Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lathe help! How do i change the belt?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

So for x mas i got an Atlas 10" lathe, model OC54. The old belt is shot and i need to change it out. Problem is, i cant for the life of me figure out how to. The spidle and gear reduction all needs to come out but theres no diagram for it anywhere. Anybody know it better than i?

Marty

2. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

if its a flat belt i cut a serpintine belt from a late model car punch a few holes in each end and use mechanics wire to make some belt staples. it refuses to slip. mike

3. I've got the same problem with mine. I have to take off the two saddle bearings to remove the shaft that holds the pullys on and then change the belt. The belt lasts about 15 years so its a good chance to check the bearings. I should say split bushings, they aren't bearings.

4. I have a south bend, don't know if its similar to the atlas. There is a retaing nut on the drive end of the spindle, the spindle comes out towards the tool end. Lots anal parts and gears involved, took me about 30 mins with an extra set of hands.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Funny coincidence. I recently was given an Atlas 10" lathe in need of repair/refurbishing. If you do an internet search you'll find a guy in England who has documents and manuals for just about the entire Atlas/Craftsman product line from it's entire history.

To replace the belt, you have to remove the spindle shaft. Yeah, there should have been an easier way, but there's not.

I don't know the names of all the parts, but you have to loosen and remove just about everything on the shaft to get the shaft out and then push the shaft out towards the right (chuck) side. Make sure you get all the set screws loose.

Mine is apart right now and I'm debating whether to buy new bearings.

6. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I made a new belt out of a leather belt I used to wear. I drilled several tiny holes in each end and sewed the ends together with kevlar fishing line while it was in place.
    works great !

7. hotflint

hotflint

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""To replace the belt, you have to remove the spindle shaft. Yeah, there should have been an easier way, but there's not.""

Oh yes there is...Cut the old belt off, replace with a peice together make-any-length belt from HF or your favorite industrial belt supplier..

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replaced the belt on my 13" Southbend lathe by cutting off the old one, putting on a new one and gluing the ends together with a special glue made for the material I used (sorry, but I don't recall and wasn't smart enough to save the name of the glue). I got the belt from Ebay and the glue from McMaster-Carr. It's been on for 5-years and still running great.

Check on old posts on the Practical Machinist chat room.

10. Go to McMaster-Carr.com and search "adjustable length V-Belt" or "adjustable length round belt". and find the right size and order. Nice stuff, works great for stuff like this

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Go to http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/ he reproduces quality original manuals I have bought several and also give them to people that buy equipment I sell.

Pat

12. R Pope

R Pope

You can do a scarf joint, where you taper the flat belt for about an inch. Useta be you sewed the ends together, but now I think a good glue would work. Easier than pulling the head apart, unless the bearings are in need of attention anyway.

13. squirrel

squirrel

or you can use "alligator lacing" to connect the ends of the new belt, if it's a flat belt. Lots of ways to skin this cat

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a good site to learn more about your lathe, glad someone suggested HF for the belt, I found one at a local Baum Iron store in Omaha, it was just a little pricier but may be better quality, I didn't know at the time that HF had them
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlas618lathe/

15. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

It's a Atlas guys ,they use a modern V-belt not that out dated flat thing. But OP simply buy the link belt and save yourself a bunch of unneeded work.

16. Frank36

Frank36