Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late model axles in a banjo rear end

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CB_Chief, Sep 27, 2007.

1. I seem to remember seeing an early Ford rear end in an article recently that had been converted to later Ford style axles. Am I dreaming or does anyone else remember seeing anything on this?

2. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Hot Rod Works.

3. I may have seen one here. Do a search.

For sure I saw one in an old Hot Rod or Rod and Custom (from the 70s or 80s) street rod/hot rod -type annual book.

If no one else chimes in I'll see if I can dig up an old issue. If I forget, PM me.

4. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Like 392 Hemi said call Hot Rod Works. They know their stuff and they're HAMBers and good humans. 208 463 1068 Wayno

5. skratch

skratch

cooks machine .la ,ca

323 268 6571

6. I did my own. 28 spline axles and bearings, early V8 ring and pinion.
    Seems like I posted all the info last year or so. Based on an old R&C Quarterly article. If it doesn't pop up on a search, pm me. Bill

7. budd

budd

i'd like the info to do my own as well, i have an old dragster and need to narrow my bango and i'm thinking that going to modern axles will be the best way to go.

8. budd

budd

9. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Is it that the axles are weak in these? I love the way a V8 quick change looks, but I figured it would POP behind a 440 4 speed with slicks.

10. 392_hemi

392_hemi

The method shown in the article requires cutting the alxe housing and welding on 9" style ends. The HRW conversion does not require 9" ends, so you can use '40 Ford style brakes. It also looks more traditional.

11. ironhunter

ironhunter

I'd like to see what they've got, but I can't find them listed in the HAMB vendors.

Well, DUH! It's http://www.hotrodworks.com/
    typed it in and it didnt work, bt a Google search got it

12. Thanks for the responses. I am working on a really tight budget and plan on using the stock housing at least for now. I have been given a '48 Ford car rear end complete minus the drums and I have all the runnign gear from a 53 F100 laying beside the shop. What I would like to do is convert the '48 rear end to use axles similar to the 'F100 axles so that I can use the brake hardware off the F100.

I have a '40 front axle and plan on using F100 brakes on it. So far I have a '27 Ford Coupe, 8BA flathead, the axles assemblies above, and quite a few other necessary pieces including the entire steering/running gear from the F100. My goal is to build the coupe with the profit from selling my MG TD (about $4K+-). So far I have spent about $250 getting to this point.

Is it possible to convert the '48 axle for a reasonable sum or would I be better off looking for drums and using it as it is now? If so how much work am I talking about?

Thanks again for the help.

13. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Converting the '48 is not going to be inexpensive since you'll probably have to at least have the axles cut and resplined, and if you're not set up to do the machine work and welding, that'll cost you also. I would skip the conversion and either find early Ford rear brakes to use on the '48 rear, or sell it and find a decent 9" for your project.