Register now to get rid of these ads!

Late 50's cutsoms: Floor Shift or Column shift?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2Hep, Jun 13, 2010.

1. 2Hep

2Hep

Being that I wasn't alive during the time period to take note...What would have been more common in the late 50's early 60's for shifting? Newer aftermarket kits for floor shift conversions or sticking with the column shift? On the customs, more on the "show and go" customs? Curious to see what the opinions are

2. CarGar

CarGar

in '61 or '62, my first car was a '49 Chevy. JC Whitney sold a floor shift kit for the 3 speed for less than $30, I feel sure (like I can remember back that far?). I thought it was the tits, as the kids might say today. YMMV, as always.

Cheers -- Gary

Real joy comes not from ease or riches or from the praise of men, but from doing something worthwhile. -- 
Sir Wilfred Grenfell

3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Either is fine and correct. From a personal standpoint, I've always liked the look of a column shifter in a kustom. It keeps the floor nice and neat and doesn't break anything up. Totally subjective though, and my current car has a floor shifter in it.

4. kustomsrule

kustomsrule
    from L A

A lot of kustoms wanted floor shifts but there were many more column shifts in evidence. Maybe it was money (we were all poor) and maybe it was just preference, but there were many more tree shifts out on the streets.