Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaky model a 4 banger was free now stuck why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Orange54, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I pulled a complete engine and trans from an open frame that has sat for many years with a can on top of the oil filler tube. It turns over by hand.

When I had the tail hanging down from the cherry picker there was clean water coming out of the transmission and when I pulled the left motor mount bolt on the front of the block oil came out.

I didn't have a hose but thought about pouring water in the water inlet and seeing if it cam back out the back side again.

Is the oil leak normal and could the water just be rainwater from inside the trans or is it coming from the back of the block?

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT

Trans looks great inside. Bottom end looks great too but I was able to turn it over by hand and now it is stuck. Any tips?

I'll get the engine on a stand tonight and check it out but it sure seems like it ought to turn over easily since it would before.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If it was open to rain water can and will go down around the shift lever ball on the trans top, also heating and cooling cycles will cause condensation inside the trans and engine. Pull the drain plug on both to remove any collected water. Next to impossiable for water in the engine to get into the trans.

3. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

Thanks John,

How about the front oil issue? Normal?

Tim

4. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

how much oil came out with it?

5. Brian C

Brian C

On a 4 banger the front motor mount bolts go into the front cover of the engine. If the engine is sitting flat or it's normal position it shouldn't leak with the engine not running. With the engine being tilted every which way while you were getting it out having a bit of oil drain out from there is not a big deal. In fact I would be happy to see oil insdie the engine rather than having no oil in it.

Good luck!

6. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

ok,

Drained the block and only water. Now I can't get it to turn over with the front crank handle on the bottom pulley. I think I'll pull the oil pan and have a look see.

I was hoping to put try and run it without taking too much apart but I figured that was a pretty far stretch.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think pan will turn out to be full of water...that front bolt is way over the oil level, so I think the oil you saw was floating atop a gallon or so of water. If water is all in the pan and not up into the casting, you may be all right there. Water from trans is bad news... there's a strong possibility gears are rausted to hell. They rust quicly once their oil floats off.

8. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

Gears look great in the trans.

Motor looks good on the bottom end. I could turn it over before but not now. I guess I'll get it on a stand and take the head off to see what is going on. Something is holding it in place.

9. Ice man

Ice man

If you have to much problem give this a try www.enginerelease.com For $19.95 and it guaranteeded or money back. Iceman

10. Orange54

Orange54
    from Missouri

I got it. Don't know why but it was stuck good. Cylinders look good from the bottom I just need to pull the head and check the top side. It turns over but is tight. The camshaft shows wear but I think it will be ok.

Thanks for the help.