Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leafspring Gurus...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Fordtk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Is there any safe way to move a spring eye at home?? I want to take the eye from the top of the spring to about in line with the spring. I have heard that heating is not a safe thing to do so what is.......just buy a pair???? Thanks in advance!!!

2. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

Find a local spring shop, they all have a press that can reshape them.

3. Ya' don't heat springs :eek: . This is a myth. It takes the temper out of the steel and then ya' have nothing :p .

What ya' need is a good old sledgehammer and an anvil. If ya' don't have an anvil, find a piece of plate steel with about a 1/2" step in it. Mount it to something real solid, like an old tree stump.

Have your buddy hold one end of the spring while you swing the hammer. Make sure ya' give him some nice padded heavy duty gloves, 'cause sometimes he'll get stung! Hit the spring with the sledge between the step and the flat of the plate. You'll see the spring move after just a few hits.

I've reversed the arch of main leafs this way, "tuned up" my tri-5 Chevy rears and custom arched oval track race car springs from old Chrysler rears.

Draw a chalk line arch on the floor to use as a guide. Get all the leaves arched the same. Grind off all the burrs and sharp edges and coat the full length of each leaf with grease. Get a long spring center bolt and drop it in place. Use some BIG c-clamps to squeeze the assembly together. Tighten up the center bolt, add a few clips around the spring to make sure the leaves don't shift.

You're ready to go. Total expenditure: a few bucks for center bolts and $10 for beer to keep your buddy on the job :) .

4. 34Fordtk

34Fordtk

Thanks guys I will look to see if there is a shop that will do this if not I will take a BIG hammer to it.......whats the worst thing I have to do...buy new springs! LOL!