Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60's Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jun 12, 2012.

1. AntiBling

AntiBling

I'm not gonna lie, I had a great interest in this, right up until the point the SBC went in there, and I'm not that big of a flathead guy even. Hopefully a flathead makes it back in there someday. The SBC just seems wrong here.

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

While I respect your opinion- I really don't see it happening any time soon..

A flathead looks cool, but really isn't all the practical in this car with 4.86 gears and a 3 speed- either I have to go 40MPH everywhere, or it'll boil the water right out of it. On top of that, I'd either need to rebuild my 8BA or find another- when I already have a 283 that puts out twice the power...

There's a reason guys have been pulling flatheads for SBC's since '55...

3. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Well, they'll call you a hero or a traitor
    But you'll find out that, sooner or later,
    Nobody in this world is gonna do it for you
    Do what you gotta do

4. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I've been going through my old stuff, and decided to scan copies of the "Claremont Daily Eagle" that printed all of the race results from the Claremont Speedways. These are the ones that had #210 in the top finishers.

First is 1969, the others are 1970:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These scans are the only way that I tracked down the original builder of the car.

Have to give a big thanks to Arnold Stetson, my neighbor (and a former racer at Claremont), who took the time to go to our state library and make copies of the newspapers from the archives. He's been a big help for sure!

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Too cool Shaun!! Having stuff like that is truly priceless.

6. That is pretty awesome stuff for sure!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. I love those old results...I drove mini-stocks and hobby stock cars for years....I drove similar to the way your guy did...my goal was to bring it home in one piece...I hated wrecking it...I was happy just being on the track and running in circles...

So did your car get any big wins in it's career on the track??

MikeC

8. I have a good buddy who just won the Imca Sport Mod California championship, I told him years ago when you finish the race top 5 and can drive her on the trailer it's been a good night. You can't win always. He just enjoys being out there mainly too.

9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Super what ya did with the race car#210 :D:cool:,I also raced 40+ years n won a lot, but always had a lot of repect for those that raced with me,that didn't win much,they are just as importen ,with out them there would be no field of cars to race with.

10. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks guys- glad I posted it now!

I think these highlighted ones are the only top 10 finishes- although it reportedly ran at a few other tracks, but I have no way of looking up any info on that. While top 10 doesn't sound too impressive, Claremont Speedway had quite a bit of competition back in the day- I bet there was at least 30 in the Class B division.

Not sure if I mentioned it here or not, but the guy who built it said he used to have a picture of him standing next to the car, receiving a check for $2.00- his winnings for the season!

That's what it's all about! Although my Dad and Uncle are good friends with a guy who raced back in the vintage- and he pretty much counted on bringing home a big check every week!

Thanks! It's true- just like any sport, it takes all kinds to make it work.

I think it's mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'm still amazed by it. The year before my car started running, there was a different #210. He was part of a group called the "Sidewinders", who's numbers ranged from 205-211. Believe it or not, #210 was built and driven by a guy in the same town as my #210, a few miles apart. Almost the same car: a '33 (or maybe '34) Ford coupe, but a 3 window instead. Amazingly, the two drivers never knew each other!

When I asked Martell how he came up with the #210, he replied "It's the boiling point for water!"

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

12. gpohl6

gpohl6

Great project Shaun. I am over here in Maine and gathering parts to try a '40 chevy coupe modified for the street (cannot afford the luxury of a dedicated race car that might get used 8-10 times a year...but love the look). I saw a few months ago I picture of the car with some wide race tires next to it. Did you elect to go "street" and no go with wide wheels and tires? Also, do you know of any "spare parts" such as straight front axles with wide 5's that might be available. NH is easily accessible to me so I am chasing leads there. Great project and very fast progress. I am jealous!

13. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The guy that built Monadnock Speedway William Brown lives here in Florida and has many great old stories from the Richie Evans days.

Jimbo

[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the compliments. Parts are getting harder to find these days.. Unfortunately, I can't help you much in that regards. Best advice is to hit the swap meets (been to Amherst NH swap? They've been having some vintage race stuff lately), and get to know the local race guys- I'm sure there's a few in your area. Have you looked into Wicked Good racing at all? I think they put on quite a few vintage events in Maine, and I'm sure those guys have some parts. Also, you might just post an ad on Craigslist... I've actually had pretty good luck with that lately.

As for the wide tires, for the moment I'm not going to use them. They're DOT approved, street legal tires, but I don't want to shell out the cash for rims, tubes, etc. That may change in the future though, or at least the front tires... They're a little taller then I would like. I'd also like to go to a 3 carb set-up on my 283. A user on another forum though that would look better on there, and I think he's right...

Anyways, I wish you luck with your project... I looked forward to seeing pictures of your project here on the HAMB- there certainly aren't many other projects like it!

Attached Files:

15. Hoosier G60 imca modified tires are Dot legal I believe and easy to come buy used with plenty of tread left to run on the street. I plan on using those when the time comes.

16. This was the coolest thing I saw at GNRS 2014 yesterday. Figured I would share with you who follow this thread.

uploadfromtaptalk1390875111710.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1390875135540.jpg

Attached Files:

cactus1 likes this.
  17. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Wow, that thing is awsome! That's some serious talent there....

I'm planning on building a model of my #210 car soon... I bought a model kit for a '34 Ford 5 window, so I'll just have to buy the other non-stock things (want to keep the model 3x2 8BA, 3/4 ton truck rear-end, etc... I really want to make it as accurate as possible.

Here's a model that another local guy built for the original builder's daughter. Came out pretty good!

Attached Files:

18. 542door

542door
    from indiana

is it still for sale?

19. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

...... Is what for sale?

20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Got a couple pictures the other day of my old 210 before I found it... These are from 1997. Kind of cool to see another picture of it from a few years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I believe the builder of that 1/8 stock car is a HAMBer. Search for the 1/8 scale model thread. Gary

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Just a teaser for now....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

This was the closest thread I could find to post this picture of my Father in law.
    Not sure on the year but would have been at Capital Speedway in Holt Summit Mo. 20160903_100356.jpg

24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Sorry about the double post. Photo from the Wisconsin area in late 50's / early 60's. The question is, is it really a Buick body, too? You don't see many modifieds that retain their hood sides and have spanking new looking white walls. First race of the season? Pix from the VMSC newsletter. Gary

[​IMG]

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Awsome photos guys! Feel free to post more, love to see em

26. I really enjoyed going through this thread! I'm not sure how I've missed it all this time? Well done sir! I recently drug home an old 3W racer myself so this really gets the juices flowing!

27. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the kind words - these old racers all tell a unique story. What are your plans for the 3W? Love to see it!

28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

patmanta likes this.
  29. I have started a thread here that has been very informative for me! I plan to just put it back together with a flathead and run it around the gravel roads around my farm. Hopefully I can take it to some events in the future and actually "race" it around a track!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ion-34-3w-race-car-from-templeton-pa.1043256/

Shaun1162 likes this.