Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Leaf Spring Clamps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Apr 23, 2021.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

I'm looking for this style of spring clamp for a 2-1/2" wide leaf. I seem them for 1-3/4", 2" and 2-1/4". Have any of you found them for 2-1/2" wide leafs? Spring Clamps.JPG

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

Most later leaf springs seem to be 2 1/2" wide. shouldn't be that hard to find. On my Model A rear spring, it had spring clamps made out of sheet metal. Very easy to make.

3. earlymopar

earlymopar

This style has been hard to find in 2-1/2" hence the reason for this thread. I know I can use the regular 2-piece sheet metal clamps but that's not what I want. Both the sheet metal style and the clamp above use a "half-shear" feature to locate and retain the position of the clamp on the spring. I can make either of them but I'd prefer to not reinvent the wheel if I can find the right clamp on the shelf.

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes, the style will be the issue. Since most 2.5" are much newer, and every maker went to the less expensive bend type straps. You might have to consider bending up your own and just buying the hardware to assemble them. Small thin flat bar should make this an easy fab job using a good vice and a drill motor.

5. evintho

evintho

I got spring clamps for my '54 at a local spring shop. $25 for six. They were the bend over type but unless you're going for a full on restoration, spring clamps are spring clamps. I Googled 'automotive spring shop in Washington' and found 3 of them. Give 'em a call.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proper rivets are a pain to in as I remember without a press.