Register now to get rid of these ads!

Last Hemi Model A Coupe update for now....Made it to the Lonestar Roundup!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I've just about finished the rolling chassis for my Model A...I just have a few odds and ends to do here and there before it's totally complete. Of course I have to run the brake and fuel lines still, and it's definitely not going to get painted or plated before the Lonestar Roundup.

I'm using 'Delco Lovejoy' knee-action lever shocks in the front. I drilled the arms out, which was a royal pain in the ass. I added 3/4" OD DOM sleeves in the frame to run the shock bolts through, so they should stay put.

[​IMG]

You can also see the Ford F-5 (dump truck) steering box has been mounted in that last pic. I built a box around the steering box out of 3/16" and 1/4" plate while I had it on the welding table, then cut the frame and stuck the box in the hole. I then set up the cowl and figured out how much the steering box would have to be angled off of the frame rail to make the column straight, and put the steering wheel in the right spot. After I had that done, I welded it all up. This leaves a recess in the frame that the steering box sits in, and does not compromise the strength of the rail.

Another shot of the shocks and the drilled F-2 backing plates with Buick drums.

[​IMG]

I also got the rear shock mounts figured out. I used '40s Dodge truck shock mounts and bent and cut them to mount the top of the tube shock. The bottom goes to a bung that I welded onto the front side of the cut-off '36 wishbones. I still have to box around the weld bung on the wishbone and blend it all together. It should be a really clean installation when finished. (I hope!)

I made the gussets in the ladder bars like the ones on the 'Rico Squaglia roadster'...America's Most Beautiful Roadster in '51.

[​IMG]

Because I mounted the shocks there, I had to put the panhard bar mount on top of the rearend housing. It seems like it will work just fine...A friend and I jumped up and down on the chassis and it didn't bottom out on the housing.

[​IMG]

I think one of the best things about this chassis is that there are only a few "store-bought" parts on it. The American Stamping '32 rails, shackles, heims, chrome shocks, tires, and misc. hardware are the only things that came off of a shelf. The rest of the stuff was either made by me or scrounged at swap meets and junkyards.

[​IMG]

This should show proof that you don't have to spend a ton of money to have a first-class chassis. With a little know-how and a lot of determination you can do it yourself.

2. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

A couple more shots.

It was important to me that there wasn't anything hanging down under the chassis to give it a cluttered look in the side profile. The wishbones and the early "lakes-style" headers are all that will hang below the frame.

[​IMG]

And finally, this is the most recent shot I have of it with the body on the chassis. I've lowered the grille shell 3/4" since I took this pic, and I think it made a big difference.

[​IMG]

I still have a ton of work to do, but with any luck I'll be driving it to the Roundup at the end of March. :)

3. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Chris, that is correct. I'm using a chopped '32 5 window windshield frame, and I leaned the posts back slightly (about 10 degrees). I was planning on making the header pieces above the windshield...but through a stroke of luck, I managed to buy a '32 Sedan/ 5w Coupe header panel from "hammeredabone" here on the HAMB, and it should be in the mail on the way right now. It will make the switch a lot easier, and I thank hammeredabone for offering up the piece.

The white coupe you were thinking about is featured in the most recent Mad Fabricators Society. My coupe's top will be similar, but different.

The body has already come a long way since I got it. Here it is after I drug it home...nearly 5 years ago now. In collecting parts for this car over the course of those 5 years, I've managed to find better pieces for almost every panel, but there are still some pieces from the original body that I'm going to have to use on the finished car.

[​IMG]

It had 157 bullet holes in it.

4. I am genuinely impressed. Some very tastfull ideas there.

Nice work man.

5. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Bass, nice work dude!!! It looks really nice man.
    Jimmy White

6. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for the kind words everybody...this car has been a long time coming.

Thanks Jimmy...I really couldn't have done it without your help and advice. You are a true hero.

I guess you can see what I was talking about on the shock dogbones. I stuck the ones that came on them back on, but they are too worn to actually use. I'm gonna call Joblot on Monday. Thanks again!

7. Nimrod

Nimrod

Thats fuckin' beautiful!

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

U-r-a Ruler!

9. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

Sweet ride- hope to see it as Roundup!

Scott

10. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

11. ian

ian

jesus christ...thats a true work of art. awsome work!!

12. k-member

k-member

Now that's a Hot-Rod! Great job.

13. Looking good, glad to hear you got a 32 header, that should make it easier.

and BTT so nobody misses a good example of home engineering.

14. Sweet looking frame, I like what you have done.
    The motor mounts are great

15. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Keep the pic's coming. That coupe is going to be a classic hot rod Bass, great work.:D

16. johnnykck

johnnykck

Wow, I mean wow as in hot dog! That's very nice, up until I saw these pictures I thought the frame I built for my model "A" was nice! But It just goes to show that there is allways some body that can do it better!

17. flatoz

flatoz

hats are off!

that is grade A bad-ass.

18. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Nice work man ya got it going on and it looks like the round up is gonna be possible.Maybe you will make it to the HRR reunion this year in Bowling Green?

Shoe

19. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Damn,son! you have been busy! I don't think you are giving yourself credit for the time you have spent...I know alot of guys without the patience to get it right like you have. my hat is off to you. (which is rare, because I even wear it in the shower)

it is just damn clean,man. nice. I think when it is done, it will outshine several of the "big money"guys rides. this thing will give a few of the mega buck builders a black eye for sure.

20. Rolf

Rolf

You do nice work, Bass-meister...

Great inspiration !

21. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Monkey, I'm going to build a set of early "lakes style" headers...basically 4 into one headers with a long collector that will hang slightlyunder the framerail, but inside the frame.

Pretty much like the ones on the Ken Gross roadster:
    [​IMG]

That's not the best picture...I'll try to find a better example. I know the Hank Negley roadster had them also.

I'm still curious to find out what you have though?

Jeem...thanks man...I think you and I see stuff in much the same way. I hope that doesn't sound like a bad thing!

22. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Here's a good example...The Joe Nitti Roadster:

[​IMG]

Mine will be up a little higher and tucked inside the frame a little more. I'll probably have block off caps also so I can run a full exhaust out the back as well for a little quieter exhaust note during normal driving.

I want to be capable to run a full hood and I'm already going to have to add blisters in the top and sides for the valve covers and carb scoops....outside headers would complicate things even more.

23. Looks real good Bass. Considering the fact that the car had 157 bullet holes in it, you oughtta paint "157 special" on the dash somewhere....

24. Beautiful fab work man...to me this is the best part of the rodding process.

Keep the pix a comin...

Rat

25. Mind Blowing and inspirational at the same time. I too have saved the pics for a mates 32 3 window. Some damn good fab work...

26. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

27. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I've got a pair of 40' Buick shocks on the rear of 26'T. So, running the risk of sounding naive, where'd you get those? I like the looks of those shocks! By the way, I REALLY like where your ride appears to be heading too! Nice work!

28. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

The Delco shocks I'm using were on my Dad's '36 Ford Coupe chassis when he bought it. I'm really not sure what they were on originally...but someone had apparently stuck them on his car at some point in the past. I think that gives them a little sentimental value?

As far as the direction I'm heading...I'm shooting for a mid 50's look...right around the time that OHV motors were taking over, but before whitewalls and pinstriping became en vouge. As of right now there are theoretically no parts going on the car newer than '54, with the exception of the '66 Bronco rearend, '65 Muncie transmission, '58 Buick drums, and possibly a few of the gauges. The cool thing about that is that with a simple wheel/tire change, I can totally change the feel and "era" of the car.

29. Bass, it seems redundant to chime in now after all the good things others have already said, but, damn it, that is a fine piece of work. I love looking at things at that stage, you can really see the thinking.

30. robster

robster

That is Killer!!! I love everything about it…chassis work, body mods, 4x2, tire sizes…everything. Well done...you have obviously thought it all out and it will be a leading car. Can't wait to see it on the road.