Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Last refuge new roadster body

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Apr 20, 2014.

1. A Boner

A Boner

Like the look of the new roadster body, with the V windshield and roll up windows. How is Norby doing lately, has he added staff to keep up with orders? Is it true that everyone gets there stuff sooner or later? Here is a pic off their website. The body is a pick up body.

Attached Files:

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I am a past customer of Last Refuge and while it is or has been true that he has let folks down when it comes to supplying what he sold, his product has always been good and I believe his intentions were also good.

I hope he can get his act together and provide a little more stronger customer focus.

The new body style looks to be a winner if he can deliver on time...

3. A Boner

A Boner

Any feedback on how Norby is doing lately?

4. I took a gamble and got a pickup bed for my 32 from him. I was not in a huge hurry so I was not worried about getting it in a rush (not that I told him that). I think he would benefit from being upfront with customers regarding time frames with his parts. I think he will find that most guys are happy to wait if they are told from the start. Rather than promise it will be ready tomorrow, just say it will be 4 weeks. I did have to keep on him to get updates and there was always an excuse why it hadn't been shipped, even after he said it was finished.

5. A Boner

A Boner

Other than taking more time to get, how does it look?

If possible, could you post some pic's of your 32 truck and the "Last Refuge" box?

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

IMHO I feel that if only Norby could get his act together he would find that there would be a lot more buyer support from folks out there needing what he has to sell.

He made me a model A style pickup box to my size requirements and placed the belt line curves to suit my axle position.

Worked out real well and was not expensive...

7. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Google Last Refuge and look at the BBB items. One person has been waiting for 4 years (2009 - 2013). I got a 31 frame that took 6 months and I feel blessed but after 18 months I hadn't received any Mustang II chassis components. Quality is good if you ever get it. I wouldn't waste my time on him, personally. I would go with what other HAMBers recommend. Good luck.

Bob

8. Pickup bed is in Denver at the moment, where it will be assembled and then shipped to Australia. Haven't actually laid eyes on it :eek:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I got 2 beds from him. Quality was good but delivery took a year. I don't believe in full payment up front as it seems to take away the motivation to finish the product. On large items like chassis and bodies I've always done 1/2 down, balance when ready to ship.

10. Very well said by all, I've got stuff from him, custom made sizes, all was great, but it took about 8 months to get it! He does good work, he's just got to get his act together. 1/2 down is a good idea!

And yes that body does look good, I've played with the idea of getting as well!

Flattyv8

11. aplayer

aplayer

This is a Last Refuge bed, although I shortened it and narrowed it. It took a few weeks to get -- bought it off ebay -- and when it came it was only half there. Got the rest a couple weeks later. But the quality is good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

I have one of his roadster pickups in my shop and the customer has been waiting over 3 years for the top. It was paid for up front and he has done nothing to work with him.

The bed was welded together crooked and the body lines are very different from one side to the other.

Very disappointing product and really poor customer service.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw one in primer a friend bought. If you can be happy with a body that is close, but not an exact reproduction of the original you may be happy with it. Bob :rolleyes:

14. A Boner

A Boner

Bed looks nice. How does it arrive....do you have to weld together? Is there a floor?

Attached Files:

15. The bed comes unassembled, and there is no floor. It requires some welding to put it all together.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Thought I would update this to 2015 anyway.
    Took a little longer than was originally told. Guess that isn't too suprising with custom built stuff. Quality was real good, and I'm a little on the fussy side! Here is a pic from when we were putting it together.
    Wonder how LRHR is doing nowadays. Any feedback from 2016?

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Interesting update. The middle of this week I am going to get a Last Refuge perimeter A frame and put all P&J suspension under it plus stretching it enough for a nailhead engine. When I first looked at the project a few months ago it had the body on the frame. I really didn't take a lot of time to go over the body but it looked good at first glance. I will give an update maybe later in the week after I have time to examine it closer.

18. A Boner

A Boner

I've seen some of the cool stuff you've built, and your opinion will be very much valued.

It appears as though Norby is a guy that is trying to please, and has quite high quality standards. Any problems, like in a lot of shops that are growing, is most likely from some of the employees that tend to come and go.

Looking forward to your update.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    prewarcars4me likes this.
  19. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Got screwed by ol Norb on a frame I paid for and never received a few years ago. Beware! Always has a lot of excuses but never delivers.

20. A Boner

A Boner

Sounds like you decided to give up.

21. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

I would have dropped in for a "friendly" visit but Refuge is far from NJ.

22. Caveat Emptor..........

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

I bought one of his bodies and frame from a guy that gave up on the project.
    He said he would sell me the bed when it showed up.
    He was waiting over a year for it.
    I did buy it from, him when he got it.
    So, I decided to buy one of the v windshield frames from Norb!
    Called him, he said he just got some back in stock.
    I ordered it that day, saying I needed it asap to keep working on my project.
    After several calls and excesses from him, it showed up, over 2 months later?
    It fit like a POS. I spent about a week altering everything to get it to even
    Look anything right. I could have built the whole thing from scratch easier!
    I paid him $500 for it. Very disappointed, looks so nice in pictures!
    Never again!

24. A Boner

A Boner

So, how was the frame, body and pu box? Any pictures? Are you still working on the car?

25. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I picked up the LR frame today for putting suspension under it and looked over the body and bed. The body didn't look any rougher than some of the A bodies I've had from Brookville and to me the bed looked good. As far as to how square they were I never took time to measure them as I was racing the clock to get back to the shop and unloaded before dark.

26. A Boner

A Boner

So far, so good.....keep us up to date. Let us know as you work on it.

27. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

They are back selling again. Buyer Beware.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  28. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Great.... Another product they won't deliver on.

29. A Boner

A Boner

Any updates.....patiently waiting!

30. Duramax529

Duramax529

Well I didn’t know about all this before I had called and placed an order for a custom 31 Chevy truck bed thru Last Refuge. He told me custom beds take 10 days, as of this morning last time I talked to him, he said everything is finished but my tailgate (which is also custom) and the custom roll pan. He said he is at Sema but will be back Thursday and everything will be ready to ship Friday, which will be 2 weeks exactly from time I ordered it. lucky enough I’m only 3 hours from him so I said I would just come pick it up Saturday. He replied great everything will be ready. I have recieved one picture of one bedside but it didn’t have the stake pockets. On it yet. Guess after reading all this I need to ask for pictures of everything before I make the drive.

Attached Files: