Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods leaf spring questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foolthrottle, Jan 16, 2017.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I recently bought new rear leaf springs for my 55 Chrysler Windsor, the springs I ordered were for a 55 Imperial, I've used Imperial springs before in Windsors and New Yorkers because they provided a little more stiffness being designed for a heavier car and typically there is only 1" difference between models , what I got was springs that were arched to the point that they create almost 6 inches too much lift even with 2" lowering blocks. The stance of the car looks ridiculous, I 'm wondering if I might be able to save these springs by removing 4 or so of the leafs, any ideas?

2. oldolds

oldolds

Take them to local spring shop? They will de-arch them. Usually for free if you bought the springs from them. I would guess they would do it for about what the return shipping would be if you bought them elsewhere. You can also de-arch them yourself if you have a hydraulic press.

3. adam401

adam401

Just to agree with the rearching. I brought a pair of new lowering springs for an off topic truck to the spring shop near me Because they weren't low enough and I wanted to eliminate running huge blocks. They rearched the springs for 60 bucks and had them done in under 24 hours. My springs weren't as off as yours so length was not an issue and the shackle angle was acceptable. Its an option

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Yes. If it has a very short first spring leave it and start at the next leaf. Remove and or put back until you have the height your looking for.

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

The car and springs are currently in so-cal and one shop I contacted said they'd re arch them for 300 bucks, cash, each, well needless to say ,that isn't gonna happen. This seems like one of those things that just spirals out off control

6. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you have a hydraulic press, you can rearch them yourself. This can also be done with a couple of 4x4 wood blocks and a big hammer, but it will be tiring pretty quickly. Dissemble them, put each spring leaf in the press with a block on each side of the ram, and apply slight pressure and release as you move the spring across the blocks (about 6" at a time, avoid making a kink in the leaf). Its not usual have to do the press thing over the entire length of each leaf. If, after dissembling them, one leaf has a deeper arch then the others, start with it, you may not have to dearch all of the leafs in one spring pack. Don't get carried away, and don't try to remove the arch all at one point. After each leaf in the pack has been flattened to your liking, install a new center bolt (available at most auto parts stores) and reattach whatever clamps you may have removed in the disassembly process. An experienced spring guy with proper tools can do a single spring pack in about an hour, or two hours for a pair of springs, if he takes his time. Gene