Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Late 50s-60s Ford racing engines (427, Can-Am)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kilroy, May 31, 2009.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

Miller91's Can-Am post got me thinking...

I've always liked Ford FE motors.
    So in my reverence, I've got a healthy lust for the 427-based Can-Am motors. In fact they repop the blocks now and I'd love to get my hands on one and build a Can-Am tribute SOHC...

But I don't know anything about the internals of those motors or the ones in the GT-40s or even the motors in the racing cobras...

Or what about the illusive Boss 429-based 494 Can-Am motors?

[​IMG]

Discuss? What went into making those big Fords scream?

Pictures?

2. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Here's a couple pics of that 494" Can Am Ford

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Henry Ford II's dislike of Enzo Ferrari for backing out at the last minute for the purchase of Ferrari is what makes the Ford performance engines scream

4. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Ford had so much excellent race proven engine technology it's a shame they basically shelved everything for the better part of 12 years, until they returned to Nascar in the early `80's. Case in point; look at that cast oil pan/ dry sump system on the 494. That system was developed and used on the Indy Ford V8's from the early `60's to the 427 LeMans engines to the 494 Can Am monster you see here. If Ford had been able to support grass roots racing in the "dark days" of the 1970's their standing would be much higher among racers and enthusiasts of today. Ford wrote all the big checks in the `60's, had many successes and then failed to capture a mass following by walking away. To this day most of what is good about Ford power is almost completely lost and/or ignored by the so called "hot rod" world.