Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60's Vintage Modified

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaun1162, Jun 12, 2012.

1. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

That's what they woulda done back in the day. By the late 50s early 60s if the fatty was giving them problems they'd put in a283. Just be sure to use an old school intake and maybe 3 deuces ?

2. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

I thought about a 3 deuce intake, especially since you can get them to take the Holley 94's I've already got... But then I would have to rebuild those carbs, and I think at the time that track it ran at only allowed a single 2 barrel carb.. So I'm using an early 283 intake (I think it's from a '58 or '59) and using an adapter to go out to a Holley 500 2 barrel. Should be able to make it all work and still have my throttle linkage on the passenger side...

I also went through the original parts that I took off/found with the car.. I found 3 valve cover hold downs that I found on the floor of the car, hopefully I can find some more hiding (pretty sure there were more when I first found them..). I think it will be kinda neat to put those back on the engine

3. Subscribed. :D

I moved from a 235 straight 6 in my 55 Chevy to a 454 because the 235 didn't have the balls to get out of its own way. You have to do what you have to do for a pleasant driving experience. Only you know what that is. Just my two cents...

4. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Nothing too impressive to show off on the old stock car... Lots of little projects going on for 283, but still haven't got it running and driving yet!

But I've changed the intake to an older style 2BBL, got my adapter, and have mounted the Holley 500 on... Got all the linkages hooked up and all seems good there. Also cut up an old set of SBC headers I got from a junkyard and made up my own using the flange and various cut-up peices:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The main things left to do are:

- Reroute fuel line
    - Fabricate some alternator mounts
    - Make my radiator hoses
    - Convert distributor to Pertronix (ya, not needed... But I like Pertronix)

And some other smaller things... Hopefully have it back on the road within a couple weeks!

But then this arrived today.... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

But I've fought the urge to dig into this little project and have covered it with about 10 layers of covers to help deter myself from getting side tracked from the coupe :)

5. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Kid....ya got style and class!!!!

Bragged on ya today, hope you dont mind.

6. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Louie, and nope don't mind at all :rolleyes:

7. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Kool Shawn , looking forward to your next build . I enjoyed following the coup build, and adding my 2 cents occasionally . I was also hoping you would add a summery of the history to the finish of the coup. Thanks for sharing.:D

8. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

It's alive (again)!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not quite as pretty as the flatty with trips, but I seem to forget all about that when driving it! That 283 sure scoots the car along great- now I understand why guys were yanking their flatheads for SBC's as soon as they came out!

[​IMG]

Open headers really wasn't an option on the road (although I did have to do one short test drive for the heck of it!), so I bought these short 3" sections from Summit. I took a section of 1 and 3/4" exhaust tubing, marked out holes all around it, then took an air chisel with a pointed bit to it. Then I drilled out the little "divets" made by the air chisel and welded them into the 3" sections.... These homemade baffles actually work pretty well! I think it's even quieter then my flathead was- and that had stock manifolds, mufflers, and exited alot further back!

[​IMG]

Also had to make my own bracket to run my mini alternator... Works pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. Awesome build =)

10. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Bitchin!! But we need to find you an old T-Bird or Vette air cleaner!

11. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks!

I've always kinda liked double snorkel air cleaner...

Attached Files:

12. a true hot rod, you used what you had laying around, yes I am partial to chevys, but cool build regardless!

13. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks! I bought most of the parts a few months ago, so I don't remember all of what I paid... But I think all-in-all I've got about $600 into the swap... Don't think I could have gotten the flathead 100% for that, and at least I cleared a little bit of stuff out of the shop in the process!

14. patman

patman

You need one of these:

[​IMG]

15. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I got to see this car up close over the weekend and it is AWESOME!

16. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Pat! Hope that frame works out for you... Your T looks like it's gunna be cool too!

17. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

18. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Nahh not this year- gotta give things a break for a little while...

19. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)No problem as long as your having fun. :cool::D

20. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Well, aside from a couple small thing, pretty much "done" for the year...

Attached Files:

21. patman

patman

Impressive progress from where you were last year at this time:

[​IMG]

22. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Hahaha, yes, quite a change since then!

Strangely enough, those are some of my favorite picture of my car... Not sure why- maybe because it looks so "clean", or maybe the wide rear tires...

23. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Haha looks like a good one! Doesn't look all that bad for the price, alot of the parts are there... Heck look what I started with :D

24. Just saw this thread had been updated. I owned the sister car to the Stub Fadden racecar that Walt Locke has. We raced it on the asphalt track in Canaan for a few years as a Pro-Stock and it's still around to this day. Peter Colby who works at Tilton Auto Serve has it but it hasn't been raced in a few years. Your car came out awsome ! Well done.

25. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks for the kind words! I actually ended up going to see Dave Richardson since your post, pretty neat guy and bought a few things from him... I drove my coupe over to one of the last cruise nights over in Bristol, and Dave got to see it over there- he approved of it!

26. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

This Saturday there's going to be a reunion at the Claremont Speedway where my 210 coupe used to run. Planning to drive it over there and display it with the other vintage cars that used to be at that track. The original builder and his family are probably going to be there, so maybe I'll have some pictures to share this weekend!

Oh, and started a build thread on my next project :)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=836608

27. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Thats awesome Shaun, what an amazing opportunity!!!

28. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thought I'd share this picture with you guys... The original builder of the car lives only a few miles away from the race track where this car ran (and where they had the reunion last Saturday). So before the reunion started I drove it over to his place to give him a look at it... I think he approved of it!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  29. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)That is so cool,:cool::cool: Shaun . I have been waiting for you to update your avatar. Good luck on your new project/build. Thanks for sharing......:D

30. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Thanks Bill!