Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Latham Superchargers: Info & Pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by movin/on, Dec 7, 2008.

1. mbailey

mbailey

Another Latham: Model 19A, Serial Number 001271, looks like 10 ring (?!).

Interested in more information. . . . lathamblower 012.jpg

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Heres some stuff for ya

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  3. mbailey

mbailey

Thanks! I have the advertising brochure, but mine is blue instead of green. . . . Sales information is interesting. Seems that prices have changed!?

4. Mojo

Mojo

Thanks for posting that brochure! Is it possible to have a larger scan of it? Anyone who has any paperwork, could you scan it and post it here?

5. Bigabone

Bigabone

I have a friend here that has one from what I remember it has 6 Strombergs Ill ask him if he minds if I pm you his info. He may be able to help you out with you with more info he has so much info on early speed equipment.

6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

done....

7. Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

This one is on a 37 Willys 4 banger with a Hickeys head in a 31 roadster.

Attached Files:

9. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I've got a 16A four carb racing unit serial number 001375. I'll see if I can find numbers on the others I've had. I've had one on a Ford 312, one on a Ford 427, one on a Lincoln 430 and now this one (also on a Lincoln 430). I think they were all 16A's. I'm hoping I have serial numbers for ya

10. mbailey

mbailey

Hey Unk, I would like to mount my 19A Latham on a 430 Lincoln. Any suggestions on manifold?!

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Oooh, I just put my 16a up for sale in the classifieds. I can't remember the 19a. Is that a 13 segment unit? Anyway, the easiest way is to modify a 4v cast iron intake. The harder way is to fab up a new intake. There isn't much to modifying an existing intake though and I'd go that route personally if it wasn't for the fact that one of my best friends builds custom intakes and headers for prostock cars literally next door to my house. I couldn't afford him if he wasn't a buddy but he'd probably build me one if I really needed it. Here is the picture of the one I had on stock Y-block intake with very minor mods...

Attached Files:

12. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Here the on on my friends 27 Chrysler.

Attached Files:

13. Meyer

Meyer

This may be a party foul and I know nothing about these but...

I think I saw one of these on Indy's craigslist in the last day or two. $2K. Yep just found it listed 3/30.

BTW I know nothing about it or the ad. Just figured I would mention after reading this thread.

EDIT... just reading up and it may be Scooby's. Never met you but maybe sometime soon.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  14. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Yep, that's me. There are one or two running here in town on old hot rods. Nothing sounds quite like them.

15. mbailey

mbailey

Hey Unk,

I tried to E-mail Paul what's-his-face about the Latham 19A but have not gotten a response. . . yet. I don't know much about Lathams other than I like the way they look in a hot rod without a hood. I'll put mine in a hot rod one day -- as I mentioned, the idea is a 430 Lincoln, maybe. Of course, I'm not even sure this item will work with one, but I hope your advice about modifying a standard 4 barrel intake manifold works out. It looks more like my blower would fit a 2 barrel intake. But I haven't gone too far with it to date. If you or anyone else has helpful advice, I'm "all ears"!

16. MBailey You'll have to use a 2bbl to 4bbl adapter plate. I got one for my Latham when I got it (y-block setup). It would be easy to fab one up.

Now I have a Latham produced manifold for an FE. but i'm holding off selling the adapter for later use. I'll post a picture to this message later.

Movin/on

17. mbailey

mbailey

Movin/on -- well, duh-huh, as my students would say. I guess I could have figured that out if I had given it some thought. If there's a 4-bbl manifold and a 2-bbl outlet, an adapter stands to reason. As I said, I haven't looked into this very far, yet. Looking forward to picture.

By the way, how's the Latham "registry" coming?

18. From the Drag Cars in Motion Pictures --- Thread

So alot of people say Lathams didn't work,

How about a 11.55 with this much tire smoke??

The engine looks like a SBC but i suspect it just might be a Y-block. so which engine is it? VC bolts look like SBC. The first Lathams however were focused towards Y-Blocks.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  19. mbailey

mbailey

Found the attached/included ad in June, 1962, Hot Rod magazine, p. 18. My mother, in the late 60's/early 70's was a remedial reading teacher. She took my Hot Rod mags to school in hopes of encouraging students to read SOMEthing. A few of the magazines survived and she had passed along the stack MANY years ago. Since I'm now thinking of putting my Latham into a 60's era hot rod, I thought "the stack" would give me some ideas. Funny that I would find the Latham ad in the "What's New" column of Hot Rod!

Attached Files:

20. mbailey

mbailey

I'm continuing to peruse the stack of early 60's Hot Rod magazines (that I mentioned in the last post) and have found another Latham blower reference. This is from the January, 1965, issue, p. 8. It was in the letters to the editors (Post Entry) section. Check it out!

Also, from Hot Rod magazine, December, 1962, p. 117, a want ad in "Hot Rod Mart" for Latham blower. Price was $500; pretty good deal!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  21. BTTT Any new pictures or Info on Latham Superchargers.

Still trying to get info of the ones still in existance. I've only got 30 of the approximately 670 built.

Here's a picture supplied by Uncle Max of his.

Help me out here I need pictures & the Serial # Tag info.

Thanks Movin/on

Attached Files:

22. Dominick Hide

Dominick Hide

Don't have the supercharger, but I do have this factory fabricated Y block intake and vacuum/pressure guage.
    Manifold is likely mounted backwards.
    Does any one have a fuel pressure guage to match?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Bump this to the top again:

Any one got pictures or info on Latham Superchargers???

Here are some examples of the versitility of mounts.

C-2 Vette, Plymouth Poly?? Latham on a TunnelRam,& an early Studebaker.

Movin/on

Attached Files:

24. gatordave

gatordave

I grew up in West Palm Beach not far from the Latham location on Congress Ave, between Belvedere and Okeechobee Roads. Used to ride our bikes by the place when Congress was a two-lane road. Gates were always closed, so were the doors.

rod1 likes this.
  25. s borelly

s borelly
    from pa

I have a Latham to add to the registry. Bought in 1965 by my dad for his 65 tripower GTO. Was used for 2-3 years and then put in the basement. It is complete less the air cleaners.It spins freely, and just needs to have the 4 carter side draft carbs rebuilt.. If my childhood memory is correct it bolted directly onto the factory manifold, but I am not sure.

It is a model 28-A, serial number 1635. I havent seen a higher serial number so I am guessing it is one of the last ones made.

26. Up to the top to find out more info.

I'll be sending the registry info to people who have provided info about their Latham's when I'm back in Oregon.
    Still looking for more Serial Numbers and especially pictures & articles.

Thanks to all who have posted or the 3500+ who have looked.

Another question--- One of the major problems was the belt. ---Any ideas or pictures of a 3 V-belt setup on a Latham Supercharger? I've seen a few serpentine drives but that's not the look I'm going for.

Movin/on

27. BUTCH DURANT

BUTCH DURANT

392 Hemi in a 31 Model A

Attached Files:

28. 61bone

61bone

I modified mine to use a 10 groove microv belt. It didn't slip, but belt life was very short because of the large rotating mass of the rotor. The blower was alright for steady driving, but was lazy for quick rpm changes. This is the one on the early Stude.

29. Chopped Tudor

Chopped Tudor
    from DETROIT

here is mine

Attached Files:

30. Mojo

Mojo

Do you have any bigger pics? Interesting setup!