Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 1920's Sprint Car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Pete Eastwood, Feb 16, 2014.

1. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

Too Kool!
    Wish I had one!!
    Great work!

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Funny this thread should come up. I've been thinking about it lately.
    So, for the up-dates, I finished restoring the "Dunn & Reath" AA/FD.
    I got the tail for the sprint car tacked together & mounted, but not without screwing up part of it.
    Two weeks ago I cut some of the tack welds apart, and redid my screw up.
    I much happier with the tail now.
    I still have the seat, back rest portion, of the tail to fab & tack into place.
    I have a new computer, & I still have to learn how to get the pictures from the camera to the computer.
    ( I don't have a cell phone, I know that would be the easy way to do pictures ).
    When I figure that out I'll post pic's.
    I also went thru my stash & came up with a really nice low mileage "T" trans.
    I've got it freshened & about ready to reassemble, & the flywheel is in my buddy's big lathe getting lightened.
    I hope this will hold you all until I can post the pic's.

I'll leave you with these Dunn & Reath 3.jpg Dunn & Reath 1.jpg Dunn & Reath 9.jpg Dunn & Reath at OCIR.jpg

3. Wow! So glad this thread popped up as I have missed it before! Phenomenal work and very inspirational!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I forgot about this thread as well. Good to see you done with the dragster, and I MORE than understand the automotive ADD, matter of fact, I think I am the poster child for it.

More specifically, I wanted to comment on your Sporty.... Bitchin'! I remember it from Hop Up about what, 12-13 years ago? Exactly what a Sportster needs to be. I'm a Triumph nerd myself with yet another forever en devour '53 chop going. Find a part, add it the rolling pile, wait, find, repeat.

Oh wait, there's a Mini bike, Falcon, Honda step through, Model "T", etc to buy/build... ADD.

5. Wow I just found this, and I'm really glad I did! Perfect inspiration for what I working on.. Pete=Ruler!

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Chip
    I finished my mini bike !
    I wanted a Triumph, but I got a 650 Yamaha "Street Tracker". It's in a Track Master frame with Cerrianni forks & Barns quick change hubs & Airheart brakes.
    There is no end to the madness.

kidcampbell71 and need louvers ? like this.
  7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, the madness never ends.... Now bring that mini over and lets ride!

8. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pete, The Dragster looks great (what a surprise), don't you wish you could take it to Fremont and run it like we did 30 years ago !

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was checking out the details on this T in the pits at Luguna Seca last week, sure looked like an Eastwood build. It is, just not the one Pete is building for himself. Bob DSCF4267.JPG

10. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

12. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Anyone remember this great old wood board track in Altoona, PA.

Jimbo

Tipton Speedway.jpg

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Junior Palmer was the guy that knew EVERYTHING about that track, and collected all the known information on it. When he passed on the collection went to some major museum or library. I used to sell him photos of cars that ran there when I could find them. When we built out house in 1978, the first beam that was set on the foundation was paid for with funds I got from Junior, I call it the Altoona Timber. Bob

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Any updates Pete ? Or I should say Mr. Eastwood ?

15. chriseakin

chriseakin

I seem to remember reading he actually created his own frame rails, copying a pair of Essex rails because the originals were in such poor condition - maybe in R&C?

16. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hey Guys. I'll have something up in a week or so. . . .

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

The BB RAJO Sprinter is running????????????:):):):):)

Bob

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been a week...or so...inspiration is needed!!

19. Ron Plumlee

Ron Plumlee

Essex Rails.....amazing nobody repops those, must be 90 percent of all small Essex cars wound up as sprinters in the 30s and 40s, even fifties! They were perfect.

20. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

finally got a cell phone, now I have to learn how to get the pictures out of it !

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

And Duffy's Eliminator as I recall. I don't know why they were so good / light / strong. Were they boxed? Swiss-cheesed from the factory? Have great X-members? Any one know more? Gary

22. fortynut

fortynut

P-Wood, Whatever became of thirties Indy car you were restoring, at the shop in Monrovia? I sure do like the T-Truck. How fast is it? I know you know.

23. zzford

zzford

I'd like to share a couple of photos of the sprint car built by a good friend a number of years ago. Sadly, he is no longer with us, having died of cancer last year. His name was Gary Montana, from Jupiter, Florida. The car is all aluminum that he formed and gas welded at his home garage. The level of craftsmanship that Gary performed was absolutely amazing. Apart from the upholstery, lettering and chrome, Gary did it all, hand forming virtually everything that isn't original Ford.
    Montana Special 6.jpg Montana Special 6.jpg Montana Special 5.jpg Montana Special 6.jpg Montana Special 2.jpg Montana Special 5.jpg

Attached Files:

slv63, deucemac, lurker mick and 6 others like this.
  24. Saw it in Detroit this year.
    Spectacular.

25. Uncle Ronn

Uncle Ronn
    from Modesto CA

Would love to see updates on this /these projects Pete ....although @ 52 I continue to resist cell phone peer pressure.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Progress on the BB RAJO would be far more impressive.:rolleyes: Bob

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't worry to much, if you use the HAMB app, allow it to access your photos, you can click on the "insert photo" icon and BAM! picture ready for posting.

28. A Boner

A Boner

Easy.....email the pic from your cell phone to yourself (home computer), then save the email pic to your home computer. To post pic on the H.A.M.B. from your home computer, click on "UPLOAD A FILE" on the H.A.M.B., then chose "Photo Library"..... Then chose "Camera Roll"....then chose the particular pic you want.
    Make sure near the end to choose "Full Image"......not thumbnails.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

I thought I'd bring this back. There are a few guys here on the HAMB currently building Speedsters.
    I'm going to roll the car out & take pictures with the Tail on it , maybe today even !

Lowlife, alchemy, Uncle Ronn and 3 others like this.
  30. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Pete, that would be awesome. Love all this speedster and gow job building going on.

Stogy likes this.