Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late model GM 3.8L blowers ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobbytnm, Feb 7, 2009.

1. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Gentlemen,

Does anyone have any info on the late model GM 3.8L blowers, They were used on the Pontiac Bonnevilles and Buick Park Avenues and possible some other models.

Are these easily adaptable to anything else? Are they worth messing with? Pros/cons, etc

I see them in the wrecking yard from time to time for a reasonable price, I was just wondering if they could be make to work.

I tired a couple of different searches on here but I didn't see anything on the subject. Of course I've been known to suffer from rectal-cranial inversion, so if I missed I apologize

Thanks all
    Bobby

2. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

We are going to run one on my Rambler..a Eaton M62..They are pretty plentiful..I picked up a nice one for 100.00 on fleabay. As far as performance I will have to wait and see just how it does but I expect some kick out of it..I think they only go up to about 10 lbs. max but not 100% on that..I am leaving mine with the stock pulley and I will go from there..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

What information would you like? I had a little involvement with the S.C. Series III 3800 when I worked for G.M.

It's a slick little unit, made by EATON, screw type impeller.

Intake is from the rear, and discharge is on the bottom. Sealed bearings and an expected 100,000 mile service life.

It went thru about 4 variations that I'm aware of, but the case and rotors are all the same.

It's also the same unit that Ford used on their own S.C. T-bird.

There's no reason in the world you couldn't hack metal and make one work on any engine you wanted... Quite a few rodders have already done it, but you would be on your own because there's no aftermarket support I'm aware of.

4. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bobby,
    I'm using one (also attached to the 3800 V6 it came on!) in my new project. The rear intake will be your biggest problem - still working on ideas for mine. There are a few web sites that cater to hopped up 3800 Pontiacs that have some parts like pulleys and ported mainfolds. They also have electronics and other hop up parts, but I doubt any of it would apply to your engine choices. In the long run, it might be cheaper to use something like a Magnusun kit or get a takeout OEM motor that was factory equipped with a blower and electronics. Have fun, Gary

5. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Thanks for the responses and the info.

I am sking the question for a buddy, I'm not sure what he is trying to fit it to, I'll find that info out today when we at the wrecking yard.

Pir8Darryl, You had a hand in the 3.8 huh? Very cool! Its a great little engine (with or without the blower) I worked as a driveability tech on GM products for alot of years (its amazing what kind of weird driveability issue you get at altitude that don't show up at sea level)

Thanks again for everything
    Bobby

6. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

i bought 2 m90 eatons that i am going to attempt on a v8. going to try to build a manifold to use 2 blowers at once - kind of an a frame design if you get the idea.

7. The 3.8 superchargers?

You might want to dig around on www.clubgp.com and see what you find. That is the big website for the 3.8 GM cars. I've had friends who done pulley swap and other changes and who've run easy mid to high 12's.

8. I've always wondered about these. I can pick one of these up cheap gotta see if its woth it.

9. fast Ed

fast Ed

Just to add, the earlier GM version (not sure of the year split) used the smaller M62, the later ones (I'm going to say 97-on) were the M90. The Ford was also the M90, it was mounted in an inverted fashion, blowing up and out to an intercooler.

Pretty reliable units, but don't expect to make huge peak HP numbers with them, they are mostly about the low-end torque. Overdriving them excessively just makes heat. I had a T-Bird Super Coupe with some bolt-ons, 345 lb./ft. of torque at the wheels at 2,700 rpm, not bad for 230 CID.

cheers
    Ed N.

10. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd just like to point out that 3800 cc's = 231 cubic inches - about the same as a 235 Chevy inline 6. just food for thought

11. bobwop

bobwop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

find one of the early 231 Buick V-6's. I would guess it might bolt on? I had one that was VERY radical, but NA with a BIG 4bbl. It was all Kenne Bell mods from the mid-80's. That little motor would spin to over 9k and made my Vega just scream! I can't imagine how much fun it would have been with 15psi boost

12. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

They're everywhere and readily adaptable. I've seen them on a number of non-hamb friendly engines as conversions. May not turn up in a hamb search but I bet you could find some garage built custom setups with a google search.

13. kustomizingkid

kustomizingkid

I've pulled a few from the lock pickapart for $35 each... it's a bargin if you can make it work.

14. twofosho

twofosho

Look up www.toohighpsi.com

Click on the the history tab, scroll down to 4/6/2002 and click on SCTC.

Anyone wanting to adapt one of these things should find what this guy did back in 2002 both eye opening and inspiring.

15. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Great blowers BUT they are not made for fuel to go THROUGH them, they are used with air only going through them, can't imagine a long life with
    fuel flowing through them. I would bet the bearing setup would have to be changed. I would also be willing to bet that someone has used a complete
    3.8 in some type of lightweight street/hotrod and it would seem to be a great performer after dragging a full size GM around.

16. budd

budd

a friend used one of the ford ones, and he fliped it over so it blew out the bottom as well, he says its really easy, i did see one one time on ebay that had a really long front end on it that looked like it would work great on an inline 6.

17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Why couldn't they be used as a blow thru, like a McCullough or Paxton? It'd be dry, and then the rear exit would be a good thing, just duct it into a sealed carb box?

18. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Any other guys running a carb set up with the M62? Please post pics and details..

19. panic

panic

20. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

here are some pics of one on a mopar 225 slant 6, i think in an early 60's dart. it was for sale somewhere on the internet a while back.

Attached Files:

21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Great...with my OCD I'll end up with 30 of them laying around here...lol