Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Leaf spring clamps to help with wheel hop.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RocktimusPryme, May 21, 2020.

1. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

I know I have read that you can add a simple leaf spring clamp to help with wheel hop. I’m less certain of where it should be placed for max effectiveness.

where would that be. In this case I have one on a 5 leaf spring. On the front side of the wheel. Right at the end of the 4th spring. There is one more bottom short spring if I move it back closer to center.

Should I move it forward, back, or leave it where it is?

Attached Files:

2. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Looks like a good place to start. Also try removing any clamps from the rear of the spring. It allows the rear of the spring to fan out and try and transfer the weight.

loudbang likes this.
  3. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back in the day, Mopar suggested you put a clamp at the end of each leaf on the front side of the rear axle, and remove all the leaf spring clamps on the rear part of the spring behind the rear axle, on both sides of the car. Worm gear hose clamps actually work, but be sure the end can't get into the sidewall of the tire. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Assuming parallel leafs? If so, in very simple terms, if you think of the rear spring as 2 different parts: the portion in front the axle, towards the drive shaft controls wind up; the portion behind the axle controls the ride quality. Figure that each leaf has to slide against the other, the biggest non mounted leaf moves first, then so on. If you clamp the 2 largest leaves together you will commence control of the wind up sooner in time. The more clamps the more you force the leaves to work together prior to the spring flexing. That said, I am sure I missed something. Have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Blues4U and RAR1947 like this.

5. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

6. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to assume that none of this will make any difference with my 110 hp (hopefully) 230 cubic inch inline 6 in my '54 Dodge truck project. Is that a safe assumption?

7. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

depends if you have axle wrap or not. If you get wheel hop it might help.

and yeah I read else where about removing the clamps aft of the axle. I also read that if you can putting two clamps in front is better than one. I only had one on each side.

the track called me yesterday and said they were opening for TNT tomorrow.

I got a pair if overnighted traction bars, the universal type, but they won’t fit. The hit the bottom shock mount. I happened to have two leaf spring clamps laying around. Something I ordered a while back to put me over the free shipping Mark from summit. So no traction bars but hopefully the clamps are better than nothing tomorrow.

loudbang likes this.
  8. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess my point was that there will probably not be enough power to make the axle wrap up.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  9. lowrd

lowrd

Mopar advised the use of clamps on the springs but also employed a pinion snubber which was adjustable.

loudbang likes this.
  10. RocktimusPryme

RocktimusPryme

I would still say that’s an unknown. The newest episode of Roadkill Garage has a Tri five with a 265 that wheels hops like mad. I’m sure it’s not laying down any real power.

Put your foot in it and see if the back half likes to party lol.

Hillbilly Werewolf and loudbang like this.
  11. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Chrysler was probably at the head of the class when it came to leaf spring technology....They tested them a lot during their superstock years so I would research their info on the subject....

lemondana and loudbang like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Chrysler product springs were shorter on the front half, making them less prone to wrap, in stock form.

lemondana, RmK57, Rex_A_Lott and 3 others like this.
  13. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I have taken and turned leafs so the longest half is to the front then clamped them. These are both reworked stock springs wagon was 4200 LB and truck is 4010 LB

Attached Files:

14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You can take the second spring from the top and either turn it around or redrilled the center hole so the end of it winds up under the front spring eye and clamp it. Think poor man's traction bar. I have wrapped the whole front section in tape. If you got room, mount one shock in front of the axle and one behind, this is what the factory started doing in the 60's to fix wheel hop. Good luck