod alright....just happens to have really big rear tires :)

Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot.

Truck64 likes this.
  4. sploke

sploke
    from CT

IMG_20200427_205947.jpg And no wires...

5. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

Might want to try here too, they have a forums area. If you don’t find the answers you might want to talk to Cliff himself via phone.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/

bill gruendeman and sploke like this.
  6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've used those a couple times with no problems. Pull and plug the un-needed vacuum lines and idle step-up stuff, but leave the choke pull-off can and linkage.

squirrel likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You may want to tap out the idle mixture plugs before you install it.

8. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The idle mixture screws have a rectangular head on them and are tough to adjust without a tool that has the correct shape. I made one by grinding a slot in a junk 5mm nut driver.
    thumbnail.jpg

sploke likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

what, they're still there after 35 years? figure the odds!

:)

saltflats likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good point Jim.