Register now to get rid of these ads!

last chance for Banger meet December 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

The French club say two cars like ours exist..... I am sure that doesn't include our car or the black one .... in any case not many. I have all the stuff including a 11CV 108 engine and can mount all this without changing anything. All bolt up so I may do that. We have a Topolino Roadster with a later OHV engine the original is in storage.

[​IMG]

We are the 4th owner of this roadster from new.

I think it's possible we are the 3rd owner of our coupe.

So it doesn't get anything I can't unbolt. The original engine has good compression and is complete..... It goes in a bag with a sack of drying compound.

2. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

I picked up a stromberg 97 to put on my 28 Model A. It has the original flathead 4 banger. I was told this carb is too big and wont run properly unless I change the jets and power valve to something smaller (make it a stromberg 81). Anyone running a 97? Anyone running a 97 with smaller jets and valve?
    <!-- / message -->

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

if you learn anything that works , please let me know . i tried running 2 - 97's , that didnt work . changed to a single 97 , still rich on the bottom . i changed jets / power valve , etc . put adj mains in it & getting closer . runs great out of town , runs great in town but rich ............ let me know .. steve

4. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If you want more from you banger, you need three things.
    more compression
    more air/fuel
    more cam
    In that order.

You can do the first two, but you will have trouble if you do only one.

5. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Uncle Max one of the Stromberg gurus said "Stock Banger's, running a single 97, respond nicely with .044 main jets and a #71 powervalve..."

6. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

For some reason I was looking at getting a 97 and so I had in my mind that I got a 97 but I actually got a holley 94. (Helps if you look at the carb before posting) Anyone running a holley 94? Its sluggish when its cold, when it warms up it seems to run a little better. What do I have to do to get this to run well?

7. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Live in New Mexico :)

Happy New Year

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

29Ford_jg, what are the front tires your running?

thanks
    Zach

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

jag ,
    94 , have you cleaned & rebuilt it ? should work well ! if not i have an xtra 97 ..... steve

10. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

I was told it was rebuilt when I bought it but cant say with 100% certainty. I have been told the 97s are a little to big for a banger and should be rebuilt with 81 parts. Is the 94 to big of a carb as well?

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im finally getting my 97 working good . yes it seems rich . the 94 is supposed to be a better fit for the banger . the 81 , they say , is ideal but much $$$$$ ....... steve

12. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

Yeah i realized that in my search for a carb. the 94 struggles a little when its could but once its warm it does ok. I still have to get the exhaust welded so I have some back pressure and time it and what not so hopefully I can get it running well.

13. The sluggish when cold depends on the intake manifold. You have lost your hot spot on the manifold. The old stock manifolds were heated by the exhaust manifold which helped vaporize the fuel air mixture. Mine runs real poorly in cold weather. I have a Riley two port head and right now I am running a 97 and an 81.

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You can also wrap the manifold with large copper wire.... conducts heat
    and is very old school

15. The balance tube (cross over tube) on the Robert Roof intake on the "B" gets a condensation fog on it untill the engine warms up. I don't mind waiting however as it sounds and looks so nice.:)
    Ron
    p.s. my next entry will let you hear what I'm talking about:rolleyes:.

Attached Files:

16. Click on the image and turn up the vol.[​IMG]

17. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

Its a burns intake and i also installed a reds header. So i should wait for it to warm up and then tune it? Just may be a case of it not being warm enough?

19. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Never NEVER Tune a cold engine! It's like piss'n in the ocean

Hap.... you got enough lead?? Maybe it's the updraft carbs but it don't bark at idle like our HAL ..... that is before I took it apart.

20. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

Thats what I figured but I didnt realize how much I needed to let it warm up. Didnt know the A used the heat from the manifold to vaporize the gas. Ill let it run for a little first.

21. I will repeat this again. First, when I was a Kid you couldn't give an 81 away. They were offa of those little ford engines made with sheetmetal sides that wouldn't pull a sick whore offa a pisspot. No one ran 81's. They just don't give the top end of a 97. How are you going to "Make" an 81 outa a 97 or verse visa? They are two different size of throttle bore. Not trying to rain on someones parade but there it is! I recently spoke to an old flathead V8 buddy and I told him what 81's wre selling for and he just couldn't understand why anyone wanted them. Period correct? Not hardly! Current period, I guess. If you want your car to look like a hot rod you can run 81's and impress your friends but if you want your car to run like and be a hot rod run 97's. Speedway don't usually sell junk, did they offer to make good on the 97's?
    Now, on to Bluto's comment. With my homemade Al. side draft/draught manifolds or my Al. Riley 2 port the engine just doesn't run worth a S--t until the balance tube builds up some heat. The car stumbles and just doesn't want to get off the dime until the temp gauge reads 190. Now when the temp gets up to 190 the car runs and it can cool down after the initial 190 because it has to get to that temp to get the manifold warm enough then it will keep the heat there and run good even if the temp drops to 170 180.
    HA HA HA I run Winfields!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  22. Attached Files:

23. Jaguar6165

Jaguar6165

I dont have to have 81's I just wanted feedback on which direction I should take. Like I said earlier the 81 idea is gone because I picked up a holley. SO im just trying to figure out how to make it run well. I also want to get a high comp head. Either a 5.5 or 6 to 1. Will this help?

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

yes either head will help .................. steve

25. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My V8-60 Has alloy heads, two pot carb, cast headers, two piece oil pan and an 8BA Dist. all stock....... There's a stroker crank in there too. :D

Attached Files:

26. Yes, and after all that it would finally beat a "hot" "A" or "B" Buddy of mine had a 38 sedan with one of those little engines, it was an embarrassment. Once met a fellow at the beach and he had a late 37 coupe that his father bought new with a "60" in it. He took it back to the dealer and had a "B" installed. The guy still has or had the car with all of the receipts. You have to be careful when buying 81's. Quite a few were used with alcohol in midgets and have been drilled out. According to Jere Jobe some are not restorable.

27. 562roadster

562roadster

Zach,

The fronts are 5.50x17 Denman's.

-George

28. Here is a picture for all you guys screwing with those old seepng, leaking, float sticking Strombergs with the hammered tops. Espacially for the guys using the ones offa those puny little ford V8 60's. This car has dual Winfields! Also for all of those dreaming and hoping to save enough to buy an overhead conversion. This car has an AL. Winfield repop from Antique Auto in other words it is a flathead and an "A" not a "B".

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  29. Bill; Now you are just plain showing off ;-)
    Ron
    p.s. Happy New Year !!

30. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

My winning sign

Talk about showing off :D

[​IMG]