Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaks oil after installing pcv

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fisher, Jul 15, 2012.

1. fisher

fisher

I installed the pcv valve in the old breather tube and connected to the intake vacuum port. Engine runs much cleaner and no smoke rising when at a light or after engine is shut off. Only now oil is comming out the rear main seal big time. I've replaced the rear main some time back and it was not leaking before this change. What are your thoughts?

2. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

not breathing good ! back pressure in crankcase . remove & test .

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

The PCV isn't allowing the crankcase to vent the pressure fast enough and it's pushing oil out the seal.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Only two things it could be. Either it is just coincidental that it started leaking now, or, something you did in the pcv setup is causing the problem. For the oil to start seeping out of the seal I would think it is because crankcase pressure is not being evacuated and is building up, forcing the oil past the seal.

I take it your car never had a pcv system before, what did it have ? What size valve did you install ? Not all pcv valves are created equal, some are made for small engines and some are made for larger engines and the amount they allow to be drawn through are different.

Did you install somewhere for clean air to enter the engine to replace the air the valve was removing ? Generally, this is done by putting the pcv on one valve cover and the breather on the other side, or at least some configuration like that.

Don

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

The "V" in PCV is for ventilation. Where is your fresh air going into the crankcase coming from? Also, make certain your PCV is installed facing the correct way! (There should be an arrow on it, hopefully)

6. fisher

fisher

It is a 235 inline 6. PCV was mounted in the old draft tube on the side of the block. Valve cover has a breather in the oil fill hole. If pressure was building wouldn't it be pushing through the breather? The breather and the draft tube was where it was coming out before I made the change. Now there is no trace of vapors coming out the breather but oil pushing out the rear main seal.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

does the oil come out only when it runs or only when its off or both?

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Have you put your finger over the valve to confirm it is actually sucking the way it should ? It might have too low of a volume of vacuum to properly evacuate the crankcase.

Don

9. agata1930

agata1930
    from Ohio

Did the same exact thing when I was in High School except ours started leaking from everywhere. We took the PVC system back off and put a tube sort of like the flatheads have for blow-by....just so the fumes didn't come into the cab.

10. I had a similar problem after changing the PCV valve in a 454 Chevelle. Pushed oil out the dipstick tube where it enters the oil pan. Like they said above, all PCV Valves ain't created equal.