Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Funny but pertinant, the 8 carb setup was on a guys 34 Coupe in Oxford and ended up in Metamora when I got the pictures. (I'll withhold names but Paul and I knew the owners) I've known Paul55 since 1972.
    Movin/on

loudbang likes this.
  2. Mojo

Mojo

Just saw this on youtube. Surprisingly quiet. I can't get the damn link to work right, just click it, it opens in another window.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CH3jMiag20Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. loudbang

loudbang

good find

1947knuck likes this.
  4. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

I've located a nice looking Latham that's been sitting since '68, unfortunately the serial number plate is missing. Been mulling over the possibilities for fuel delivery, as a pair of Carter one-barrels is underwhelming. I'm stunned discovering the inlets to the supercharger are just a pair of 1 3/8" diameter round holes. How should I determine how much induction a Latham will support?

loudbang likes this.
  5. I wish I could remember the year, but sometime around 1961 a buddy of mine put a Latham blower with 4 SU carbs on a Volvo 544. That blower made the car a real performer. I rode in it often, and it was very impressive.
    Other than pictures, that is the only Latham blower I have ever seen.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  6. Crown'd my literature shows (marketing BS) 715 CFM out of the blower at 15 PSI, engine speed would be 6000 RPM or turbine speed 30,000 (yes 30K) RPM. That should be enough for a small to medium sized engine, maybe up to 400 Cubes. Efficiency thru carbs and the plenum to get flow to the supercharger would be an issue. I cannot see 700+ cfm going thru two 2" diameter entry points. 6.5 sq inches, but then a 780 Holley flows 700+ thru four 1.5" holes in a 4bbl intake. = 7.1sq" so maybe possible ???
    edited the numbers I'd doubled them.
    Movin/on

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  7. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Are the entry holes 2"? Haven't completed the purchase yet, but I thought I read somewhere they're just a pair of 1 3/8ths holes...even VW Type One's have a larger intake port than that.

loudbang likes this.
  8. The 1-1/2 round entry holes are for the 2 carb version. Just measured my 4 carb and the holes are a rounded rectangle. The rectangle portion is 1-1/2" X 2" and a 1.5" semi circle on each end. Total surface area is justover 9.5sq. inches for both sides.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    loudbang likes this.
  9. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Seems all gaskets I can find online show 1.7", which is just 4.54" for both sides. Problem is modifying the inlet for performance ruins the possibility of running the Carter's, linkage and air cleaners in the future and damages value. Decisions, decisions.

loudbang likes this.
  10. Does it have the plenum to mount the carbs? Hers is a two carb version and the 4 carb plenum version[​IMG]

[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  11. Crown'd

Crown'd
    from Utah

Yeah, carbs are mounted along with linkage. No other brackets or pulleys. 20171007_130138.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  12. Racinboo10

Racinboo10

Hello everybody! I recently picked up a Latham Supercharger, currently setup for a flathead ford. Model #7c and serial number 0000105. Just wanted to share to help fill in the registry! Thank you!

Attached Files:

loudbang and cretin like this.
  13. LAROKE

LAROKE

Almost two years ago, I came into possession of the above described Latham. Today I received a second Latham more suitable for adapting to my 1954 Buick 322 Nailhead.

When I got the Latham supercharger almost two years ago, it wasn't the best fit for the Nailhead but I figured it could be adapted to work. The biggest obstacle to overcome is that it appears to be a reverse rotation model built for a boat engine. This would require a custom serpentine belt, or gearing to make it work on the Nailhead. Such an arrangement would take away from the look I'm trying to achieve. I kept looking and a couple of weeks ago, The "test mule" for Motor Trend's June 1959 Cover story came up for auction on eBay. I won the auction and it arrived here at the Krash Kubicle around lunch time. Included were two belts, the pulleys, manifold and magneto that were on the small block Chevy test engine. It spins freely and the throttle linkage works well. This will be much easier to adapt to the 322 Nailhead and will keep its vintage appearance as well. The Latham tag still exists and this is a Model 28-A Serial Number 001359. I'm a happy camper. [​IMG]

rod1, cretin, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

How was the Latham packaged and shipped. I have one to sell and am concerned about how to ship it safely. Thank you.

loudbang likes this.
  15. LAROKE

LAROKE

It was shipped pretty much as shown with the carbs still attached. The pulleys were in a cardboard box inside the main box packed with foam peanuts. The belts were in another cardboard box inside the main box. The chevy fuelie intake manifold and the magneto were separate and were wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap as was the Latham carb assembly. All this was in a cardboard box, 36" x 36" x 60" high with two layers of cardboard facing inside the box and packed to the top with foam peanuts. Took me about an hour to unpack it and clean up the peanuts. Came from Wyoming to South Florida via UPS ground. The whole package was listed as weighing 78 pounds and cost about $128. Outside of the package took a moderate beating but there was no evidence of escaping peanuts and nothing was broken, bent or gouged.

loudbang likes this.
  16. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

Thank you very much. That is a big help.

loudbang likes this.
  17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

image.jpg image.jpg So is the serial number any where else on the Latham super charger body , also any more info on this model thank you

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  18. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

Mine doesn't have a serial number anywhere else on it and I bought it new but Latham did sell a number of different units to fit certain engines. I have seen the serial number plate on different locations than mine. Your compressor has 12 sections. Mine has only ten intended for a small block Chevy. Larger engines required a longer compressor. I feel pretty sure that someone made a different pulley for a V belt. As far as I know Latham only made his with flat belts. I have never seen linkage like that but I'm sure I haven't seen all the applications that Latham has made.

continentaljohn and loudbang like this.
  19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

If a may ask is yours being used on a motor? I know of only one and that would be the
    Burk Roadster with the flathead. I was looking for something to go with the 241 red ram Hemi ....
    I believe the pulley and linkage is stock and linkage is pretty darn neat .

20. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

Mine is not presently on an engine but it was on my 1934 Ford with a small block Chevy from 1982 to 2001 when I replaced it with a 1990 Tuned Port Injection. I put 60,000 miles on the Latham. The compressor is presently in California having new bearings installed at Axialflow Engineering by Richard Paul. Richard Paul bought out all of Latham stock etc. and presently services the Latham Superchargers. I will be selling the complete SBC set up for a SBC after the compressor returns from California.
    My supercharger has a 10 inch drive pulley and a 2 inch flat pulley on the compressor. It needs the flat pulley to allow slippage when you leave off the accelerator because the compressor is turning 5 times engine speed and can't slow down as fast as the engine can. A smaller drive pulley with a v belt may work I don't know. 34Coll2.JPG

continentaljohn likes this.
  21. Finally back in Oregon so I can check my info (Posting here instead of the conversation/PM) . Would you please measure the overall length of yours Front face to rear face (not the pulley) It sure does look like 12 sections and that seems to be the first I can remember. Length will tell. I'll compare the length to mine. The 4 holes on the top are where the Latham nameplate and serial number would have been. Sometimes they are on the front or back of the unit. I can't figure out a reason.
    Movin/on

22. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

Sorry I can't measure it right now. The compressor is still in California awaiting new bearings. If all goes well he may be able to ship July 12th.

23. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The guy I got it from had a restoration shop and did corvettes , Packard and Auburn automobiles. I counted the large rings and there’s is 12 of them... Its crazy how nice it spins and how long it keeps going. I don’t know if I will have enough room for it in the 32 so may end up with a cragar 471 on the redram 241. Plus with the extra rings what’s the boost on a 12 ringer image.jpg

24. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

I really don't know how much boost to expect.

25. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Photon, wow that looks so cool in the 1934 and a beautiful car. I am scratching my head how it fit into the engine bay. Do you have any other picture of it .

26. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

John, Sorry I don't have a better picture of the engine compartment with the Latham on it. I now have TPI fuel injection on the car so can't take a picture with the Latham on it. I cut the firewall back 5-1/2" to fit it all in. If you look at the AC drier you can see some of the cut. I had to make brackets for the alternator and AC compressor to fit low on the engine because of how the carburetors stick out. During the early years I had to run without hood sides but later made air cleaners to fit under the hood. If it would help I could take some pictures with the TPI on it. I started on the car in 1976 before brackets were available and because of fitting the Latham I ended up making the engine brackets also.
    Jim

LAROKE likes this.
  27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Jim, thanks for the offer on the pics but I am good. You did such a nice job on the firewall I didn’t notice it was setback a bit. I am trying not to cut the wall at this time but I am going to have to cut the wall or run a electric fan to accomplish what I want...

loudbang likes this.
  28. Photon

Photon
    from Joliet IL

John,
    Best of luck on your project.
    Jim

continentaljohn and loudbang like this.
  29. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

30. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Thanks Jim and your 34 was so bitchen that I am stoked to have one on a old car.

loudbang likes this.