Register now to get rid of these ads!

Leading? Looking for a metal finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pshea64, May 2, 2013.

1. pshea64

pshea64
    from Spokane wa

I have not leaded body panels before so I'm looking for some direction.I would like to have a metal finish for my COE and thought lead would be the best way to fill the stitch welds.
    Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you fill all those holes with lead it would not be considered "metal finish" where I come from.

I'd weld it solid, then metal finish it..

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Please weld it solidly. Those tack welds will just crack apart and the lead will do little to hold the panels together.

4. Torchie

Torchie

I'd say that this true pretty much everywhere. I would weld it solid as well then start grinding!!

As far as the lead thing goes there are sources for body solder all over the internet. Just google.
    Or you can go to Eastwood's site and look at the start up kits that they offer. They also offer a lead free Body solder. Never used it myself but I have talked with a few guys that have and they like it.
    The advantage of lead free is that you can sand it and not have the worry of the lead dust. The guy that taught me lead work back in the 70's used to hit his with a sander if he had too....
    Torchie.

5. thought lead would be the best way to fill the stitch welds.
    Any thoughts?

Thoughts ....
    The best way to fill those is with another stitch over the holes
    You are 1/2 way there , and it looks like a very nice start. Don't half ass it now .
    Looks like 1/2 pipe sections joined together ?

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Here's how I figger the future would look for your C.O.E. if you went ahead and leaded over those welds: "If " you were lucky you'd get the lead to flow over those holes between the weld beads, but probably wind up with some pin holes:( You'd next try and go back and clean up those pin holes, and reheat the solder and reflow more lead over them:rolleyes: 'bout this time you'd be sayin' WTF, why didn't I just weld in solid, and metalfinish out the weld?;)

" Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid "

7. pshea64

pshea64
    from Spokane wa

Thanks All
    I hear you loud and clear
    I'll keep sticking

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Weld it solid, otherwise on hot days you will see an impression in the paint where the gaps are, guaranteed.

9. rule of thumb on welding......its 100% or its not welded at all.

10. oj

oj

When you say 'a metal finish' do you mean raw metal? the lead is quite a bit different in color and i image it would age a lot different than raw steel.