Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaking SBC oil filters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Jun 23, 2013.

1. I'm on my second one that leaks.Can you tighten them too much? I've had so many stupid problems with this car!

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only time I had one leak was when the rubber gasket from the old filter stuck to the block when I removed it and I didn't notice.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I had a particular 350 that would always loosen up oil filters if i didnt really crank them on there. lube the gasket.

4. flatford39

flatford39

Yeah make sure the old gasket isn't stuck in there and always take your finger and dip it in the old oil and apply it to the new gasket. Really no need to chow down on these.
    One full turn after snug should be enough.

5. Old gasket is off.Surface cleaned.Tightened by hand-leak,tightened with wrench-leak.I put oil on the gasket.I don't get it!

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you need to make sure you got the right filter. It happens. Plus.... what brand is it? get the brand and Google to see if it has a history. Lubing the new filter and NOT over tightening should yield good results.

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

This is coming from a Ford guy soooo. Do sbc's have a filter adapter that is held on with two bolts up in the sealing area? could that be loose?

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

SBC cannister-type (old style) did have a plate, held on by 2 1/4" bolts. We always removed that, to get the old gasket out. I don't recall if the spin-on adapters are held on , using that same type hardware.

4TTRUK

9. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

Blocks before '68 need an adaptor to use a spin on filter. Good suggestion to check this.

10. Ended up being the threaded plug above the filter leaking.It had been loosened for some reason.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Cool. Thanks for the update and solution to the problem.

12. studebaker46

studebaker46

it came loose with the filter I use to work in gm dealer back in the 70s and the early chev350 would do this and if it is a 327 or 283 converted to spin this was common tom

13. Saltmine

Saltmine

Most of those aftermarket adapters that converted the can type filter to a spin-on used a Ford or Dodge oil filter. Using a Chevy filter on one will leak like Niagara falls.

14. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive used a lot of them and ive always run ac pf 25 which is chevy car filter... do different brands use different filters?not being a smartass i just want to know...

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Only several things can cause that. Wrong filter, bad machined surface where the rubber seal touches, or too loose. Lots of theories on the best way to put on a filter, but I clean the metal surface, wipe some oil on the seal (after putting some oil in the filter too) and then I hand tighten it and take it a quarter to a half turn more with the wrench.

Oh, and stay away from Fram filters.

Don