Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leaking kickdown cable

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanBabb, Sep 3, 2011.

1. My lokar th-350 kickdown cable is leaking....but it leaks at the end that connects to the carb. What could be causing that?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

probably a plugged up trans case vent. or a combo of the trans being over filled and or a plugged up trans case vent

venting is necessary or it will start to blow it out your seals.
    there should be a small vent line on the top of the trans case back about where the belhousing profile ends and the trans case shape starts.

that would be my first guess

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I agree on the plugged vent. It should leak out the vent before it gets up the cable. At least you don't have to worry about lubing the cable.

4. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

sounds like the vent is surely clogged but you have other issues also, fluid shouldn't be dumping out the vent either. Flush it and change the filter at the very least

5. Trans was rebuilt a number of years ago...this is the first time it's been run.

How do I check to see if the vent tube clogged or how do I unclog it?

I don't think it's over filled (but anything's possible). I was checking the fluid level periodically while filling it. I'll check the level on the dipstick..do you check it cold or after running it for a couple mins?

Is the only way to drain it and check it all out to remove the pan? I don't remember there being a drain plug on the pan.

6. oldsman41

oldsman41

you have to drop the pan

7. Confirmed it was the vent. I put a siphon tube on the vent and couldn't get any air to flow out (or in) via the tube.

Found some wire (picture hanging wire) and used it to clean out the tube. Now air flows free and I don't have any pressure building up.

I do notice that when I shut the engine down, I get a little 'spit' of fluid out the tube. Not a lot...just a little bit. Might have to try to stick a tube down the filler hole and siphon out a little bit of fluid ( or should I just let it spit out fluid till it stops?)

Thanks for the help with this problem.