Register now to get rid of these ads!

laws in new york?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prost34, Sep 22, 2009.

1. prost34

prost34

I have to build a 35 chevy master coupe for a gentleman in new york,slammed to the ground,fenderless etc.,he was wondering what the do's and dont's where with the inspection,emmisions etc. for a hot rod,he works in the big city and wants to drive it,,,i remmember when i used to live in upstate the cops would pull me over all the time for a front tag,finally i stuck one behind the shell of my 34,,,thanks

2. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

The car needs to pass inspection for the year of manufacture (it'll have to pass saftey for 1935). I'm in NYC and the cops here don't bother you for stuff like hot rods... But slammed to the ground and NYC is like an oxymoron.

3. best that i know no fender law in new york ,no hood law but if your going to run a fanoff the water pump i would put a shroud around it.
    1 light in the back if its in the 20's, 2 up from there. seat belts not until the 50's.
    but i recommened seat belts and lights and turn signals for his safety and anybody in his car. and probably your piece of mind too.
    yes they still bust balls for no front plate unless the year of the car only came with one plate you will have to search that. 7" on the windshield or a dollar bill but i have never seen any of them push that issue. my xgirl was a flat foot so we searched the vtl book and didnt find anything for these issues that i have just said.
    i have had 2 cars with no fenders and 1 of my cars has steam roller 33x21 hoosiers on the back

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

belts werent a law until the 60's... round the same time as front disc's became mandatory for manufacturers

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Belts were commonplace by 1965, mandated about that time.

Front disc brakes were never mandated, weren't even common until the early-mid 70s.

6. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Slammed in the Big Apple ? Be prepared for for monthly body work

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Inspection in the city,,lol thats funny,,,,Subway please

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

Here's a link to the NY DMV telling what's looked at during inspection.No mention of fenders,hoods oe even exhaust systems., which is something that the police take care of if they want.
    http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

9. prost34

prost34

i was taliking to a friend that lives in the city,he laughed at me,he said new york is nothing but deep pot holes,frost heaves,patches etc.,thats why i love the streets of florida,straight and smooth,flat,,,

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The exhaust rule is pretty simple, it must muffle the sound to something like 85 dB at 25 feet, or something similar and must exit behind the passenger compartment. Vehicle can be registered as the year of its major body components, and conform to vehicle and traffic laws in effect at that time. Safety inspection is brakes, including e brake, tires tread depth, steering components, suspension components, wipers, and lights, front end must be 2 white lights capable of hi and low settings, rear red running /stop lamp till 49. signals optional front running (parking lamps) not sure.
    rear of the car needs to be equiped with at least 1 reflector on the street side of the car. Year of manufacture plates or plate (certain years only 1 plate was issued) may be run (with historic vehicle plate restrictions) with approval of the special plate department of the DMV.

And after having driven in NY, I would suggest a minimum of 4 inches of ground clearece and a good lot of suspension travel. And Big and littles will be a lot of fun o the metal grid bridges.

Metro NY area has different emmision rules than the rest of the state so you might want to check into that.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009