Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late Model Won't Start - Help OT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Oct 10, 2003.

1. My '89 4.3 S-15 GMC Jimy is dead.

Went to start it the other day and the starter solenoid kinda clicked once and then nothing happened. Since then, it won't make a noise at all. It has a good battery on it and I've checked all the fuses but the whole electrical system seems to be dead.

No lights, no radio, no nothing. Dead. Dead. Dead.

Any ideas? I need to get it running so I can sell it and spend the $$ on my RPU.

TIA, JH

2. crclebrner

crclebrner

You have either an open fusable link or dirty battery terminals. I would clean the battery connections first and if that don't help, I would then crawl underneith and check the fusable links attached to the starter. Have fun.

3. DrJ

DrJ

I was replacing the solenoid on mine ('88 Astro 4.3) because it was doing the click-start thing and figured while I had it out I'd check the brushes....One of them was worn down to just the wire!
    and that was only at 70,000 miles.
    Check those and the fuseable link....

4. The starter was new from NAPA in April. Still could be bad though.

Where is this fusable link?

Thanks, Jim

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

FIRST! Clean your ground. This EXACT same thing happened to me. My 94 GMC wouldnt start good so we put a new starter on it, new distributor, and new battery. So i went to blockbuster one night got a movie, tried to start it........click click click............nothin. Called dad, tried to jump it, nothin. So we had it toed back to the house. We checked all the fuses, all good. The soleniod was only gettin 1.3 volts on one wire so we bypassed that wire and still......nothing. So after checking every possible thing that could be wrong except the ground. So my disgruntled dad told me to get some sand paper and he would clean the ground for the heck of it. So he cleaned it with the sand papter and told me to start it to see what would happen..........BINGO! It starts.

6. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    You have either an open fusable link or dirty battery terminals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check the battery terminals first. Wire brush them thoroughly, and then report back. There's a good chance that you'll find the problem there. If not, then you can worry about fusable links.