Register now to get rid of these ads!

late 80's small block Furd's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gettingreasy, Nov 18, 2003.

1. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

What motor would be in a 87ish Mercury grand marquise, I think it's a 302 but I heard it may be a 351? At any rate I'm yanking it(it's free)and the tranny which is an AOD I think. I was wondering what kinda power these produce, it's fuel injected(TBI style)and was wondering if I'll have any problems with putting an older intake and dizzy on it(or should I keep the elec. dist.). This will be my first small Furd so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about'em, and hopefully will be going in a 64 ranchero(maybe). I really need any info about the late SBF's and trannie's, so I appretiate any help.
    -Jesse

2. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

It should be a 302, autozone.com only lists a 302 for 87 Grand Marquis. I wouldn't bet on it having any more than 170 HP, tops in stock form.

3. spudshaft

spudshaft

Unless it's some kind of police vehicle, it will be a 302. No problem going back to a carb.

4. fordiac

fordiac
    from Medina, Oh

yeah, that should be a 302/AOD combo. I pulled one out of one of those a few years ago. police versions had the 351, but i doubt this is what youre looking at. the fuel injection isnt TBI though, its a multiport type. (looks like the mustang version, but the upper intake is opposite.)
    the injectors are down by the heads, not upstream like chevys TBI.

there are no problems switching this engine to a carb intake and old style dizzy. the new dizzy with the extra wires wont work without the computer i dont think.

you should have a roller lifter engine. thats good.

5. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Actually it does have a TBI injection system, looks like a chevy unit. I thought it had roller rockers, not roller lifters, very cool. I was actually thinking anywere from 150-180 HP, but with a couple of bolt ons I might brake 200. I'm planning on some shorty headers, Edelbrake intake and a 625 Carter, maybe with a msd Dist.
    -Jesse

6. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Underneath all the late model smog and electronics, it's a regular old 302. Lots of intakes and cool dress-up/performance parts available for it, too.

They can be built to look very trad with 60s speed equipment from the heyday of the 289 Ford!

7. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

I'm gonna run "Powered by ford" vale covers, the nice rounded off ones that came on 260's and 289's, and every thing will be painted GM blue(it looks better than ford's). How are thses AOD's, they relativly strong or what, are they a lock up converter or just a 4 speed auto that has an OD ratio in 4th?
    -Jesse

8. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

I just looked at it again, the TBI unit appears to be a 2 bbl on with the same bolt pattern as the Motorcraft/Holley 2 bbl Ford carbs. The dizzy has nothing in it, just a rotor and I can't find wires going to it, what the fuck?
    -Jesse

9. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

All you (we if I'm there) are going to need is a couple of sockets and a pair of snippers. Or are you thinking about selling off the TBI stuff?

10. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ford did use a really bad TBI injection set-up on some of their 80s small blocks, and a weird "variable venturi" carburetor before that. You likely have the boat-anchor TBI set-up there. Might as well leave it behind in the junkyard when you yank the motor!

11. jonizzle

jonizzle

i looked at my book and it lists the 302 at having 150/155 bhp. that is at the flywheel i believe, and i think with engine warm and accessories running. not sure though. but when you yank that emissions crap off, which i am not sure how legal it is that engine will really wake up. along with a good intake and a 4V carb.

The AOD is nice but i think your shift pattern is PRND2L. which means no overdrive switch to turn it on or off. i may be wrong on this. but i recall reading that the 91 and newer i think are the EAOD with the electric switch for the OD. i may be wrong but this is what i recall.

As for paint i think there are three ford blues. a dark blue for early ford OHV V8s, a medium blue for the 60s era smallblocks and a light blue for later small blocks i think. but the medium FORD blue is really nice i think. thats what i painted my 289. wish i had the # for the paint but it was made by duplicolor. geez i am not sure about anything but i guess i am just opening myself for error.

12. burger

burger

The shifter on my '84 F-150 (with AOD) goes PRNOD21. You CAN lockout the overdrive.

Ed

13. gettingreasy

gettingreasy

Ya I'm gonna ditch the TBI, I'd rather fuck with a carb than mess with the computer shit. I want to keep it real simple, no a/c or power steering, just an alternator(probably a GM 1 wire).
    -Jesse

14. jonizzle

jonizzle

i remember riding in my friends 89 mustang 5.0 AOD and his order was PRNOD2L. so you couldn't put it in 3rd and keep it there. and he couldn't lock out the OD without keeping it in 2nd gear. maybe there was a switch to lock it out and i never saw it, but i doubt it.

but on the 91s or so maybe even newer than that the shifter went PRNoD32L so you could keep it in 3rd and thus locking out the OD. thats all.

15. Michigan Rick

Michigan Rick
    from Owosso Mi.

Just go for it GG....... tired of everyone thinking a Chev 350 is the only motor made.