Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Later Ford Banjo Rear End with Banana Spring.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31hotrodguy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I have a question that has been keeping me up at night. Can the later Ford banjo rear end spring hangers be modified to fit under an early V8 chassis that still has the “banana” spring?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

i assume by banana spring you mean the curved 32-34 spring. Yes, its done all the time. usually to use a 35-40 rear which is 3/4" wider per side, a little extra tire clearance, and a little stronger center section of the diff. easiest is grind about a 1/4" out of the top few leafs until it fits in the curved cross member, stick the top leaf of the straight spring in there and you will see what needs to be done. 2nd way, if wanting to lower at the same time, is to flatten a 35-40 cross member and only use the center of it to get a straight spring mount and a lower end result. you dont tell what year you are working on, but in my 34 at exactly 12" from center, on both sides, this is the point where the tapered cross members become the same size to weld a flattened later member together and gives about 2" lower spring mount without disturbing the ends which are riveted to the rails. some guys just make a whole new cross member, but it cant move back much if you want to use the stock gas tank, in a 34 anyway. i'm sure other folks have more ideas, what year frame is "early" ?

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

Thanks Rusty Valley,
    I have a 34 chassis but it was kicked up in the rear and the stock rear cross member was welded in place. Since they actually did a good job ie it is straight I’d rather not mess with it. My banjo rear is a 48 I believe. It’s been awhile since I looked at it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app