Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Richard Paul: Thanks for posting. I've had 2 Lathams and got the first sometime around 1976 and it was a 2 carb unit set up for a Y-block.
    Traded that and a Frankland QC. to someone in Pittsburgh Pa. for my current 4 carb Latham. I've got quite a bit of Latham literature and Magazine articles in my collection.

The Latham registry is just a pet project and is nothing sophisticated being only an envelope and an Excel spreadsheet. I've posted Latham info wanted threads on the FEForum and the Corvette forum. But very little responce.

If you want send me an e-mail & we can exchange ideas.

Movin/on

2. HIPO352

HIPO352

Hi just wondering if you still have the instructions for that fe Latham set up. I have recently purchased a model 19a as well as I have a Latham fe intake for it. But still need a couple items crank pulley or dimensions so I can make one. Also if you still have a copy of those instructions that would be cool. Would be happy to pay for a copy as well. Looking forward to the build.

3. superbinder

superbinder
    from topeka, ks

mine is a 4 sidedraft carb model 16-A ser. 001425. Richard Paul e-mailed me in 2006 with this info, sold to Raymond Covert on 6/10/61 for a 56 buick.Oren covert said they ran it on several different engines also, straight 8 buick, 383 mopar

4. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

I now own the Latham the above hamber had, I will post a picture of it. Thanks for working out the change in ownership, superbinder! I have loved these since they were new, I spent many a happy math class hiding Hot Rod and Car Craft in my textbook, looking at pictures of neat stuff like this while he spouted boring stuff about numbers. Oddly enough, I later taught math. I tried to be less like him, and made math as fun as I could.
    Bob

Attached Files:

5. jengen

jengen
    from Michigan

Just bought a 57 Corvette from the original owner's son. It has a Latham supercharger that was installed prior to 1958 per the owners wedding pic in the car in 1958. I've been told by one person that there were only six Latham superchargers made for corvettes in the 50's and 60's but would like more information if anyone has it.

6. Jengen: it's hard to say how many were installed on Corvettes but from my info they used an early style Chevy FI intake manifold. I've seen a couple on Corvettes but have no idea about how many there were . I'd really like to see pictures of the installation (and a couple of your 57).

Attached is the 1965 price sheet I have.

Movin/on

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  7. elgringo71

elgringo71

There is an old magazine article on the jalopy journal under the title 415 horsepower blown Corvette. It could be the same car that you bought.

8. Mojo

Mojo

9. Mojo

Mojo

10. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

One on e**y for 3K right now.

11. thats definitely something you dont see everyday ....

12. c334charlie

c334charlie

we installed a latham mod 14=bc ser 001172 in a 55 ford pick up with a just rebuilt 312 it will only start with starting fluid there seams to be on vacuum at startup. dose any one know possible cause and where can we get new flat belt 52/11/2 thanks.

13. Startup: I'd check fuel pressure I'm not able to get my info right now (in Michigan) but if you'd check the pressure needed for the Carter YH carbs that would get you into the ballpark.

The source to get vacuum on a Y-block I'm not familiar with, but that could also be a startup problem if you have a vacuum advance distributor.

Flat belts are a real issue, I don't have a source and usually see micro groove belts. I'm converting to a large diesel 14-16 groove belt which involves a new upper pulley and cutting grooves or making a new bottom pulley.

Please post some pictures.

14. c334charlie

c334charlie

to day we found vac leak at the manifold gaskets the ports in the latham manifold are large and crude . has any one dealt with this?

15. anteek49

anteek49

I have my latham registered here and now 4 sale.I sold my tons of Y-block stuff and now longer need it. had it for 35 years and now will sell it to someone that isn't a tire kicker. contact me at : [email protected]

16. Carmambo

Carmambo
    from Minnesota

Was anyone still looking for the unidirectional belts for the Latham I had several made for an FE ford latham set up I can check into it if anyone needs them made

17. Located a Latham model X39A serial no. 001498. This unit is approx. 16.25" long and has one intake and one exhaust. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

18. anteek49

anteek49

Sold my Latham.Gong on an early Olda in the midwest. It was fun being here.

19. Bengalsnation2005

Bengalsnation2005
    from Kentucky

I have a Latham model 10-5al 001513it is the two carter carb model everything still spins just no use for it anymore. Hope this helps out your registry. Anyone looking for one let me know. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385140712.919935.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385140731.046017.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

20. Great to see more Lathams showing up!
    Bengalsnation2005 would you please E-mail me the pictures so I can have them full sized?

Thanks Movin/on

21. mgudge

mgudge
    from Orygun

Hello, can you send me your email or phone number or you email or call me? I have a Latham Blower to add to your registry and am looking at another for which I have questions to you. I would like to speak or email with you right away! 23 Nov. 2013. I can be emailed at [email protected] or by phone at 503-622-3639. Thank you for your time and for putting the registry together. Mike

22. enigmastroker

enigmastroker
    from usa

Hello. Do you still have and want to sell your Latham? I have a 327 that's itching for some boost. Thank you, Geoffrey g[email protected]

23. enigmastroker

enigmastroker
    from usa

Hello. I'm interested in your Latham, if you still have it. [email protected] or 610-776-7661. Thank you.

24. rshindell

rshindell
    from phoenix

I have a Latham, soon to be on a small block Chevy in a 26 T Coupe. (similar to an early AMT model which had a Mercury instead in a 25T) Richard Paul is a great resource. One thing no one has mentioned is to be wary of the idler pulley on the driver's side as this is a reverse rotation marine unit that cannot be used on a car. There have been units on the auctions that downplay this regardless of warnings- they pretend not to know, but you'll get stuck with a beautiful but useless item

25. racinonmymind

racinonmymind

I have a Latham on a 76 corvette 350. It uses a 2 barrel side draft weber carb. it needed more fuel so we added a NOS fuel solenoid on a full throttle switch plumed into the back of the supercharger.
    This thing runs GREAT! supercharger 1.jpg supercharger 2.jpg

26. T-Faust

T-Faust

RE: Devon (or Devin) That was a fiberglass kit car from the late 50's, 60's. Fairly common.

27. T-Faust

T-Faust

I just bought a Latham at auction yesterday here's a link to pictures on Photobucket:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/user/TWFaust/slideshow/LATHAM
    The serial number is 1521 and I found it in Rhode Island. It looks like it was originally a 4 YH setup. I got it at auction with one carb and a intake casting with one carb mount blocked off. If anyone knows where to find another 4YH intake casting, I'd like to know about it. I hope experts will look at the picture and notice what appears to be a factory fabricated steel "runner". It is flanged on both ends to mate with the blower. I have no idea about it.

I was just looking through some Google pictures and realized that the original air filter covers were at the auction. I dismissed them, thinking they were some kind of small MG hubcaps.

It was an estate auction with a lot of M.G. stuff. There was talk the owner had tried to adapt it to an MG, that would explain the single carb. And maybe all the odd brackets on it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck likes this.
  29. 'm pretty sure Richard Paul owns it. (he is currently the owner of the reformed Axial Latham Company)
    Glad you posted the info.
    T-Faust Lathams were adapted for almost any engine so hard to tell what the steel would mate up to. Lathams could be mounted on their side so possibly a old 4 banger?

Movin/on

loudbang likes this.
  30. LAROKE

LAROKE

Just received shipment of a Latham I got from an eBay vendor. I'm sorry but the ID tag is missing so it isn't much help for your registry. Here is the auction description and photo.

This is a LATHAM supercharger, the tag is gone, so I don't know the model or specifics- except that this one was on a 1961 Small Block Chevy WINTERS intake (7013073- Marine/Boat application)- THE INTAKE HAS AN OLD REPAIR/WELD- ONE ON EACH SIDE- SEE PICS. The bracket has "2053" and "FRONT" stamped on it. The carbs are all 3172S Carter YH carbs that look good move freely but have been sitting A LONG time...and 1 carb has an inspection port or repair to it (see pics) - so rebuild restore them before use. The supercharger looks pretty nice, and very cool!!!! It spins easily and it continues to spin after you let go. It is not super quiet, but it certainly doesn't sound like grinding, and it doesn't clunk or get stuck- so it looks to be a good unit. That said, I never ran it, and I don't know its history, other than it has sat for a long time- so it probably needs servicing, rebuilding, restoring before use.

IS NOT COMPLETE, so study the pictures, and do your research. Comes as pictured!
    I've been told this may be a "BOAT ONLY-REVERSE ROTATION" item (and won't work on a car) by another eBayer. I don't know if he is right, but I thought I'd pass the info along...so PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.