Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Nice looking package!
    Reverse rotation?? not too sure Latham made one. It's not listed in any of my info.
    If you spin the pulley clockwise you should feel an airflow out of the back. but you'll have to take one of the carbs off or open them

I'm currently searching for belt information (14 micro ribbed) to pass on to other owners. My best bet is a Ford L9000 series truck but I can't find info on the crank pulley diameter. The 5 to 1 ratio might necessitate an alternator pulley in place of the flat belt pulley.

ff1930 and loudbang like this.
  2. kibster

kibster
    from Illinois

3. vinman1957

vinman1957

20160820_152811-1.jpg 20160820_152659-2.jpg 20160820_152608-4.jpg

My late uncle left this Latham Setup to me about 10 years ago Model 16-A, S/N: 1399 and was wondering if it is worth rebuilding or should I just put a F.I. Holley setup in my 64 El Camino any suggestions ??

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. cretin

cretin

We have one at the shop that is going on our Packard project. I don't have the numbers off of it right now though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    loudbang, ff1930 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

I spent a couple of hours with my Latham supercharger. The identity tag is missing but I did find "0084" stamped at the front mount bracket under the pulley. When this arrived, It was broken down in two packages. Carburetors and manifold were not bolted up. On Saturday, I assembled it. The carbs all have their sheet metal tags, something that usually goes missing with the first carb rebuild. These carbs are Carter YH 3172S carbs. The manifold is a two piece thing and I will be able to take the top portion and adapt it to a nailhead four-barrel manifold without too much trouble.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Cretin: copied your photo to my PC and magnified the name plate. Model is 28-2a and your serial # is 01611.

Thanks for the photos.

loudbang likes this.
  8. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purchasing this unit to place on a Twin Plug Flathead Lincoln V12. 28A 001378 101_2724.JPG
    latham supercharger.jpg

mgtstumpy and loudbang like this.
  9. cretin

cretin

Rarebike, ours is going on a Lincoln V12 as well. Not dual plug though.

Funny because a guy at the shop and I were just talking about dual plugs on a Lincoln V12 on Thursday.
    What are you going to use for a distributor?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  10. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This timing cover was made by Norm Fricke as well as the twin plug heads. I loaned this to ELCO HEADS here on the HAMB and he should have these available for sale soon here in the states. tim
    timing cover 1.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  11. cretin

cretin

Very interesting.
    Thanks for the info!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. wisdonm

wisdonm

Cretin, thanks for posting the inside pix. It helped understand how these actually work. I still would like a better idea on how the turbines are driven.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  13. The turbine segments are on a drum Latham internals.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mojo

Mojo

Does anyone have a pic of one mounted on a nailhead? I read there was one on ebay a while back, but I've never seen one. Curious what the manifold looked like.

15. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

16. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the longest version made? Can these have additional sections added to lengthen them?

17. From my pictures the longest was 11 stages (large rings). Someplace I remember there was a statement about a 14 stage Latham, I'll have to search for that. Due to the fact that the rings stack on one another then you should be able to lengthen it by adding sections of the case and rotor rings, bolts etc... The problems would be, moving the output of the Latham back would require some type of offset adapter to the intake so the belts would still line up. Second and probably the hardest would be finding a second Latham to scavenge parts from.

Movin/on

loudbang likes this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck likes this.
  19. Jason Berg

Jason Berg

I just recently purchased a boat (1985 LaveyCraft) with a Latham Supercharger on it. It has no I.D. tag so it has taken approx. 1 hot rod guy, 3 mechanics, 1 boat mechanic and 1 auto part store owner to tell me nothing about this Supercharger. 8+ hrs. of Googling has led me here. So mine is hand etched 217 (as far as i can see). Sits on a 5.7L 350, Holley 750DP with the original 3 groove poly belt (that needs to be replaced). Also to note I have only seen one other picture in all my research of another Latham like this one. What vintage is this (80's)? I did find the Axial Website and send a PM to them. Hopefully the lights are still on. Any info or chatter about this Latham or in general is invited.
    Latham.JPG

loudbang likes this.
  20. spdster

spdster

loudbang likes this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

first one I have ever seen with an inlet like that. Have you tried any boat boards?

1947knuck likes this.
  22. Jason: That is the new version of the Latham Axial Flow. The Latham Company ended production of the Axial Flow Supercharger in about 1965. It continued to build Marine products. If you search EBay for Latham you will either see Latham clocks or Latham marine products.
    From what I understand, sometime around 1980 Richard Paul bought the Latham Patent for the axial flow supercharger and redesigned it for mainly Tuner/Ricer cars but found it compatible with small displacement V8 engines as well. He moved the production to California.
    I think the new design is viable but I started this thread about the pre-1965 Lathams in compliance with HAMB tradition.
    I appreciate these posts about the new design because it does carry on the name and HotRod vibe.
    The price tag on that marginal condition (and missing the crank pulley) EBay setup really surprised me. I'd figure $3000 tops.
    Movin/on

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  23. Mojo

Mojo

I suspect that the seller based the value based off of the "1st" one that is listed at $13k. Ebay probably told him it was the "trending price".

24. Jason Berg

Jason Berg

Well I have talked with Richard Paul via phone and he has agreed to overhaul my Latham off the boat. We have had a number of great phone calls regarding this particular Latham. So the short of the story goes that in 84 Lavey Craft Boats sent him the motor and he personally did the dyno and fitting work himself for this supercharger. He claimed it made more horse power gains than any other. As the story goes Lavey built the boat for himself....... Lavey was forced to sell it due to the fact that his wife was scared to ride in it so, up for sale it went. Many years later it sits in my driveway. Everything is repaired and waiting for the Latham. Its suppose to be a 90+ MPH 21' - 1984' Lavey Craft.
    If boats are a hole in the water you dump money into.......I pick this one to bucket it into.

loudbang likes this.
  25. kibster

kibster
    from Illinois

26. loudbang

loudbang

1947knuck likes this.
  27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Serial #1
    [​IMG]

LOU WELLS and loudbang like this.
  28. Eastwester

Eastwester

Hello from Melbourne Australia. Is this thread still alive? I have 3 Latham Superchargers. I can add picks and serial numbers if you are interested. Seasons Greatings. Mark

loudbang likes this.
  29. LAROKE

LAROKE

Please do, Mark. Movin/on will check in here and add them to his registry.

loudbang likes this.