Register now to get rid of these ads!

Later "MonoJet" carb on a 235???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Does anyone know offhand if the 1v carburetors from late 60s/early 70s Chevy 250 engines bolt onto the older 235 engines? Seems like a sensible upgrade if the pattern is the same.

2. Duration

Duration
    from Wayne, MI

if not go carter, i think they work?

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

best carb is from langdons stovebolt.holley weber

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I think the rochester model "B" is the best choice for the 235.
    The monojet wasnt a really good carb when new.
    The B is a great little carb , pretty simple straight thru design and uses holley jets etc...
    One more opinion from the crowd..:eek::D

5. Raw gas line feeding the open intake manifold might be better than the monojet, actually. Some guys are happy with Carter YFs, some with Bs, some with old Stromberg 1bbls, but I have to think you'd have the best luck with whatever was made in big numbers the most recently, if just on the basis of servicability.

From what I've read these 235s also like 2 carbs and will run better if the fuel's not forced to travel so far to the end cylinders.

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha, okay...there's not a lot of love out there for the lowly MonoJet, I see! I was just thinking of ways to make a 235 run better and increase the reliability at the same time.

To my way of thinking, the 250 Chevy engines from the late 60s up into the late 70s ran great and were ultra reliable, so I figgered I could equip the 235 in a similar fashion and hopefully get similar results! The stock distributor is already scheduled for a date with the dumpster, to be replaced with a modified HEI (complete with VACUUM ADVANCE!!! WoW!)...so my only question lies in what to do about the stock carb?

(In a Perfect World, somebody out there would have a new-in-the-box Holley Economaster replacement carb for a mid 70s 250 Chevy and be willing to sell it!)

That would be the IDEAL carb for this car, but the underlying question remains...is the bolt pattern the same between the old 235 one barrel carbs, and the newer 230 and 250 one barrel carbs?