Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60's Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Anderegg!

Still might not be out of the woods just yet, can't seem to be able to find any brake parts for them yet, they seem like early ford style, but Bendix style parts the only ones that show up on the internet..

Thanks for the comments and the insight! Don't think a hand clutch would work too good in this set-up, but it's actually not too crowded having the clutch in the left hand side of the transmission, and the brake/gas on the other. Still have to made up a real gas pedal setup.. Made one real quick, but want to re-do it.

Thinking of actually using a door hinge from a house. Guys have told me they were pretty popular for gas pedals, and there was an old one welded to the floor when I took my car apart, be kinda cool to put one back in it. The biggest parts I have to deal with inside if the transmission tunnel... Not sure how that's going to go. Should probably make (most) of it removeable, although I saw one fairly famous rod somewhere that had the transmission completely visible on the interior... Not sure how they close in around it though.

I've thought about using a fuel cell... We've got a couple hanging around. Probably the easiest (and safest) way to go, but not sure I want to see that big cap sticking out, rather have a VW one, be more conversational I guess. I think the early VW tanks are 10-11 gallons, which would be pretty good for this rig, certainly no cross-country adventures happening in this!

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Also found 4 aluminum Wide 5's drums in our parts stash today... Not sure which style brakes they would fit... Have to measure I guess. Dunno if I wanna switch over to them or not, I guess after they're painted black you really wouldn't notice them anyways though, and it would eliminate the wheel adapters.

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3885C8819C770526B4FC38&view=detail&FORM=VIRE5 Steering wheel rebuild videos It's a 2 part rebuild part 1 refinish part 2 , looks simple enough , using epoxy putty. I heard tell of a boat builders trick of wrapping the wheel with nylon cord,I'm going to look for info on that. The old racers used friction tape.Story is have to wrap it the right direction for left-handed circle racing. If it's done wrong it will get you hands bleeding,or blisters at the least. Bill aka Tnomoldw picture below is a rebuilt and painted wheel. I am assuming using epoxy paint. :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

5. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

6. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

8. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Gas Pedal creation ?Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

9. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hi Bill, thanks for all the suggestions! For the moment I'm going to cut off the old steering wheel, and mount a "quick release" hub set-up. I've got a nice looking steering wheel that looks period correct, and it's dished, so it'll offset it towards the driver more (which is good for where I'm sitting). The steering wheel on it now was ID'ed as a 35-36 Ford. I would have had to cut it off anyways to re-do it, so this was I can save it for a "rainy day" and have something functional in the mean time.

Been trying to think of a way to mount that early for steering wheel onto the usual 3 bolt steering hubs, so I could use it with the quick release. Might end up re-doing that steering wheel, or find another decent original one. Almost want to hang it on the shop wall as a conversation piece...

10. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I watched NASCAR driver Kevan Harvick Saturday put his 6 month old son in the driver's seat and pop the steering wheel on.The little boy look right at home as he sawed the wheel back and forth,Kevin then went out and won a Shoot-Out qualifying race.It seems to me rebuilding that old wheel would be a nice fast moving fun project for a rainy day latter.I also like the cord wrap ,then a coat of urathane could be added. The snap-on wheel will be cool. Though it sounds like you will need some machine/lathe work to complete it. Bill aka Tnomoldw :eek:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  11. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Hi! Shaun, my travels today I found some pics resembling your car. I also did some art projecting your attempt at making the car street/road legal. Like keep it simple. I think with a bit of simple planning you make a nice headlite setup not using high-dollar hotrod headlites, and have a super look.A trip to the local junk yard you could find some headlight buckets , say 1958 Chevy or Ford quad headlites . Parking lites and turn signal should be simple enough. I also thought a trip to an old motorcycle shop may be a good place to check for old headlit buckets. Just need to think outside the box .;)

Attached Files:

12. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Next! The Hamb program couldn't handle it, :( Here we go !:D

Attached Files:

13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hi Bill, funny you post that picture of the number 13 race car... That's actually the guy that used to own my car. He never drove it, but he bought it about 30 or years ago I believe and it just sat outside by his shop.

Looks like you had some fun doing some creative designs! I actually just bought a set of these lights last night off of here (original ones- not repro). Still had to pay for 'em, but I've always like this style headlight, looks real "clean" to me

Attached Files:

14. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)I believe I have seen that lite in a build done on a 32 Ford coupe that was kept at an Air Airforce Base. The story is when a test pilot made a record flight they got used of the car hence there is a picture some where of Chuck Yeager standing next to it. So much info of intrest on the net, I can't keep it all. Anyway some musican bought the car and had it restored at a super shop.
    Yes it was fun doing the art.I'm not very handy at doing the picture and I do nt have the real Photoshop program ,it about $100 , I have a freebe program called GIMP2,but I use mostly an old issue of MS Paint and PhotoPad Image Editor..
    Hey ! There is a big car show in Buffalo next month. Couple hundred cars lots of compition car, Their guest is the guy guy from the TV show Chop-Cut and Rebuild. 180 cars plus traders booths and concessions.Are You going?:D

15. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Haha nah that's a little out of my range... Don't like to go to far from home. Hard to believe there's a car show next month, winter seems to just be starting with all the new snow

16. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)The Detroit Autorama is March 15-17 Buffalo is the week after . I found your build on another site, and your pictures are scattered all over another. Bill aka Tnomoldw:D

17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Oh yeah? I know I've got it on the 67-72 Chevy truck forum, but don't remember it being anywheres else...

18. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

So I ended up getting my quick release steering wheel hub in the mail today, so decided to weld that on and see how things look. The steering wheel was just one that was on the shelf, and I didn't really like the looks of it at first, but it's sorta growing on me now...

[​IMG]

I also started to hack up the old transmission cover I had.... Still needs alot of work, but I think it may look alright when it's done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)your car has open shaft so would't look cool like this but take a look . maybe a different project . :D Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

20. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Hi Shaun ! Steering wheel looks familure?? Couple nice cars Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

21. Bill! That red roadster is really nice!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^

22. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Thanks for the comment Mike. I'm hoping not to hijack this thread while trying to encourage Shaun and to keep him from being bored with his project. The red roadster ''The Ingalls Spl.'' is in the museum building (brick wall) in the pictures with tons of other cars and a staff of nice people so the article read.
    quote:Shaun ''Thinking of actually using a door hinge from a house. Guys have told me they were pretty popular for gas pedals, and there was an old one welded to the floor when I took my car apart, be kinda cool to put one back in it. The biggest parts I have to deal with inside if the transmission tunnel... Not sure how that's going to go. Should probably make (most) of it removeable, although I saw one fairly famous rod somewhere that had the transmission completely visible on the interior... Not sure how they close in around it though.'' Shaun look for a shed/barn door type hinge, I will post a picture of an example.They are called ''STRAP HINGES'' Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  23. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Here is a pic of ''see the trany''. Crazy but cool heh ? Bill aka Tnomoldw :D

Attached Files:

24. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

quote from Ryan hamb /Some top secret shit is going down at Coker Research & Development. For the <NOBR>love</NOBR> of god, don&#8217;t tell anyone&#8230; BUT, they are interested in developing an 11.00-16 Firestone Dirt Tracker. To do so, however, they need an original NOS <NOBR>tire</NOBR> to study. We&#8217;ve search high and wide and have come up blank and beaten. So, this is a call for help of sorts&#8230; Anyone have a NOS 11.00-16 dirt tracker they could loan Coker <NOBR>for a</NOBR> bit? I&#8217;m sure they would make it worth your while and hell, if they don&#8217;t &#8211; I will!
    What's the deal Shaun. Are they that rare???? Bill aka Tnomoldw

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Finally just decided to bite the bullet and bull into the trans cover today...

There was too much open space around the transmission/bellhousing (my own mistake for not fixing that before I painted it!), so I started off by adding some around there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I bent a piece of plate for the hoop, and cut out a piece to close it in..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It kinda looks goofy and big, but that was actually on purpose... There wasn't an easy way to seal the firewall cutout to the rest of the chassis. So by making this cover big it'll hopefully be a little bigger then the firewall opening and help to keep some of the hot air from the engine out.

Need to do some more fitting/cutting/welding, but this part is pretty well done. Just have to make a simple sheet metal cover for the actual transmission itself and I should be all set on this part of the project..

26. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Bill, strap hinges are exactly what I mean... Will look original and definately get some comments! I think I'll have to weld a little peice on the side so that the hinge can't flip back over if you took your foot off of the gas... That probably wouldn't be good!

Not sure on those dirt tires... I saw that post too. Maybe it was an uncommon size? I know alot of the race wheels/tires around here were all 15"

27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Shaun the car is coming out awesome, great choice on the steering wheel, I will get a few pics posted of some things u might be interested in over the next few days. Until then, keep up the great work!!!!!

28. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:):)Looks good over the flywheel bell housing ,:cool: I sugest you use nutserts on panels you want for easy removal. The toe boards and floor ,back to the seat and from door to door in Fords were not solid floor till 1949. My 41 ,I went to parts yard and got the full one piece bolt-in floor section it had 2 holes = brake & clutch and a 3 inch rubber pluged hole for Master cyl brake fluid service and the dimmer switch fastened to it. It had the accellerator fastened to it, 2 bolts held a hinge with a rubber covered pedal. The big update is, it was from a 1948 ford. The complete section was of good gage sheet alluminum .:D

29. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Here ya go Shaun, if your upholstery guy is worth his salt (and it looks as if he is) he should be able to knock these right out. If u want the head rest, just a couple of 1/8" x 1" straps behind it with the female snaps riveted in place.....of course you would want to leave "LOUIE" off the center pad, that was there for me on the occasion I got my bell rung....lol.

Have at it!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

That is cool go for it Shaun Bill aka Tnomoldw