Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Later 1960s Style Model A (Advice wanted)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Sep 7, 2018.

1. It's an outstanding car built by an awesome family. I'm just personalizing it to my tastes. If I'm not changing things on a car then it's time to sell it! Unfortunately that's my costly point of view. Nick

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Budget36 likes this.
  2. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Then you should do YOUR thing not what the crowd wants.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

It's a very nice car! It's nice to see an Olds engine in it. I have a 455 in my convertible, but I wanted to keep the car all Oldsmobile. Just drive the car and have fun!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  4. Thank you! I really love the Big Block Olds!

5. 34Larry

34Larry

Late to this party but don't take to much from any advise from this site. Respect what is said but...…….remember that these suggestions come from guys set in there ways. I learned the very hard way my self when building my '34 and asking advise. Alot of this shit is so damned bias, not much of what what is said here has any room for others wants, needs, ideas and so on. You must recall and remember this is a TRRINDIONALIST site, meant for those who love that time period and so if you step outside that boundary you could be slammed pretty damned hard. I didn't read all the comments but just a few like the comments on the side pipes, the air cleaners. You like 'em keep 'em. And BTW, I don't care for the "Old Fart" moniker much.

Hnstray and Nicholas Coe like this.
  6. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

^^^^^ THIS !

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SPEL CHEK DOSNT WERK WEN EWE HAV THE CAP LOK ON :cool::D:)

Every Olds guy cringes when they hear that expression. I too have a great fondness for my 455 in my ragtop but not a big block, just an Olds. It's all that needs to be said. Leave the adjectives for the Chevy boys. :D

Something we share in common sir. I find it is cheaper to start from scratch than to try to morph someone's else's dreams into mine often. Like me dear departed grandma used to say "Make that damn bitch your own and drive it like you stole the f*er...just don't honk at golfers while their trying to tee off, that's just plain rude". :p

8. Thank you!

9. Alright guys! So we are removing the cowl lights. What should go in the hole? An indicator/ side marker? Here's my car with them before I wrongly installed the cowl lights. Nick IMG_20180504_194942.jpeg IMG_20180511_093918.jpeg

exterminator likes this.
  10. Weld up the holes-grind-thin layer of filler, red primer, and color match panel.

kidcampbell71 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  11. Thank you!

12. More progress....
    Removed Fiberglass grille shell to replace with a repro steel one. Removed radiator and alternator for painting. Also began welding up the cowl light and gas cap holes. Also removed the side pipes. We will eventually be adding under car exhaust from those awesome custom made headers! IMG_20190125_164806.jpeg IMG_20190125_164529.jpeg IMG_20190125_164516.jpeg IMG_20190125_164521.jpeg IMG_20190125_164602.jpeg IMG_20190125_164606.jpeg IMG_20190125_164537.jpeg

13. sunbeam

sunbeam

Best old fart advice if you do it next to wife do it in public you will only get eye rolls.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  14. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

What radiator is that and how does it cool that 455, had one in an F100 and could never cool the darn thing. Bill

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  15. It's a modern aluminum radiator. It was designed, I believe, as a smaller Champion for Model A or T grills. It cools just fine with a mechanical fan! I'm really happy with that!

16. My opinion on side pipes: Black means business, chrome says look at me! Of course, anyone driving a hot rod is sayin' look at me, isn't he?

mohead1 and Nicholas Coe like this.
  17. I agree! I'm now trying to decide on the headers as I have gambled and removed the side pipes. IMG_20190125_164639.jpeg

18. Well, were it I doing this my first thought would be to totally remove the collector and build a new one out of a proper size U-Bend turning it outboard just a bit and capping it off so I could open them as I wanted. Then I'd tap on the back side for standard exhaust pipe and run it in and under the chassis installing Mufflers somewhere and take tail pipes out the back. Now that's just a general thought and subject to adjustment as I go but I would have a plan in place before I cut anything. Reason for doing a total collector back is to Not have 3 welds in a row in plane sight.

1stGrumpy and Nicholas Coe like this.
  19. I have bought many Header packages from S.P.D. Exhaust over the years and his stuff is over the top in quality. I tried to copy a photo of his 3 into 1 collector to show ya what I would use. They come in a range for primary tube size to any size collector you want. You can even get them in a Slip on with cone if you want. Go to his web page and look at what he has in photos. Just go to Collectors then weld on merge, a 3 pipe pops right up. The reason I'd go slip on is because welding on old used pipe is a Crap Shoot on your best day. Plus you can use a Chop Saw to remove what you have and not need to weld a plug to tie the center of your pipes back together.

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  20. That's a nice idea! For now I'm going to add these Car Chemistry turn outs. Hopefully they will temporarily help the noise level! s-l400.jpeg IMG_20190125_164639.jpeg

21. Stock Racer likes this.
  22. More body progress made. Fitted the steel grill shell. Looking pretty good! IMG_20190205_174258.jpeg IMG_20190205_174214.jpeg IMG_20190205_174200.jpeg IMG_20190205_174333.jpeg IMG_20190205_174206.jpeg

23. More progress!!! Painted cowl and installed band. Removed headers for chrome plating....
    The coupe looks so much better without the cowl lights or gas cap! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.... 572917049.jpeg

24. Much better!

Nicholas Coe likes this.
  25. 1stGrumpy likes this.
  26. Who votes to keep the Burgundy? I really wanted to eventually go Black with gold metal flake. The color now is very traditional and goes well with the black and gold accents. IMG_20190227_163842.jpeg

Chavezk21 and pitman like this.