Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaky Stromberg 97 jet plugs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rattle rod, May 27, 2016.

1. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

Well here it goes..first post on the H.A.M.B. I have been reading it for a while and received a lot of helpful info but i thought i would float this one out there.

I recently re-built the carbs on my 28 Roadster pick-up and i am having trouble stopping small leaks on some of the jet plugs in the bottom of the fuel bowl. I purchased all new gaskets from Stromberg 97 ( excellent people to deal with and very helpful too). the seats look good to me and the surfaces were clean, but these little plugs just keep seeping. any suggestions? Is there a different type of gasket i can get? carbs.jpg

2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Uncle Max had (may not anymore) some plugs that had a hex instead of the screwdriver slot. These allow you to get a little more torque on them. He also supplied me with some good gaskets. These cured the problem I had with my 97's. Give Max a call or PM.

3. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

Thanks. I e-mailed Max once before for help with jetting....He is a very helpful resource. I'll see about those hex plugs!

4. I use Permatex Gasket dressing and sealant...(Hylomar) Never hardens and wont allow anything past the threads. Cured my leaking problem 100%

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just fueled mine up and glad to say they do not leak.
    I did take Clive's advice and I pulled the float bowl screw out ...
    upload_2016-5-27_12-47-31.png
    and used this stuff to seal them up. So far, so good.
    upload_2016-5-27_12-48-55.png

popawolf likes this.
  6. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

Perfect. I was hesitant to put any sealant on those gaskets but that looks like the right stuff. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

There are two slightly different gaskets for the jet plugs, paper and "plastic", if it seeps with the paper try the opaque plastic, Max has them, if the plastic leaks send the body to Max and he can reface the seat and they will not leak. He can also reface the power valve seat while he's at it, this will prevent the Power valve gasket from leaking and the inlet valve seat.

uncle max likes this.
  8. flathead4d

flathead4d

I just did the Permatex fix on mine about two weeks ago and so far no more leaks.

9. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

Thanks for the advice. I used a little gasket dressing on the jet plugs and it seems like it worked. It's been a couple days with gas sitting in the carbs and one or two of the float screws are seeping now....so one more tear down to address the leaks and all should be good.

Although I thought about leaving the original gas stain patina, I prefer to avoid engine fires instead. 1464662711087.jpg

10. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hylomar was developed during WWII as a fix for leaking gaskets on the Rolls Royce Merlin engines in the Spitfire fighters used by the RAF.
    You might say it helped win the war... It'll probably help you win your Stromberg war!

belair likes this.
  11. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

Thanks max. I'm still chasing small leaks on the float bowl/ air horn gaskets too. One day it's good. The next it's seeping. I guess my efforts to true up the gasket surface needs some refining. While we had them apart we used a rubber mallet to flatten the air horns, then lightly sanded on a flat surface. Is it advisable to use any gasket dressing on those gaskets?...