Register now to get rid of these ads!

Latest update for Jason Graham Hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59elky, Mar 27, 2010.

1. 59elky

59elky

Well the latest bit of info is my insurance company is going to deny my claim all together. Along with lawsuit threats, life just keeps getting better and better.

2. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Wow that sucks Bro. Hang in there. you'll be back bigger and better than ever before.

3. Fuck, that is not good. Sorry man.

4. For what reason?????

5. marvbarrish

marvbarrish
    from SoCal

If you haven't already done so, do consult with an attorney. Insurance companys usually need help in settling claims. It's business as usual in denying claims. If they can get away with it, they will.

6. sambo

sambo

For sure- it could take a while but they want you to give up. The only way to fight worm shit is with worm shit. (what?) Maybe there's an attorny on here that can help?

7. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

oh man that sucks...BIG TIME.

8. selohssa

selohssa

What the hell is the purpose of insurance anyway? Is it not to cover your property loss in the event of an incident?

9. 59elky

59elky

Their claim is because I was working from my personal residence for profit it is no longer covered as homeowners. Thing is, I have been here 10 years and only working full time for 3. Everything I am claiming I had prior to 3 years ago.

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

hate to say it but they got you by the short and curlies.....

Former partner burned the shop up and we went thru the same shit, even though the guy that wrote our policy knew we were working for profit in the building as he wrote the policy. He wrote it up as a residential policy anyway.

Cost us a bunch of $$$.

Sorry Dude, this really sucks.

11. blt2go

blt2go

i am so sorry for what you are going through. i have seen your work in mags and on here, and you are gifted. as said before insurance companies tend to try screwing you before doing what they are paid for, that said i would definitely be contacting a good lawyer. (not that i think they are any better than insurance suits, it would just be good to have one on your side) good luck, and i know alot of people here are praying for you.

12. 59elky

59elky

Trust me. They ARE going to have a fight on their hands. I lost everything I have EVER worked for. They wrote that policy 10 years ago when it was just a hobby. They better at least honor everything on my claim prior to 3 years ago. Especially the building.

13. My wife is an insurance agent, and before you posted this thread she said, "I hope his shop wasn't at his residence, or he atleast had a seperate business policy... or he's no going to see a dime."

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Wow I'm doing the same thing (making hot rod parts for sale) and did not realize that would void my homeowners policy, I had a pretty decent fire started in the shop not too long ago when I unknowingly knocked over a can of pb blaster and broke it open while I was welding it got pretty intense until I got it out. I had beter get ahold of my insurance man and get this covered.

15. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Insurance companies deny, or at the very least attempt to stall, payments due their clients as the are hoping to exhaust the individual filing claim. This goes for HMO's as well. Scour your policy, enlist the help of someone else if it does not make sense and do not feel bad if you find the policy confusing as they are often written intentionally vague.
    Our HMO has put my wife and I through a great deal of suffering, and I am ashamed to admit that they have won the fight by beating us down and exhausting us. I hope this does not happen to you.
    Best of luck.

16. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I have a feeling that they are going to say it is your fault, not thiers, as you did not have the policy changed when you went from hobby to full time. It is your responsability not thiers. Just because the policy was written when you was doing it as a hobby, and most or all of what you lost was from prior to going full time, has no bearing on the fact you was running a business fulltime and did not insure yourself for such. I hope there is some loop hole or something that your side can find to overchange that fact, but it is highly unlikely.
    Hopefully others can/will learn from your unfortunate experience. I'm currently working on going full time on my own, out of my shop on my homestead, and insurance coverage is one of the most important things on my mind. I've been with the same insurance company for 17+ years, and they have been very good to me, and up front about what is and is not covered by my current policies and what I will neeed to have when going to a full time shop. Even the coverage on the my daily driver(shop truck) has to be addressed.

Still hoping for a good outcome for you...good luck Jason.

17. Hang in there, do not let the bastards beat you. You know how to get to where you were.

18. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Lost $80,000 worth of cars and parts to an arson fire set by the owner (I was renting). He was trying to collect the insurance on a property that he could not sell. Myself and a couple of others were renting and all of us took it in the ass. Due to a clever insurance clause they got away without paying anyone. It took me about 3-4 years to fully recover from that. The best of luck with your claim.............you'll need it.

Frank

19. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Frank, sorry to hear about you loss as well. If you do not mind me asking, was it your renters insurance, or his building insurance? I guess what I'm asking was did you have insurance on your stuff as a renter? Sorry if this is a hijack to the thread, just trying to learn as many bad experiences others have had with insurance. Thanks, Al.

20. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Your cars SHOULD have been covered under their own insurance. I know when I enquired about removing insurance for the winter I was told that if the shop burns down, any uninsured cars were not covered by the shop insurance because they can (and should) have their own insurance. This should be the same for "Jason Graham Hotrods", any customer cars should be covered by their own insurance and if the customer didn't have then insured, then the customer is on the hook for the loss.

21. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

What a shame i hope they wake up and pay your claim....On another note my buddy would not let my car in his shop with out insurance on it.

22. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

thats bullshit, fuck insurance companys. That shop was badass, and to loose the cars you had in there is an abomination for them to award no reconciliation.

23. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

I own a business on property and insuring it under a homeowners policy will not happen with any insurance company. I have been down that road to get my shop insured.

best of luck to you.

jim h

24. 59elky

59elky

These people were verbally told that I did not have insurance to cover their vehicles. It was their responsibility to do so and they didn't. 5 of the 7 other people who had a lose here are being men about it and taking responsibility for their own risk. Seems like 2 of them tho are not.

As far as my insurance company goes, I AM NOT letting them by with denying my entire claim. Hell there were my sons 2 bicycles, weedeater, hedge trimmer, antique collectibles, tons of items in the building that had nothing to do with any type of business.

25. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Will watch this thread closely. Good luck.

26. GARY?

GARY?

Ughhh, this is a tough one to watch. I wish you the best.
    and thanks for sharing this "big steaming pile of poo" of an experience. We can all learn from each other. This is a hard lesson.

I know alot of people who work from home. If your work computer shorts out and starts a fire in the house is that reason enough to "legally" deny a claim.

There has to be a lawyer in the mix. Speak up!!!

27. 59elky

59elky

I have also been checking into Comercial Garage insurance coverage. That only covers my liability if I personally do something in working on the vehicle to cause damage. I specifically asked if accidental fire or theft would be covered and the agent said NO. That would be covered under the owners comprehensive coverage. Now if I were working on the car and it caught on fire it would be covered. I have never been so confused on all the crap that is and isnt covered.

Bottom line is, If my insurance doesnt honor my claim, or even a portion of it, i'm out of a job, place to work and tools to work with. And if these people file their lawsuits and win, then it really doesnt matter because I will be forced to file bankruptcy and they will get nothing. Needless to say, I AM STRESSED to the max.

28. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I was in collision repair I became so sick of the adjusters for the insurance companys screwing me over I told them to get bent after 20 years. Insurance might mean im gonna screw you when you need me the most.Health care and car insurance is what they deem necssary for them to profit from you with out a pay out big me little you I hate the cock suckers I wish you all the best. Damn expensive lesson on chicken shit insurance companys how can they sleep at nite. Did I tell you I hate those S.O.B.S !! Hopefully your friends will all be there when you need them the most !!

29. GARY?

GARY?

Seems like a good time take that fine dog out for a walk and enjoy the simpler things in life, like picking up dog poop in a plastic bag or throwing a tennis ball. I prefer the later:D
    This experience will make you stronger and smarter.
    as NKOTB used to say "hang tough!"

30. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a little experience with insurace companies trying to F me.. They are fucking legal scam artists 90% of the time. All I can offer is Lawyer,LawyerLawyer!! They have no problem telling a hard working average Joe to get lost, but as soon as there are lawyers involved suddenly they start paying attention. Try to find a lawyer who hates getting screwed by insurance companies as we do. Be ready for a long fight, but with a good lawyer on your side, they'll eventually budge..

Was the fire covered on the news or anything? Sometimes the media will do a follow up story.. And sometimes shedding light on the situation will get an insurance company to settle right quick.. Ask me how I know :) But don't cross the line into the slander zone. Good luck.