Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late to the party

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Pass The Torch, May 18, 2018.

1. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Greetings from North Carolina.

A little background, and what led me here:

I've been in and around street rodding from an early age, thanks to my Uncle, "Tall John" Kundlya, of Linden, N.J. We used to attend countless swap meets and rod runs over the years together from about the early 1980's (usually in his '37) until I started to find my own way. He was like a Father to me, teaching me about life, and of course, cars.

He purchased a '33 3 window in 1975, drove it home and started to work on it over roughly the next two years. In '77 he purchased the '37, placing the coupe on the back burner - indefinitely. The '37 hit the road in '81 or so, going through very minor changes until it's nearly "final" incarnation in '84;(the car remains basically unchanged to this day).

Fast forward to '97, and the purchase of the '50 Plymouth. The '37 is put into semi-retirement, the coupe is slowly getting buried by this point. 3 years later I move to North Carolina.

Now to what brings me here; sadly, John passed away in Feb. of this year. Some of you knew him from this very board (there is a faint H.A.M.B. sticker in the side window) ; others knew him personally. I am now the owner / caretaker of all his vehicles. When I got the '37 home, it was like getting my childhood back. I do drive it and the '50 fairly often.

So, what about the '33? Well, pictured below is how the car has been sitting since 1977. It is my mission to complete the journey he started some 40-odd years ago. I would much rather be building it WITH him, but now I get to do it with my own son, and "pass the torch" as it were.

George.
    IMG_0465.jpg IMG_0489.jpg IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0522.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Mechman_22

Mechman_22
    from Nc

WELCOME from NC as well looking forward to seeing how this comes together

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Welcome to the board. You're Uncle had great taste. Glad to see that he "passed the torch" on to you. Enjoy your HAMBtime............................Don.