Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leafsprings with a high hp Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfrolka, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

I'm trying to find out the correct way to mount a leafspring from scratch. I have a 51 mercury and Im running a caddy 500 motor. I am shooting for high 11's in the 1/4. I have never set up a leafspring rearend for this type of power. I want to drive it on the streets and keep it simple. I have checked out ladder bars setups with the floating leafsprings but I have seen so many different ways of doing it that I am a lost in how to do it. I have a ford 9" rearend to swap out and I want to have this car real low. Maybe get drop leafs made for the 51 frame for the baseline and put on a Alston ladderbar and floater kit?? I want to have it drive nice and hookup. Any pointers will help!!!

2. flamedabone

flamedabone

A basic leaf spring set up with maybe a set of Cal-Tracs or even slapper bars will do just fine. The key is to keep the spring from wraping up under acceleration and shaking the hell out of everything.

I am afraid, however that getting your Merc in the 11s might be harder than it looks. The biggest hurdle will be getting enough tire under the 1/4s and still get it low. Damn near all your quarter mile et comes from the first 60 foot, and if you can't get the traction, you are shit out of luck.

The two piece 1/4s on a Merc have a big dumb flange that hits the tire when you get the car low, so you have to tuck the tire in close to the center. If you tuck the tire, it wants to hit the frame rail on the inside.

You can always tub it but that's gay...

Good luck and lets see some pics. We love Mercs.

-Abone.

3. RJP

RJP
    from PNW

have your spring guy make up a set of super stock springs for the car. That should take care of your whole problem.

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

Ya I dont wanna tub it out and run big slicks, fuck all that. I already trimmed off the lip on the frame so I could fit my rearend on it. The backing plates are 1" away from the frame rails so I could get as much tire back there as possible.

My main concern right now is where to get a good set of springs from for this kind of load.

Also, how do I do the the rear shackles. How long do they need to be.

All I have right now to work with is a stock frame, caddy 500 motor and th400 with narrowed ford 9 rearend. So I'm up for ideas.

I have a convertor connection so I can definitily play with how hard I launch the car and what rpm and gear for the top end.

I never liked hard launching cars, not every track can handle it. I'd rather go out the top end harder.

Heres a pic of the interior so far, just have to skin the floor framing...

Attached Files:

5. You might want to talk to SlddnMatt, PM me for his number.

I'm still not exactly sure what our '51 Mercs weigh, so running high 11's will be impacted by that. If they are like 3500 then a 28" tall drag radial would be fine. Diamondback can customize drag radials and even give them white walls, my friend has a set.

6. jfrolka

jfrolka

I saw some mono leafs on calverts website and running the caltracs setup with his leafs? I just want this car about 6" off the ground and no drop blocks in the rear.

7. Caltracs work for sure, I have friends who have gone mid 8's in the 1/4 with them.

8. jfrolka

jfrolka

Were they running the split springs he sells or just his caltracs?