Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Models at Goodguys events?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedyg948, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brewster55

brewster55

you guys dont realize it, but you are pushing away young guys, and without younger guys, when you miserable old bastards kick the bucket, there will be no one left to remember what a traditional car is.

i love old hot rods, always have. so do a lot of my friends, but at teenage wages and early 20s incomes we couldnt afford them

now that im almost 30, i can afford the cars of my dreams, 55 chevy hot rod, 53 chevy custom, etc.

up until now though, ive been messing with nissans. it was the cheapest thing i could afford that was rear wheel drive. it does have chevy v8 in it though. just like guys were stuffing v8s in little import cars back in the 60s. cobras are foreign cars. topolino is a foreign car.

i dont think you guys are wrong for wanting to keep tradition alive, but damn is goodguys really that traditional anyway?

let some new people in on sundays, let them get exposed, instead of bitching, go talk to them, share your stories share your love for cars, guide them away from building shitboxes.

give them the impression hey, this is something i want to be a part of, not a thought that hot rod guys are misserable old assholes.

2. yekoms

yekoms

Kirk!, We don't all hate you guys...
    Goodguys tried to get an event goin' here in Pennsylvania for years at Maple Grove, Carlisle,Hershey and Pocono. Maybe if the entry years were expanded back then the events would have been successful enough for them to stay in the area. I was a spectator at most of the above events and will miss them. I wish Goodguys all the best with their events.
    Smokey

3. outlaw256

outlaw256

already said here more than a hundred times ,its a buisness.for us to be able to enjoy that buisness they have to keep making money. if that is what it takes so be it. just put them in there own place.segragate them from the rest.alot of people on here dont like muscle cars mixed in either.but i really like looking at some of these. BIG engines, me like!!! i just keep walkin when there is one i dont care to look at.muscle cars are just hotrods from a different era.atleast a guy in his late 70s told me. made sense to me.i dont have a problem with any car up until 72. after that cars went to shit.to me anyway. there are a few that cut it but not many.the cost to put on separate shows for the different yrs is to damn high.so they do what they gotta do. just put the full fendered cars in one area and 47-48 to 64 in a different area and 65 to 72 in a different area. boom problem solved.

4. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I think I'll sit on this side of the discussion. It seems that every time GG makes a change , all they do is "water down" the event . The LA Roadster Show is attended every year by people from all over the world , ever wonder why ? Maybe the GG staff should pay attention to the LA roadster club .

5. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

They sure can. Your opinion just surprised me. No more no less.

6. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I'm not nearly offended by new cars as I am by R__Rod shit. In either case ;if I don't like it, I simply don't look.

7. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Yeah I remember when NSRA announced they were going to have just a "few" shows that allowed later models...look at it now. I said then that in less than 5 years they would all go that route.

Anyway I really don't care anymore. Just a lot of venting and time wasted by me cause it "ain't gonna change nothing" as long as a profit is shown. ITS THE BOTTOM LINE and nothing more.

I am going to focus more on small local one day shows and cruise-ins next Summer now that I'm back on the road. They are a lot smaller venues but like GG and NSRA, late models are there as well. I will still go to my big 3 if able and hopefully add the Redneck Rumble.

48 Poncho

8. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Maybe it's because the good burger joint's don't need to sell taco's.

P.S It's "quote".;)

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

That's a pretty darned good way to look at it. Nice to see someone with an open mind on here...:)

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't even know where to begin to answer since you guys are all over the place.

I love how any change Goodguys makes is because of greed. It's called business. Sundays only have about 30% the number of cars as Saturdays at events.

If Goodguys doesn't do anything to try to improve Sundays they suck because there's not enough to see. If Goodguys tries to make an improvement they're greedy.

You guys bitch no matter what in most cases so Goodguys has to do what will please the most people. Is there money as part of the goal? Damn right there is. That's what responsible businesses do, try to stay in business. That's not greed, it's smart business.

If you can't go to an event and ignore 100 cars that you don't like, that's fine, but like my article says, I'm a car guy and like cars of most eras, not a pretentious car snob. Goodguys is about family fun and trying to give attendees the most bang for the buck whether you decide to believe that or not.

Let the whining continue, and the KIRK bashing begin, but all I have done is state the truth. Whether you chose to listen/believe it has no relevance on it factualness.

No business can please everyone, but they have to try to please as many as possible.

P.S. Someone mentioned something that I see as the biggest plus to the new Super Sunday deal and that's getting the younger generation involved. If you have ever been to any of the Get-Togerthers in Pleasanton (Goodguys has 3 each year. They are open to ALL American made or powered cars just like Super Sunday) you know that this is exactly what happens. I have seen TONS of young guys show up for their first Goodguys event in a post-'72 car only to realize that the really cool stuff is older and save for and/or build their first hot rod.

Also, Goodguys biggest event business-wise of all of them is the All American Get-Together in March in Pleasanton.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Better check your stats before posting this...............not even close!!

Frank

12. 68ragtop

68ragtop
    from Texas

Yep guys and gals it's all about the almighty $$$$$.
    Saw this happen after the 70's when we used to show and they started bringing in the new stuff.I remember in the 71 show in Des Moines Ia the let a 1963 ford 500 in the door and the paint was just plain rotten. I would have never let it in the show, heck my 1965 Chrysler Newport 4dr tow car had better paint than the Ford.
    I just got back from the Pistons & Paint show in Denton Texas and I was really
    impressed with the whole event.
    I was taking pictures for HotRod hotline and they will be posted sometime late this week on their site 100+ pic's ...Enjoy them.
    68ragtop

13. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

When I bought my first car at 14 (1966), it was a 1941 Chevy. It was just a decent used car, old enough to have very little value (I paid $65 for it, most of what I had earned working part-time that summer for a beekeeper) but not old enough to start going back up in value. At that time, you could buy 55 Chevys all day for less than $100, and a Model T was just over 40 years old. Today, a 1972 car would be the same age, and a 2002 car would be the same age as a 1957 at that time.

14. I quit going to goodguys because I was tired of seeing nothing but boyd mobiles and cars that are built with credit cards and billet specialties products... the late model cars should fit right in...
    Im sticking to the low key car shows that focus on "trad rods"

15. KIRK!

KIRK!

So you quit going, ten years ago?

What I find interesting is that the people on here who bitch the most have either never been to a Goodguys event or stopped going 10+ years ago.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  16. KIRK!

KIRK!

I hate the mall because there is one store there that I don't like.

I don't shop at Target because they sell women's clothes, not just mens.

17. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I did a joke for SEMA this year in support of the GoodGuys events on the van. I get tired of people calling them gold chainer events......so I put my club plaque and engine access panels on with gold chain lol. I am just a custom car enthusiast, and I always have a blast.....look forward to more in 2012

[​IMG]

18. KIRK!

KIRK!

Gold chainer sell-out!!

19. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

ive never been to a goodguys event.....

20. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

you should be at noon mass on Sundays

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

OMG!!! They are just greedy assholes. You'll never believe this, but they are a business that tries to make money. It's disgusting.

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

You know what's better than internet hot rod whiners? Well, really anything, but especially these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. I tried going to a show three years ago only to be dissapointed...

24. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Goodguys is nothing but gold chainers and assholes? I attend Charlotte every year and do not fit in that catagory at all.

Someone got frowned upon in the 90s with an unfinished car? It was the 90s! Imperfect stuff was frowned upon everywhere! Guess we should thank the ratrod movement for sparking interest in old style unfinished cars being interesting.

New cars can't be customs???? I think you might be forgetting the 50s and 60s show cars you all worship and try to pay tribute to. I do believe Watson painted many brand new 50s cars that showed up in the hallowed little pages.

Hate the tuner crowd? They take old cheap junk and make it fast and personalized. The parents all ask "Why are you putting money in that piece of shit??" They ride around driving fast and making noise, all those hoodlums hanging out everywhere. If you stop and look, they make stupid power from those tiny engines.

Reminds me of those kids buying up old Ford Ts and As and hopping them up, spending all their money on an old POS, who we seem to idolize and try to recreate.

Hate musclecars? I bet some of you were all over them in the 60s and 70s when they were all NEW. I would have loved them back in the day, but I couldn't aford one.

Bet you hate minitrucks also. This is where many of us younger guys ( I'm 39) got started. Where did the air suspensions come from? Minitruckers. I learned the ropes on Datsuns and Toyotas. I messed up some things, then learned how to do them right. Glad I didn't screw up a classic. I always wanted a classic, but couldn't afford one or handle the down time it takes to build one. I needed something to drive and play with.

Goodguys Charlotte had the Suede and Chrome lot filled up. The Iron Lords were all there. They must be gold chainers. There were many more old school, traditional rides all over the field. Sunday did not ruin my goodguys experience. I spoke to several guys in new cars who wanted to know more about my old truck. Try to help them out and mentor them in the ways of the traditional hot rod, instead of reinforcing the idea that old hot rodders are assholes.

Yeah, Goodguys make money. That allows them to keep going. If you actually doo all of the Goodguys experience, it is well worth the money. There are poker runs, shop tours, Friday meet and greets, often with free food, Autocross, track runs, seminars with industry leaders, models for the kiddies, pedal cars and model competition, swap meet, vendors and more cars to look at than any cruise in. I would rather pay for all that than $20 for an afternoon parking lot show.

25. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

So did you actually go or just try? I can't wait to hit up the Washington show this year I've never taken the van to the northwest, and I always see some bitchin cars from there in the gazette

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep!

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I am sure NSRA will follow the lead of GoodGuys and let in newer cars. Eventually true Old Car guys will form another organization after being alienated from those two.

28. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

20 years seems like back in the day for me. lol

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

How is anyone being alienated by getting new people involved with cars?

30. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

It's impossible to expect a show series the size of GoodGuys to thrive with just traditional period correct HotRods.........you guys would find something to bitch about at that show also. That's what makes shows like the Revolution so bad ass having a small pre-approved group of cars is freakin awesome.
    You should just attend a GoodGuys show like Columbus and just walk around an watch people with there kids........that's what makes it bitchin. To see people who have no clue get a clue, and I have made more friends and actually got to hang around with more HAMB members at GoodGuys shows than anywhere else. Hell I met Denise in Columbus for the first time...... Oh wait maybe that's why she is anti GoodGuys lol.

....... But hey what do I know I am just a guy with a van and a camera who loves cars.

Try to do more for what you live today instead of just bitchin on the computer..... It will make the world a better place

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.